Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are supposed to get Shaw Home phone installed tomorrow and tonight I was talking to a friend who recently had it installed. She was concerned about my phone number not working as she's been trying to call me and kept getting a weird beep signal instead of ringing. I prodded a bit and found out she switched to Shaw phone a couple months ago and the caller ID show the area code and then the 7 digit phone number. So, when she hits the button to call from the caller ID, it dials the area code and phone #.

Then I read back here, and one of the review threads talked about long distance numbers coming in with only the area code and 7 digit number so that you can't dial them directly. You either have to dial it from scratch or edit the phone # in the caller ID if your phone allows this.

Can anyone else confirm that Shaw sends the area code for local #'s instead of just the 7 digit number, and only the area code instead of 1+ area code for long distance #'s? and as such, you're not able to call directly from your caller ID

·
Registered
877 Posts
Shaw always sends 10 digits. Therefore, you can make local calls from your Caller ID but not long distance calls.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Although my friend is not able to make local calls. She just gets the weird busy signal kind of sound that you get when a call doesn't go through properly.

I'm hesitant to switch if I can't make local calls from my caller ID. Our whole family uses that feature a lot.

One other thing, if the #'s are coming in with 10 digits, they won't match what's in my phone's phonebook. So, none of our nicknames will come up which is another thing we love. I could switch the phonebook to all 10 digit numbers, but if I'm going to get a fast busy signal when I dial out, then that's useless.

I tried dialling with 10 digits from my current home phone but it tells me I'm trying to call a long distance number so obviously Shaw is handling this differently if it can be done. And I'm not certain it can be done right now with my friend's experience.

·
Registered
877 Posts
What city do you live in? In Vancouver where I live, 10-digit dialing is mandatory for local calls.

Some phones have a feature that allow you to set your area code. In that case, the phone will strip the area code and display only the 7-digit number. Would that help?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Saskatchewan. No 10 digit dialling here at this time.

I did check my phone for the area code setting and it does not have it. Panasonic seems to have pulled many features from their recent cordless models. Presumably to make them cheaper. I'd rather have the features and pay more personally.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you get the chance, please mention this to Shaw. I've heard a few reports of this issue (not being able to return calls from Caller ID) and it would be useful if they could address it. I already asked about it but will mention it again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The installer is coming tomorrow so I will mention it to him then. If I can't return calls via caller ID, I won't be getting the service. They have their equipment installed at our house already from months ago, and are just getting back here now to finish up. So the installer either has to finish up the install or remove the equipment.

I will try and call during the day tomorrow in case it helps to discuss it with someone before the installer comes.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Saskatchewan. No 10 digit dialling here at this time.

I did check my phone for the area code setting and it does not have it. Panasonic seems to have pulled many features from their recent cordless models. Presumably to make them cheaper. I'd rather have the features and pay more personally.
On my Panasonic phone (KX-TGA401C), I can get my phone to prepend the 1+ to the number as follows:

1. Press left arrow (CID menu)
2. Press down arrow (most recent call)
3. Press EDIT (middle soft button) The phone now displays the 1+ phone number
4. Press TALK (or speakerphone) to dial.

Similar steps can be taken to add a number to your address book as a 7,10,or 11 digit number; address book entries always show up as you saved them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank tux but my phone doesn't have that option. There is no ability to edit the caller ID on this model. And there's no ability to set an area code as the default (I mentioned this earlier).

I can definitely save numbers in whatever format I wish, but saving them as 10 digits numbers means I can't call out via my phonebook since you can't call with 10 digits here. But that would be the only way to make the caller ID match my phone book entry.

Even if I had a different model that could edit the callerID entries, I've got young kids who can recognize numbers to call back (family) but aren't yet able to go through the process to edit numbers and remove the area code for local calls. And that could get annoying real fast doing that on a daily basis.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

My update for today. The Shaw installer came and I asked him about the 10 digits being sent via caller ID and not being able to return calls from the caller ID list. He said that he returns calls from his caller ID list all the time without editing the # and said we'd test it and make sure it worked before he left. So, I let him do the last bit of the install. He called from his cell and it showed up as 10 digits. I called him back from my caller ID list and it worked perfectly. So, SaskTel doesn't allow 10 digit dialling locally, but Shaw does.

Later in the evening I got a spam long distance call and I decided to try and call it back from the caller ID list. I got a message saying I had to have a 0 or 1 prefix to call the #, so that didn't work. BUT, the "Edit" option that Tux pointed out is now available on my phone! So, I clicked "Edit" and it instantly plops a 1 in front and I can hit call and dial the #. So, it takes 2 clicks to call a long distance #. Sweet! I can handle that.

I scrolled back through my caller ID list from when we were still on SaskTel and there is only phone # that has the edit option and that's 310-SHAW when they called last week to confirm our appointment. Snor other than that Shaw #, I've never had the edit option before. All current calls in the list coming over the Shaw network now have the edit option EXCEPT for #'s that match to a phonebook entry. So, my phone is being smart about something.

Oh, and I didn't have to edit my phonebook entries either. My phone is also being smart and matching the 10 digit numbers up with the 7 digits numbers in the phonebook. And of course I can call locally with the 7 digit # from the phonebook as well.

So, in the end, I'm super happy so far! The sound quality didn't seem any different than SaskTel although I've only had a couple calls so far.

I haven't had the opportunity to see how a SK long distance calls shows up (presumably the same as the Ontario spam long distance call I received), nor have I had a chance to see how name display comes up since the calls I've received so far either haven't had a name (spam or cell phone) or were matched to my phonebook.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts