Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just got the gateway and am trying to set series recordings for Monday,Sunday and Thursday night football. The guide though shows only NFL. So it wants to record anything that says nfl.
Whats up with that?
My 3416,6416 could differentiate between nfl shows why cant the gateway?

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Did you try "NFL Football" as your search and New Episodes Only and stop time +30 Minutes?

I record every CFL game without issue (except if the first game goes long and they put the start of the second game on TSN2).

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you do NFL it will record everything.
I cant believe that this is still an issue so long after the release of this product.
Shaw has told me it is an ongoing issue for not only NFL but tennis hockey or what ever due to the configuration of the gateway guide.

I thought that this forum would have had a work around for it by now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you try "NFL Football" as your search and New Episodes Only and stop time +30 Minutes?
This will result in it recording every new nfl game for the week about 12 games instead of just the two or three games I actually want. Apparently this is the same for hockey baseball etc due to teh way the guide is set up.

I wonder what other gremlins are lurking within the gateway menu and operating system?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone else have this issue.

Watching a show that say, started at 7:30. Half way through the show at 7:43 I pause it. I come back to watch it at 7:55. 8pm rolls around and the next show is going to start, but that shouldn't matter right? Technically I should have the last half hour recorded as a buffer, so you can rewind etc. Correct?

Nope, after this update it will just go to the next show. Won't allow you to rewind or anything. I'm really getting quite tired of the gateway system. I feel so bad for talking my parents into getting it. Shaw has to go out almost once a month to fix an issue. Constant price increased, broken promises that were advertised to come already enabled on the system. Junk. Absolute Junk.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We have had this basically all along. the wife gets upset and i cant fix it. Overall things are good, better than 2 yrs ago. We have lost many a show from that bug.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
It is a known issue and doesn't always occur every hour. The best way to deal with it is to get in the habit of hitting 'record' if you know you are going to run to the end of the hour before finishing watching a 'live' program. Yes, it's a pain but it's better than losing the program you were watching before you were done, as you have pointed out.

From what I understand, it has something to do with a reset signal that gets sent at the top of the hour but this doesn't always happen every hour so that's why only some 'paused' live programs get lost and others don't. I do my best to remind myself to hit record if a live program I am watching is nearing the top of the hour and something like the phone ringing makes me need to pause the TV. Whatever did we do before PVRs?

I don't run into this all that much as I seldom watch 'live' TV anymore. Pretty much all of it is recorded so I can skip the commercials. This has led to me wondering what I can get the better half for Xmas though as I am not exposed to all the marketing. But I digress....

It is sad we still need 'work-arounds' for things like this issue with the Gateway, especially after all this time.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Was there a new update last night? My portal asked if it was OK to do an update, and I clicked on yes. Nothing seems to have changed, so maybe the update is to fix some of these issues.

I have noticed the loss of buffer when a recording is starting on another tuner, and when the channel you are on is simsubbed by a Canadian channel. I hope they can fix this--it is very annoying!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
No update that I am aware of. Being today is Thursday, it was probably just the usual reboot that happens. I haven't seen that message for quite some time now but I doubt anything go sent down. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anybody notice the latest Gateway update on the AX013?
I can't remember how to access installer menu, so not sure of version.

Now boots with ELEVATE Logo instead of Arris.

On Demand menu now all icons that require extra click for info.
Occasionally when TV first turned on, screen will go completely black after a few seconds before program continuing.
Portals boot with Arris, then ELEVATE logo.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Whole new kettle of fish

The update does a lot more than change the way it looks. More info as I get details. So far the biggest thing I have noticed is that it has damaged my Extender drives. I just swapped out one of them in the RAID array and now that it has rebuilt itself, I'll swap the other one and start over.

Maybe it's a coincidence but I've come to find these things are seldom that.

I'm actually thinking this Update should have it's own new thead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Finally found procedure in one of the forums.

Not sure if this already existed, but portal status is also included in Installer Menu.

You now get Series and Episode for most programs.

Guide populates slightly faster than previous version, which slowed it down inexplicably.
I think it defaulted the sound output to Stereo instead of Dolby/Dolby D+.

Any idea why big blue power button flashes rapidly when pressed?
It does appear to turn off if you select red.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Got an update on Feb 27 to 7.14.162
Change in the menus display. Simpler icons, clearer text.
Is most of the cable programming still 1080i or is some now 1080p??
Is there discussion somewhere on this update?

61 - 80 of 99 Posts