Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from press release today (edited for brevity)

Shaw Communications Inc. announced today the launch of its new broadband VOD Player.

Shaw customers will be able to search and order programs on VOD.SHAW.CA to enjoy either on TV or on their computers via the new broadband VOD Player. Titles like The Wolfman, It's Complicated, The Hurt Locker, Hot Tub Time Machine and From Paris With Love will be available for customers to watch on demand, with more titles being added each month.

Added to the broadband VOD line-up are new release movies from Universal Studios, Maple Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM). In addition, customers with Movie Central as part of their TV package can order and stream movies and shows from Movie Central at no additional charge. Award winning HBO TV series such as True Blood, Entourage and Big Love are also featured for Movie Central subscribers on Shaw's broadband VOD Player.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its a software download that allows you to watch online. I contacted Shaw asking questions about it but they never bother to answer my questions so here's hoping some Shaw Cable users can tell us!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hey guys I can help out a little. Heard there should be a proper press release soon though.

Anyway, it works much the same way if you order VOD online to play on any TV at home, except you have the option to watch it online at the website now. Select titles to start and it will be fleshed out more as time goes on.

I took some screen shots to help out.

The VOD Player streams movies online through a desktop or laptop computer wherever you have Shaw Internet access. It is Flash based.

The VOD Player lets you:

· Order and watch your content online

· Resume orders on your TV

· Watch up to two pieces of content on 2 separate computers at a time

· View Movie Central content available if you’re a MC subscriber (Free)

Customers must have:

· Shaw Internet

· Shaw Digital TV, with at least one Digital box

--------------------

Pick your Movie Out:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4329/part1a.jpg

Choose TV or Online:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5839/part2vi.jpg

Watch Online:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8194/part3f.jpg

Different options for quality / size.

Currently no HD support for Online viewing.

Subcribe to MC and get all the On Demand MC content FREE.

Hope this helps!

No additional Software, as it is flash just the same as You Tube. If you do not have latest version it will just prompt you.

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The VOD Player streams movies online through a desktop or laptop computer wherever you have Shaw Internet access.
There's the rub. This would be more useful if I could use it away from home -- out at the lake, during my lunch break at work, on the road etc.

Currently no HD support for Online viewing.
Strike 2.

While it's great Shaw is exploring options like this, watching an SD movie on my new 1920x1080 laptop, which is 10 feet from my 52" Sony LED TV isn't really appealing.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Quote:
The VOD Player streams movies online through a desktop or laptop computer wherever you have Shaw Internet access.
There's the rub. This would be more useful if I could use it away from home -- out at the lake, during my lunch break at work, on the road etc.
Hi g011um, you can view it away from home. It was a poor choice of words copied from a Press Release. Basically you can go online from home and order a VOD to watch on any digital TV in home or watch it right there on your PC. You can watch Shaw VOD online from any PC anywhere just by logging in and maintaining an active home internet with Shaw. Does not necessary have to be from home.

HD side of things is something that will grow. Personally I use a desktop with a 28" monitor at 1900x1200 and I have a lappy at 1920x1080 too. HD would be real nice! Things will pick up in this area. Shaw has always prided itself on the mass amount of movies available to order online. If you subscribe to the Movie Central package customers will find a ton of free stuff there too. Next up is to work on the HD side of things. I mean we aleady have a ton of HD PPV channels and lots of regular HD VOD movies.

All I can say internally there is a sense of refining and utlizing anything broadcast related. Such with change of Canwest, Online VOD, cell phones coming. Having the ability to tie all in effortlessly and with HD ability is a big focus.

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Doesn't seem to work for me, if I have this right, I can log in at work at watch VOD? My work uses Telus internet and I have Shaw Internet/Cable/Phone at home.

I tried watching a show and it says Input client address is not within the Shaw public ip blocks.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Right now I'm having troubles just logging in. My webmail works fine but it wont take it for the VOD site. They need a link at the top to the free stuff. That would be helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts