Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who don't like Apple or Google, there is a way to run the new Go Gateway app on Windows. I have it running on my Surface Pro 2 and it works fine.

You do need an Android emulator. The app works fine in Bluestacks (which I do not recommend because it really is just bloatware), YouWave, and Windroy.

I installed the trial version of YouWave and installed the Go Gateway app and it works fine. However, YouWave does a terrible job supporting touch and it isn't free so if you're running Windows 8.1 on a touch device, I don't recommend it.

I then tried Windroy and had all sorts of problems. Windroy is free, fast, and fully touch friendly. The problem is that it doesn't include GApps. I followed the various posts on how to install GApps to get the Play Store and could download the Shaw app, but it would constantly crash. I did a fresh install of Windroy, and sideloaded the Shaw app using the apk file without installing GApps. It works really well.

Until Shaw gets web app or starts supporting other platforms, at least I have a workable solution.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thought I would update this as I have found a better emulator than Windroy for this purpose.

Andy (www.andyroid.net) runs the Shaw Go Gateway app with no errors. It also runs GApps (comes with the Play Store) without issue as well so no need to hunt for the .apk. Like Windroy, it is fast, free, and touch friendly. It is also much more stable.

The last advantage for Andy is that it lets you put a direct shortcut to an Android app on your Start screen in Windows 8.1. In other words, I have a Go Gateway tile on my Surface Pro 2 desktop and it starts Andy and then then the Go Gateway app.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome! I just got this running on Windows 10 as well - no issues. Finally I can set recordings when out of the house without having to bring the wife's iPad!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts