Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows about Shaw offering any of their existing customer who qualifies for and considering taking Telus TV (not sure about satellite TV) getting a choice of (1) two free HD STBs, or (2) one free HD PVR. Apparently, you have to go to the Shaw office and show them your driver's license before you get the goods.

Heard this thru a friend in Vancouver. Unfortunately, I called and wasn't offered this deal. Has anyone else heard of this, or is there some kind of promo code, or something? :confused:

Thanks.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
These types of offers have been made by Shaw over the year. Currently it might be for people in Vancouver. In the past, similar offers were made in WInnipeg.

Its something that Shaw will do if they are facing stiff competition in a particular market or from a particular satellite tv operator

Here are a couple of threads

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67313
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72335

Try searching this forum for "free" and you'll find similar posts discussing offers made to members by SHaw CSR's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Confirmed YES!

I am an existing Shaw customer with 2 x non-HD STB's ... went in to local Shaw office this afternoon to request HDPVR upgrade. I was quoted the standard $598 price but after noting current competitor's promotions (Bell & Telus) I was offered "6 months free rental & $398 purchase after 6 months". I declined, noting competion offerings, then was referred to call Shaw to discuss.

So I called Shaw Customer Service (while in car outside the local office), referred to competion offerings & discussion with in-store CSR, put on hold for few minutes then ... VOILA! Offered & accepted FREE Motorola 3416 HDPVR plus 6 months discounted service. (FYI, no threats, huffing or puffing required, just good ol' fashioned professionalism & business diplomacy.) :D

Walked back inside Shaw office to same CSR & picked up FREE HDPVR per newly-added notes on account. Went home, hooked up & activated new box ... the rest is history.

Thank you Shaw & Digital home!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi there,

That is a very good deal, however the Pvr that they have given Dogstar is the 3416. It is just a PVR. It has no HD capability.

If you subscribe to say Movie Central, you will have access to the HD versions but they will be in SD and are letterboxed. They look good, but not HD.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sith, you are misinformed. the 3416 is the next generation of the 6416, it is the dual tuner HD pvr. The only difference is that it does not have the ability to tune analog channels, digital only.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi Hedge,

Thanks.

Sorry about that everyone. I just realized after posting that I may have jumped the gun. I was going on memory with my parents one that is the 3000 model but is just the pvr. No Hd on that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3416 = digital dual-tuner HD PVR

Yup, the Motorola 3416 is a digital dual-tuner HD PVR as verified by the awesome clarity of the HD channels last night. I switched to the all-digital signal map awhile ago to improve the basic clarity on my non-HD STB's (definite improvement of analog channels on digital map) so I was not concerned when I received the 3416 (digital tuners) vs. the 6416 (digital/analog tuners).

The price (FREE) of the 3416 was just right for me. :p

As a side-note, Shaw did not request either of my non-HD STB's back so I got to keep 'em. I had them de-activate one when they provisioned the new HDPVR STB without any problems or concerns.

Cheers. Dogstar.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dogstar,

Which promo's for Telus and Bell did you talk to them about. I would love to have a HD PVR in the bedroom in place of my regular box.

·
Registered
300 Posts
:mad: Same here I called shaw and the rep told me that there was no such promotion I want to get a second box for my bedroom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been tinkering with the idea of switching over to Bell. I like that their new PVR has the ability to plug an external drive into it to so when I read this I thought I'd call shaw and see if they would make it worth my while to stay.

I had such an terrible CSR that I am now seriously contemplating switching. When I called to see what they can do to keep me and make me want to leave even more that's pretty bad.

Anyway I called back to complain, I talked to a supervisor and she's going to have someone call me back to see what they can do for me.

Yet another classic Shaw move.:mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hot Potato,

I referred to:

1. Bell ExpressVu promo ~ 50% off HD PVR + $100 in-store discount = $199 (& other promo credits)

2. Telus TV promo ~ 2 FREE HD STB's (& other promo credits)

Shaw is well aware of the competition offerings as demonstrated by both the local in-store & phone CSR's initial responses, however, having done my homework ~ thanks to Digital Home ~ was helpful in comparing offerings & resulting offers.

Cheers. Dogstar.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well,

I think I'm about done with Shaw. They never did call me back, I called them and I'm still not happy.

They offered me the standard HD box for 1 year for free but couldn't tell me what would happen at the end of the one year.

I think it's time to put up a dish at least I would get a better picture and more channels for the crap when I have to talk to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bobvan
"... I called shaw and the rep told me that there was no such promotion ..."
I don't believe there is a formal Shaw promotion for this either, just customer retention considerations dependant on customer history, market pressures, competition, etc.

Hot Potato
"I think I'm about done with Shaw. They never did call me back, I called them and I'm still not happy."
Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful. As with anything involving the cable co's (& telco's for that matter) your experience with one CSR may differ from that of another CSR. Go visit a local office for a friendly face-to-face with competitors' offers in hand, it may work, it may not.

As they say, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Cheers. Dogstar.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Shaw sent me a Trade in your old satellite receiver and get an HDPVR plus one month of HDTV service free card. I'm just using their high speed Internet these days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No go in Winnipeg. Just called Shaw. I mentioned the Bell deal (we don't have Telus here) and they offered me 50% off. I then mentioned that others were being offered free HDPVRs, they said that was only for their Winback promo and was by invitation only to former Shaw customers who switched. My co-worker got the offer from them a week ago, he's with MTS.

I did manage to get Full Cable for $6.00/month more than what I'm paying for basic cable for 6 months though.

Better than nothing I guess.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yup, got my NEW DCT6416 III last weekend. Traded *C HD505. First month free with most specialty channels available as a preview for the month.
They need proof of current satellite service. Also trade in a second reciever and recieve a digital terminal free. Units may be refurbished.
This mailout was in Red Deer and expires Aug31. YMMV.

Trying to quit startchoice was like pulling teeth. They offered a HDPVR with a 200 dollar discount by reducing my bill by $10.00 a month for 20 months. He had all kinds of reasons not to switch. I saw an ad today from Bell which now has a HDPVR for 200 bucks so..

·
Registered
835 Posts
When I first got shaw (back in January) I bought a Shaw HD box for 400 bones from future shop. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the 700 for a HDPVR (the price at the time).

now i regret not buying the pvr. But I called them and told them about bells deal.

After a little tug of war, they came back said i was a valued customer and offered me the hdpvr for 299. They'll also give me 200 for the old HD box. So I'm ok with that, 100 bux to get the pvr added.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts