Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a big Shaw fan boy, but no more.
They have gotten to arrogant for me.

Here's the poop;
After un-bundling services like TV due to poor HD and PVR issues and a smokin' deal on TSTV that unfortunately required me to drop Shaw Digital Phone, I lost the $10 bundle discount on Internet.
So 15M was up to ~ $55
Telus calls to offer 15M DSL now available in my 'hood for $28 for 1st year after 1 free month and then $38 in 2nd year.

I try it for the month and things seem pretty decent,
2 routers, 2 identical machine, run speedtests side by side and trivial differences.
Eg: Shaw15 M service gives me 14.2 and Telus 15 gives me 13.8
sometime DSL is on par or faster.
I did notice that BT didn't seem to throttle back as best I could tell, so that was a real bonus.

Pretty moot given the difference between $28 and $54 I figure.
Only problem (Later resolved) is sending my own domain mail out through Telus doesn't work, whereas before it worked with Shaw.
So this is a showstopper.
I called Shaw to see if they would try and compete, best they would offer is $10 discount for 6 months.
Big hairy deal, so I canceled.

Check my options and verify that CIA or Cybersurf will run on my Motorola cable modem that I own on Shaws cable lines.
Now all the reports say they are the worst ISP in Canada, but last updates are several years old, so I give it a try.
Since I BT a lot and with traffic shaping can't really take advantage of 15M so drop back to 7.5.
I get a solid 7.5 when not BTing, same as Shaw behavior, identical.
But here is the kicker, it's only $30 a month.

They even drop it an extra $5 if I take their Voip phone, can't do that so $30 it is.

They are making money and even would be at $25, so what are they paying Shaw to wholesale there lines out?

I don't need no stinkin' Shaw value added software crap that just slows your machine down, so for users that just need a better priced on ramp, why pay Shaw gouging $45 when same can be had for $30, thats a BIG discount.

I have NO affiliation with Shaw or Cybersurf and when I had to deal with the tech support to answer a few questions and get a 2nd IP provisioned, I found them very responsive and not arrogant and condescending like Shaw has become.

Shaw figures they are the only gane in town and they aren't.

Becuase of the attitude to recoginize a valid competetor and even try and come close as most people won't leave for a few dollars difference, they have lost al 3 services.

Now I get a monthly mailer addressed to current resident with all sorts of deals.

Sorry Shaw, too little too late.

Just though those under some fiscal pressure need to know the true story and what you can due about it.

It's been 3 months now and no issues, very happy so far.

I hear they also do DSL in some areas as well.

I could post my phone number and anybody switching can mention it and I'd get a small kickback on my bill, but I won't because frankly, knowing that some will agree with me and leave Shaw is thanks enough for me.

You've all read the reports that Canadians are paying the highest prices for the slowest service compared to many other countries, even though our adoption rate is quite high, so stop feeding the pigs and send them a message they we deserve much more for much less.

I solved my mail issue with a SMTP relay service from http://www.dyndns.com/services/mailhop/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you an employee somewhere getting "kickbacks"? You seem to like making shaw seem so negative, when infact I have always had superb service and speeds with them!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The posting is quite clear, and NO I don't get anything for telling the truth about them.
The product is essential top shelf, just their throttling and overprice.
Never said it was a bad product.
In fact I'm on a Shaw cable modem that I own and on their network right now.
Just they are NOT my ISP for billing , web and email.

By Cherry picking Phone, mobile and internet and TV, I've come up with a package that works for me and doesn't engrain my to 1 provider and their tactics.

This may not work for everyone, but it does just fine for me and I can live with myself over it knowing I've got exactly what I want at a price I think works well.

I hope Shaw does well.
I told the door to door sales guy just a few nights ago, and that's because I hold a crap load of Shaw stock.

Peeps just need to be informed about options, I think that's almost a mandate of DHC.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
You've all read the reports that Canadians are paying the highest prices for the slowest service compared to many other countries, even though our adoption rate is quite high, so stop feeding the pigs and send them a message they we deserve much more for much less.
I'm going to take issue with this paragraph. The most-cited report is the one by Harvard and it did not say that Canadians are paying the highest prices. It said that Canadians pay middle of the pack pricing for current generation but lag for next-generation. There is, arguably, a fundamental flaw in Harvard's methodology in that they ignored bundled rates. That $10 bundled discount you cite, for example.

As for the rest of your post, there is certainly no harm in shopping around and certainly there is a consumer interest in the growth of non-infrastructure based providers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts