Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed these two interesting job postings while browsing Shaw's site today:

Does this indicate Shaw is finally moving toward IPTV?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Which jobs? No links

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Image approved. Should be visible now. For some reason, Vertical Scope requires all images to be moderated and approved. We mods try to get to them as fast as we can.

If you can't see the image, you may need to change some settings in your browser.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Interesting. The image doesn't show up in Chrome or Firefox on a PC, but I can see it on Tapatalk on iOS.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Shaw Direct (part of Shaw Communications) has been doing IPTV for months now. They use an internet connection to stream PPV and VOD to the 600 series receivers. It's possible that Shaw Cable is rolling out a separate offering. I've heard rumours of Netflix-like offerings from other Canadian BDUs.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a quote from the latest financial statement that would seem to indicate this is something they are seriously pursuing:

... Key investments to be accelerated include the completion of our Calgary data centre, further digitization of our network and additional bandwidth upgrades, development of IP delivery of video, expansion of our WiFi network, and additional innovative product offerings related to Shaw Go and other applications to provide an enhanced customer experience.
The above is from the following press release:

http://www.shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Media/Press_Releases/2ndQtr2013.pdf

I realize there are a lot of other topics mentioned there so don't forget this particular thread is just about possible IPTV from Shaw. Feel free to start other threads or copy this link to any other thread you might want to discuss the other initiatives in.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That does seem to be a 'business' segment but you would think the technology could cross over.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Their cable architecture is HFC-based; the Motorola/Pace cable boxes in use are all HFC-based and incapable of supporting IPTV. For Shaw to launch IPTV services would be a major undertaking requiring new infrastructure and equipment, and would be quite expensive.

The reference to "IP based delivery of video" probably refers to either (a) IP-based VOD offerings, or (b) PC-based or mobile-based delivery of video content, such as through the "Shaw Go" apps or vod.shaw.ca .

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently, the Gateway system they have now is capable of IPTV and the changes they are making across the network now will enable better distribution of such a service so I would think they have at least thought that far ahead. I know they recently created a special team to work on IPTV but haven't heard more than that, yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts