Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaw has a new cell phone biz. Called Shaw Mobile, it seems distinct from Freedom.

I am a light cell phone user, so I'd be interested only in the $0 per month plan (unlimited talk & text), with $10/GB data purchases every 90 days. That's around $3 per mo. I currently use Freedom and their "250MB" plan, which suits my needs at $15/mo.

The fine print, however, shows the Shaw Mobile $0 plan as $ 15/mo with a $15 discount, changeable by Shaw at any time without notice.

BTW, their 5G network upgrade is coming real soon now.

Perhaps I'll just save myself the aggravation of a change.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts

As with anything, there are a few caveats to be aware of. First, Shaw Mobile’s best prices are only for its internet customers. The regular rates are higher; $15 per month for the By The Gig plan — which is still quite good — and $85 for the Unlimited Data plan.

McAleese also noted that the plan pricing available at launch would be “introductory.” He didn’t say how long it would be available but indicated it wasn’t permanent and could change down the line.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Tried to get started on the mobile deal while down in the lower mainland. Called customer service first. She stumbled around, said her computer would not reboot and then told me the service is not available in the Shuswap in BC, when their coverage shows it is available!!!
They say you use their hotspots, national network or whatever. Seemed like a pretty dumb answer from customer service. Of course now that I am home a "mobile store" is 1.5 hours away!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
My Godfather heard about Shaw mobile, and checked out their plans and was impressed, The sad part is they only service Western Canada. I told him just wait a bit and see if they launch in eastern Canada, it is only a matter of time before they launch here. The plans might cost a bit more but even at slightly more they would work out to a better deal. Freedom Mobile is part of Shaw so the coverage should be decent in Ontario, as long as u don't go up north often

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
My Godfather heard about Shaw mobile, and checked out their plans and was impressed
Did he make you an offer you can't refuse? ;)

I wonder why they created a separate brand from Freedom.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
Then maybe Rogers should rename Cantel. Oh wait... ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
This isn't really that good if you use more than 2GB of data. Looking at the coverage map, the 25GB is pretty much in a few places, everywhere else seems to be covered under the nationwide coverage portion, which only allows 2GB per month.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Did he make you an offer you can't refuse? ;)

I wonder why they created a separate brand from Freedom.
1. Lmao, @ the godfather joke

2. All jokes aside, Here is what I think... Most carriers have a "parent" brand and a "child" brand, some have two children. like Fido/chatter is to Rogers Wireless, Virgin/Lucky mobile is to Bell Mobility, Koodo is to Telus Mobility.

I always wondered about Shaw, maybe it was too cost prohibitive for them to start a brand new wireless network from scratch so instead of building one, they acquired one. I have the feeling Shaw will be the Flagship/Parent Brand, and Freedom will be its "child" brand. Kinda unusual for the Child brand to start first then the parent brand next, but nothing is impossible in the Telecom world.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Got my sims and set up the account. They sure use a lot of trees at Walmart to document the requirements for Shaw Mobile! 8 pages with lots of black border.
Of course my address is missing unit # so I need to contact Shaw help to ensure the $40 initial setup charge gets processed.
(&(^&^)( Can't even enter an address these days. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I decided to try the service. I wanted to add it via eSIM to my iPhone SE. Mobile Shop said Shaw doesn't offer that yet, so I wandered over to Walmart and once I got to the front of the queue, it was quick and painless to install. Not surprisingly, so far it has all worked, including on the fringe of coverage outside Merritt on the "Nationwide" service. Even though I have Shaw Business Internet, the introductory rate for internet customers does not apply.:confused: I got the $15 Buy the Gig plan, with a free GB for 90 days. Unlimited Talk and Text, and $10/GB for 90 days, which rolls over. I set up all my data to go to the Shaw connection, and left everything else on Virgin (Bell). After everything was working I turned of Roaming for USA, and Int'l. I could also turn off Nationwide roaming, but I need that to work in the "Real" world.

I think the $25/mo. cost is reasonable, and even though the "Unlimited" plan is pricey at $80/Mo. I might move to it depending on my data usage. Would have been a no brainer at the $45 price.(y)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
gzink, where in the Shuswap? I'm seasonal in Scotch Creek, but I have full time neighbours who have Shaw internet. I'd be interested in knowing about your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Shaw mobile is available in Vernon/Armstrong..Kamloops/Monte Creek and other urban areas with nationwide available elsewhere including Blind Bay. I did not get good results with a Sky(old phone) but had good results with an old iphone 5.
If in the nationwide area and not in the direct Shaw mobile network area, they may well cancel the account presumably they would be paying fees to partners and with a $0 account collecting nothing.
Shaw internet in Scotch Creek????

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
There is Shaw Internet/TV in Scotch Creek. One neighbour has Blue Curve TV/Internet, the other a 50 mbps service. I have the 50 service as well. I currently have the Freedom Mobile service that I use all summer. My cell connects with not only my 'home' wif-fi, but any Shaw hot spot I run across in the area. I've been using this phone out here for the past 4 years without a problem. So I presume the Shaw mobile would work too.

My big problem is that I am on a grandfathered plan with Freedom and I don't trust Shaw as far as I could throw them not to raise prices annually on their new service.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yes. You acquired the phone through Freedom I imagine so it would almost certainly work as it does now.
Your trust issue is understood for sure.
For $20 and 0/month you could "play" with it in the phone at times.
For me it's a bit of a hobby!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just curious if anyone hooked up the new shaw mobile in the Calgary/Airdrie area. How have you found the service. Have the TV and internet service and what with having a work phone as well figured the zero dollar plan and pay by the gig with rollover might be attractive IF it works well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts