Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was noticing its been a long time, over a year since my cable boxes showed a message from shaw. Does any one know if this feature was axed?
The messages generally were not all that useful but I used to get them a lot and lately not a thing.

Any one else notice this?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The last time I remember getting a message on the Shaw Digital Box, a few years back, they were having a problem with the messaging system where messages wouldn't stay deleted. If you deleted a message, it would pop back 5 minutes later.

Since I haven't seen a message since, I'm assuming they "fixed" this problem by not sending any more messages.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I haven't seen one in a while, but last year I noticed my parents had one on their box, when I opened it, it was several months old. They didn't have a clue what to do and it didn't get in their way so they never bothered. I'm guessing the vast majority of Shaw customers never even bothered to read them and if it costs them money, can't blame them for getting rid of it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well basically the messages served no purpose at all. It was always useless information. Never was the message about a new or upcoming channel or service. The odd event message. Overall though the message system was flawed.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Often any time a message was sent out it drove up call volume as well as many customers needed assistance in deleting the message or did not know what the new light was for (new message indicator light)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think if the message light comes on, and you don't read or delete it, it eventually just gets deleted by Shaw. I know my parents don't go into their messages and the messages eventually just go away.

I do recall that issue about two years ago, the message box kept coming on 5 minutes after you deleted a message. The messages were always something generic like "order Shaw VOD today, a world of entertainment!".

I wouldn't mind if they used the message feature for special things - ex: to notify us if a channel is on free preview, as not everyone has a computer to view the Shaw website to get such information.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I think they just disabled the message feature. They never announced anything useful like free previews anyway, just spam like "Shaw VOD rules! Order now!".

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reason you no longer see these messages is because the newer Controllers (DACs) no longer support them. These were upgraded around summer time last year, hence the timing you stopped seeing the messages.

Tux nailed it with the delete and reappearing of the messages 5 minutes later. The DAC still allows you to send the messages, but there is something fundamentally broken within the system and Motorola just stopped supporting the option to send messages letting Rovi (or whichever guide provider the MSO uses) take over that function.

To DSgamby's point about money, this is partially true. TVGuide (Rovi) offers to insert messages into the Guide data they provide at considerable cost. I wouldn't say that we stopped using it because it was too expensive. There are better ways to communicate with our customers as mentioned in other posts.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
And their literature says they will send notices using the message system on the new Gateway/Portal equipment when there are 'updates', etc. Perhaps the messaging system is different on the new equipment?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts