Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I awoke this morning and immediately noticed a font change on the Gateway guide when I turned on my TV.

7.1 has arrived, for me at least. I don't know if this is an early preview or if it has been sent out to the masses. The last I heard was that it was being released either late this month or early next month. In any case, the new numbers should be:

7.1 .0 .31 G 5 B R - P .369535 for the Gateway and;
7.1 .0 .31 X 5 R - P .369535 for the Portals.

=====

OTHER USEFUL THREADS

Fixes & issues
If you're having a problem with the Shaw Gateway, please see if it has already been reported before posting. (This is a running list. Not a discussion thread.)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1324303

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

Installation and setup
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145834

Programming universal Harmony remote for use with Gateway
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1331570

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slo-mo reverse has been added but you still can't go back a frame at a time. Talk about disappointing. The transport controls seem more responsive though and that much is nice even if they can't get it all right at the same time.

I heard there are well over 100 'improvements' with this update so now to work at finding them. Here's to hoping I find more improvements than problems. I love how I already found one shortfall. Oh well, what would the engineers at ARRIS have to do if they got it completely right?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No more Search tool, really?

If this is true, it's a HUGE fail. I can't find the 'search' tool anymore. The magnifying glass icon is gone from the menu list. This is catastrophic!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another 'negative'

Just trying to navigate through the menu selections has been made much harder too as you have to keep pressing the left or right arrows or whatever icon you are on will open up that sub-menu without pressing 'OK'. This may be an 'improvement' to some but it's just a PITA to me.

I'm sorry to sound so negative but these are just my honest first impressions as I experience this latest code update. If I have an advance copy, I would strongly suggest it get reworked before being released to the masses. This is really bad.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Now I'm hoping mine stays 7.0.4.......

I was excited for 7.1, not any more if these things are true.

P.S.

Thanks for being the guinea pig Jetranger.......though unintended I am sure.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to info I am getting on Shaw's community site, this is part of a 'trial' release. It sure would have been nice to at least get a 'heads up' from Shaw before they sent the new code.

I have rebooted a Portal and so far no change and I don't see the search tool on two different Portals that I have checked so far. Also, a late night recording was interrupted by this update, it seems. All around, not an impressive event, what-so-ever.

I'm happy to be a 'guinea pig', just send me a memo next time. I ask for favours to be included in these things but then they just go and spring them on you without warning. WTF? (that's: 'why the face' for you non Modern Family watchers)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I am awaiting either a 'fix' or a 'rollback', I am discovering still more things that are not 'fixed' yet. The 'blank screen' when trying to play a recording is still there, at least in this version I have right now. I would seriously have thought that one would be fixed by now.

Also, deleting folders still takes several seconds. That one might be a little longer before it's fixed as it was just brought to ARRIS' attention a short while ago.

EDIT: I tried a complete 'power off' reboot of everything, all at the same time, and there was no change. It seems something is missing from the code I received. I'm sure it will be corrected in short order, one way or another.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I have been informed that I will be 'rolled back' to 7.0.4. There has been video proof that 'Search' is indeed in 7.1 so this particular shortcoming has been put to rest. There's a good chance some or all of the others are also due to the same issue that caused the 'Search' to not show in the code version I received. Now we just have to wait for the public release.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, I mentioned that they could probably just delete the whole thread since it was really a 'non-issue' and I guess they agreed as it disappeared shortly after. There was a comment from a mod saying the thread would be closed but then it was removed altogether. I'm OK with that since I was the only one affected.

Now, as for this thread, I guess it is premature since 7.1 hasn't been fully released yet. The version numbers might change but I guess we will see when it does officially come out. I have been rolled back to 7.0.4 today and have most equipment running that now.

Apparently this caused some big ripples at Shaw yesterday. Sorry for that but I call it like I see it unless I am asked to do otherwise. I look forward to the full public release of 7.1.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sadly, I believe it won't actually bring any 'features' as such but rather will provide a base for the long awaited 'features' we have been promised from the start. There are a crap load of 'fixes' in the code, although there are still issues to be addressed. This process is taking longer due to the old network configuration so until 'converged' is completed, Shaw can't even properly 'test' the new code as it becomes available.

All we can do is continue to be 'patient' and wait out the excessively long delays for features that were advertised 2 years ago now.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The next modem update should start appearing this coming Monday and then 7.1 should be rolled out the following week. Let's all hope it has the fixes we want and need but I'm told there are still a few things that need addressing so don't be surprised when some of the more common complaints haven't been corrected.

·
Registered
736 Posts
In short, no. We are still in "approach" pattern with regard to Shaw & Gateway. How long it's going to last, no one can say. Not even Shaw, because, as strange as it sounds, they don't know. It's been years, and I don't expect anything for few more. Yes, few more years. Just like many PVR boxes (hardware) before Gateway, this one is going to be obsolete before it fulfills its promises.
In this never ending battle between corporation and customers, we are on losing end. All we can do is pay the "ransom". Few are willing to walk the talk. For now, at least.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I think the lesson here is don't buy hardware/software solutions based on future promises. Buy it based on the capabilities that are available today.

Hoping for better software on a Shaw Gateway is like hoping for better software on a Android handset (non-Nexus). Sometimes you'll get it, but most of the time you won't.

Sometimes the software updates will even have regressions in them, and because you don't have control over the software/hardware configuration there is nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I think the lesson here is don't buy hardware/software solutions based on future promises. Buy it based on the capabilities that are available today.
And that is the key. Companies lure you into buying based on future promises. Few, if any, deliver on that. It is not in their best interest. Their best interest is for consumers to keep buying new stuff, not to improve what they already got money for. Shaw is no different. Why would they be?

1 - 20 of 261 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.