Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for all of you guys who currently own the Latest Gateway HDPVR.

I was thinking about upgrading to the new Gateway PVR but I was hoping you guys could answer some questions about the ON DEMAND content

When I upgraded my very old PVR (big grey Motorola box 10 years old) to a newer PVR (Motorola black MPEG) I noticed that my on demand content of TV shows was much larger.

If I upgrade to this new latest model (Gateway) will have I have EVEN MORE on demand TV content to choose from?

Specifically I want to know about PBS, CNN and K: network. On my old PVR these are not available on demand, will these channels feature on demand content?

I also noticed that programs that air on City TV on my current PVR only go back one episode. On the new PVR will they show me more past episodes (Lethal Weapon, Blacklist, etc)

I also read on this message board that with the gateway PVR you need at least one portal and that it could not be hooked up to a tv. Is this true?

Multiple responses to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Especially to those of you who currently own the gateway PVR and can look up this information for me about City TV, CNN, K:, and PBS content on demand.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Not sure about City On Demand, but you won't get access to US networks for on demand content (like CNN or PBS).

Also, if you just have one TV, you can get just the Gateway HD PVR - no need for a separate portal unless you have more than one TV.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,258 Posts
You can use https://vod.shaw.ca/ to order VOD sent to your PVR if you have a situation where the PVR can't display all of the episodes available. If you browse the site without logging into your Shaw ID, you can see all the channels that Shaw provides, including those that you don't subscribe to. Once you log in, you can add an episode to your wish list.

Shaw also has a "Shaw On Demand" app that does the same thing for Android and Apple phones and tablets if that is more convenient.

Regarding City TV: the number of episodes available and the length of time they are available varies depending on the individual program and the rights granted by the copyright holder. For example LA -> Vegas currently has 4 episodes available.

The current Gateway can connect to a TV and doesn't need an extra portal. The old original Gateway couldn't connect to a TV and needed at least one portal to display a picture.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forgot to ask one question

If i get the new HDPVR box is there anyway i could transfer or get back the saved recordings on the old box, or are those recordings lost forever.

I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is that i can't do that, but i just want to make sure with you guys

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts