Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Optik TV from Telus out there now, I was wondering if Shaw was going the fibre optic route someday. Maybe i'm ignorant and already have. If so, is there a link for more info on it?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I called Telus last week to ask if their 'Optik' tv is fibre into the house and was told 'No, it's still the copper wires you have now'. I said 'No Thanks'. I am as eager as anyone to get a fibre optic line into my home but I am not holding my breath on that happening anytime before I die of old age(I'm in my 40s now). I can't see Shaw investing in a whole new network when they are constantly looking at ways to get the most out of the one they have now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gigabit Fibre Internet

According to Shaw's website they are already testing FTTP (fibre to the premises) in some areas of Vancouver and Calgary:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Setting up new homes for fibre will probably alot sooner then wiring existing homes for fibre.

It's probably alot cheaper and less intrusive to prewire home, then to feed it and wire it throughout a preexisting home.

I think thats why it'll take a long for shaw/telus to roll out fibre. Very cost prohibitive to add it to existing homes. They may as well built it into new homes though, otherwise they'd face the same problem down the road.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Given there are no real consumer based products available in North America that rely on fibre optics, just getting a fibre line into your home would be a huge step forward. Being able to connect to the WWW through that single line (or better yet a dual line) would be more than enough for most end users, I'm sure. Certainly, it would be best to have a whole home 'wired' for optical but I doubt there would be much difficulty in doing this as it isn't much different than running a coax to an unserviced room now. Sure, it isn't the best but it's not impossible. I understand what you are saying though and that is just a small part of why I am 'not holding my breath'.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So if I'm undertaking a full-gut reno of our house right now, is it worth me running some fibre optic beside my new cable lines? It's kind of costly, isn't it? Maybe I'd be better off just running some conduit instead?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Conduit is probably your best bet as that way you can run anything you need to in the future. The cables being replaced can be used to pull the new lines through.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Agreed with Jetranger. Personally, I can't see an application needed where you would have to have fibre throughout your house. You can do Gigabit ethernet over cat-5a (or cat-6) cable, which seems to me to be plenty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
... Personally, I can't see an application needed where you would have to have fibre throughout your house. ...Gigabit ethernet ... seems to me to be plenty.
I have to agree that conduit would be the best route. But I had to smile at the gigabit ethernet seems plenty comment. I remember when 4 mb of ram was all you would ever need and when the Wordperfect program would fit on a 360 kb floppy disk. Point being, put in conduit because we don't know what will be adequate in even the near future.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
... But I had to smile at the gigabit ethernet seems plenty comment. I remember when 4 mb of ram was all you would ever need and when the Wordperfect program would fit on a 360 kb floppy disk. Point being, put in conduit because we don't know what will be adequate in even the near future.
Truer words have never been said.:D

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
And it might be that a wireless solution comes along by then that precludes the need for any kind of hardwired connections. These are the problems we all think about and all we can do is 'hope for the best' and plan for changes. That's why the conduit makes the most sense right now. It sure is fun thinking about all the possibilities though, isn't it?:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I think conduit is probably the way to go as well.

I suspect I probably will run cat6 cabling as well. We've been using wireless for the last little bit, but I am still wary of all those beams flying around the kids. It's one thing if I get sterilized by the router (saves me the pain of a vasectomy!), but I'd like to give the kids a fighting chance at reproduction. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
While Telus does have FTTH (in some areas) it is still just in to the basement where it is run in to GPON transceiver. In reality this is not really different than what Shaw already does by bringing fibre to a node and then distrbuting off of that via coax.

While the idea of having essentially a node in your basement would rock, the cost of this is rather unnecessary when you already have a perfectly capable network in the ground (or on the pole).

Lets say Shaw turned all digital channels into an IPTV system and just replaced all digital channels with DOCSIS carriers - the only channels that need to be streamed to a node are only the ones being watched and the rest of the bandwidth is free for internet traffic.

I know that people want fibre due to the upstream capability, etc but like it or not the problem with fibre is it is is not really necessary and it is also extremely breakable. A damaged cable line is easy to fix with some new connectors, a damaged fibre line requires a fusion splicer - not good.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
GPON ONTs are not all that expensive. While your point about fibre being harder to fix is valid, it also has advantages in that there are no actives in the field like amps and line extenders that you have with coax - so there are fewer points of failure.

To your point about doing IPTV over DOCSIS - you need to have a pretty small node size to do this, by my estimation. If you want to deliver 4 HD streams to a house and fast Internet, that adds up to a lot of bandwidth pretty fast. Too many houses on a node and it just can't be done.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Me too, that's what I was referring to.

Cheers!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was actually watching a video today on corning fibre and they have some new fibre they were showing off meant for putting in the homes/apartments... You can bend it around a screw driver multiple times, you can staple it to the wall, you can put nearly a 180 degree bend in it without breaking or having signal loss. I am sure it can't be that cheap but that would make it more of a possibility to do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts