Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is interesting....Although if your on a 15-20$ a month plan, another 10 seems like a lot.
I'm impressed that Shaw appears interested in improving Voip from other providers.
Hopefully people will post their experience with this service. Maybe they offer a free month like many of their other services?

·
Registered
14 Posts
improved service on their lines

Sith said:
I was browsing Shaw's site and they have this thing where they can charge people who use other providers for their voip telephone service $10/month extra for improved service on their lines.
All this means is that Shaw customers who pay the additional $10/month extra for improved service on their lines for VoIP will have bandwidth shaping [traffic shaping] that provides a higher minimum of service for constant streams [traffic classes] like VoIP. Commercial clients already have minimum QoS levels -- so for consumers the $10/month extra is actual is a good business idea that somewhat mimics what commercial clients already get. On the other hand it really should not cost extra since this is all done automatically by the big backbone routers in place if they have been configured properly from the get go. :rolleyes: So I see this just as another way for Shaw or any ISP to get extra recurring income streams for no effort or cost.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
mozerd said:
So I see this just as another way for Shaw or any ISP to get extra recurring income streams for no effort or cost.
Not unlike phone compaines charging a premium for dial-tone lines or $5+/month for services like Caller ID, Voice Mail, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a rip off to me. What next, Shaw starts saying - "for $20/month more we'll make your picture a little less staticy...smells like a form of negative billing "we'll make your service wosre and worse until you pay us more to stop"

·
Banned
126 Posts
I had Shaw internet service with a 3rd party VoIP up until 3 days ago. VoIP sounded beautiful on my Shaw high speed service and I was pinging at 55-60ms all the time. Than literally overnight my pings jumped to 59-700ms and VoIP sounded like $hit. Internet also grinded to a halt. Many, many complaints and service calls did nothing. They claimed everything was PERFECT. I found out roughly 6 weeks ago that my upstream card on the node was overloaded with too many users. This was confirmed by a Shaw supervisor. The supervisor told me they needed to order the part and all would be well. Than I found out that they were trying out bandwidth sharing software and that it looked to be the solution to mine and many peoples issues in our neighbourhood. I cancelled service last week as I was sick of paying for a crippled internet service. Enough was enough! Low and behold they now offer QOS for $10 extra a month and that it is specifically designed for VOIP!! My service worked fine until they crippled it. Now for 10 bucks extra a month you can have it back. This reminds me of users complaining in BC of bandwidth traffic sharing on bitorrent where uploads were slow and downloads were even slower. Shaw played stupid to it and said they were doing nothing. It was later found out that they were en fact bandwidth traffic shaping all along and were just playing dumb when customers would complain. Hmmm sounds awfully familiar to what happened to me for months upon months upon months. This is just a friendly shout out to those experiencing similar issues right now. Don't let Shaw lie to you about what is wrong. There is something wrong and they know about it. Sadly with no CRTC intervention due to it being internet. Companies such as Shaw can get away with this and customers have 2 solutions. Put up with it or try a different provider. Thanks for listening, I apologize for the long post but it just burns me when a company blatantly and openly does this to there paying customer base.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The whole issue here does smell really fishy, so to speak. I'll just bet SHAW is deliberately crippling 3rd party VOIP services. If this is the case they can be in serious trouble with the CRTC. SHAW was the one that stalled and stalled allowing 3rd party Internet access onto their systems, and got their knuckles rapped by the CRTC. If you make a complaint to Vonage, they will investigate this assuming they were your VOIP provider. That Qos service SHAW is offering is just a scam because VOIP works fine without Qos , and besides SHAW can only control traffic within their own network, and since 3rd party VOIP packets leave their network, then Qos is useless. This is what makes me inclined to think that what they have done is deliberate or they are testing something. Mind you, they wont get away with it once its confirmed and reported to the CRTC. It sounds like an attempt for SHAW to profit on customers using 3rd party VOIP providers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been reading these forums for a while and just wanted to post an experience i had with shaw's service and voip.

About 3 months ago I started to have a few issues with my Primus phone. I would lose calls and the break up was so bad i would have to use my cell phone sometimes. At first I blamed Primus because all my other cable services were working fine. I called Primus and after waiting on hold for what seemed like hours on end I got a customer service rep. She really wasn't a lot of help and told me to call my internet provider. She switched my codec and it seemed to help a little but I took her advice and called shaw.
On the first service call the technician couldn't find anything wrong. He seemed to go through everything and went as far as to change my modem and patch cords. He also had a lap top and he said my ping times were a little high but it should be ok. Speed also seemed ok.
So I had to call again. This time another technician came out and after talking with him he said that he couldn't see anything wrong but it was probably an intermitant issue. He went through what the first technician did and redid it. This guy didn't seem to know were to go so he called his supervisor. After talking to his supervisor the technician said that he couldn't see anything wrong but if the issue reoccured to call his supervisor directly. Needless to say it was the next day I used the number. The first thing he said is wow that phone sounds aweful.
He went through some trouble shooting tricks with me like taking it out of my router and putting it directly into my modem. He also said he would get someone out to check the line to my house in case there was an issue that wasn't showing up on the regular test equipment. Honestly I am not sure if hooking the VOIP directly helped but the next day a Shaw truck pulled up outside and started working in my ped. I came out to talk to him and he said that there was a line problem to my house. He asked if they could run a line from the lamp post and said it was temporary until he could get a new line buried to my house. This is going to happen this summer. After the line was put to my house my phone cleared up. About 10 days later i also recieved a phone call from the supervisor to make sure that everything was still ok.
It took a few tries but even though I vented a little they were patient and explained what they were doing at any time. I am very impressed with Shaw's service and even though it took a few tries they did get the job done. After this experience i would really doubt that Shaw would do what is claimed here since they were so up front with me.
So the question I guess would be, "Is anyone else all the sudden having issues with their VOIP or are they just targeting Vision?"

·
Banned
126 Posts
First time poster and it is a glowing review of Shaw. Worked for Shaw long?

On a more serious note. My issues were confirmed by a Shaw Internet Technical supervisor. My issue is legitimate and has been confirmed by them. They did not want to fix it, period. Nothing made up here, this all really happened...

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all i don't work for Shaw. As a matter of fact i used to manage a Satelite company back in the days of VC2 boards and 10' dishes. Back in the golden days of satelite.

Also not my first post. Just been away for a while and couldn't remember my who I used to be.

I guess i picked this one to post to because i had a simular experience that was completely the opposite of yours. Maybe it was the soap box you were standing on and it always drives me a little nuts when people follow like minions on a band wagon they have never riden on.

But to get back on topic I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with a third party product that is piggy backing on someone elses network. Mine works fine. I have had Satelite phones, Telus in 2 provinces, cell phones from various companies and now VOIP. The voip so far has been good value for the money and if there is an issue $10 a month is not such a bad price for a garantee that my phone will be usuable. My Telus bill was $70 per month, The satelite phone was a camp phone and the price was stupid, cell phones usually cost me 100-$150 per month. My primus bill is $25 per month. Plus 10 for Qos it's still half (not including the $$ for my Shaw Exttreme Speed internet which i would have anyways). At the moment i don't need Qos but if i ever do it is there. I am also not sure i need the shaw phone but it would be nice to have more than 1 phone ring. Is that worth the extra $20... we will see.

Anyways thanks for the discusion Vision but i think i will stay on topic from here on in. i am not here to pick a fight. By the way thanks for the welcome to the group but my opinion doesn't mean anything sentence on your first direct post to me. People really like that sort of thing. To be serious.....

ps. Does anyone know what Qos is an acronym for?

·
Banned
899 Posts
mozerd said:
Commercial clients already have minimum QoS levels -- so for consumers the $10/month extra is actual is a good business idea that somewhat mimics what commercial clients already get. On the other hand it really should not cost extra since this is all done automatically by the big backbone routers in place if they have been configured properly from the get go. :rolleyes: So I see this just as another way for Shaw or any ISP to get extra recurring income streams for no effort or cost.
This is wrong...

QoS takes a great deal of internal resources to implement. Very FEW commercial clients have QoS on their networks. Many have CoS (Class of Service) which is VERY different, and can be done on the router level and honored by the core (most cores, anyway). The US is a totally different situation... massive cities with limited bandwidth, and limited last mile technologies.

QoS is NOT automatic, and useless on the core (Unless your telco core is congested, which is a massive massive problem in itself.) The cogestion is on the "Last Mile" (which is the shared PPPoE group in this case) where the client has a T1 and needs an E10 for example. THAT is where QoS (MPLS) really shines, making sure your VoiP traffic gets priority instead of your local software pirate downloading DVD's. Most Telco's (and all in Canada) have over provisioned cores, and are no where near capacity in transfer. QoS or CoS would not hide the fact that a core is congested to a power customer... no telco would risk that.

Shaw is charging for QoS because THEY are being charged for setting up each of the QoS customers, or have to spend internal resources to do it. Routers have to be programmed, core switches have to be configured. In fact, I'm willing to bet that Shaw is only providing CoS since it's only $10 a month.

That being said... you shouldn't need QoS on home based VoiP. If you do, it's because your sub-division is over using the bandwidth... switch to another provider and your problem may go away.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Mike F said:
That being said... you shouldn't need QoS on home based VoiP. If you do, it's because your sub-division is over using the bandwidth... switch to another provider and your problem may go away.
In many locations you have two choices for broadband - phone co. or cable co. If you want to use VoIP then you likely are moving away from the phone company and it isn't an option for broadband unless they will sell "naked" DSL.

Therefore switching to another provider may sound like a good idea but in practice many people will not have that option.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
bumped due to recent Vonage announcement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike F said:
This is wrong...

QoS takes a great deal of internal resources to implement. ...
And how do you explain this from a technical perspective ? QoS is not a huge thing.. you have to turn on some bits and add some stuff to provisioning... and this does not cost mega$$$. We can go into more details, but I digress....

SHAW is plainly ripping off the average joe who do not (need to) understand how IP networks operate.

Most other ISPs (cable or DSL) do not have as bad a reputation for providing good (3rd party) VoIP service. I've had both Rogers and Bell - and both fixed initial problems and intermittent problems...

I would keep on complaining until the CRTC wakesup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I heard that ISPs are deliberately delaying packets for certain types of traffic (like VOIP), just to create a need for a second tier of service like this that they can charge extra for.
Since your VOIP calls go over the public Internet, the delays that they are "improving" could only be on their part of the network.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SHAW is screwing their customers. No question about it!

*** This is a double post, but I want people to see more evidence that Shaw is screwing their customers who do choose a 3rd party VOIP service ***

I just moved back to Calgary from the U.S. where I was using a cable broadband service. Not once EVER did I have poor quality service using Vonage for over one and a half years. Not ONCE! I moved to Calgary and have been using Shaw for 6 months now and at times, my Vonage service is unusable.

To point out just how poor Shaw is though... my wifes parents are missionaries in India, but are from Calgary also. In order to provide cheap calling, they also have Vonage and a Calgary phone number. When talking to them when living in the U.S. or talking to the with our cell phones in Canada, they sound like they are on any normal land line.

HOW IS IT that an Indian internet provider can provide better quality of service than Shaw, who supposedly is a leading edge broadband provider? Pure BS I say.

I just orderd the QoS today to hopefully improve my VOIP quality but from what I am reading, I should not hold my breath.

Taurkon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts