Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received an update on my 630 over night to version 06.22.....not sure what's different or improved on it yet as I'm still brewing my morning coffee...just thought I'd give everyone a heads up...

edit....my 2nd 630 unit is still at 4.06 and cannot be forced to 06.22

·
Registered
468 Posts
Nope- and my target version is 0.0

Let us know what has changed when you notice it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I tried a receiver refresh through the Shaw site. That didn't work. Is their any way to force an update? Does anyone know if I call SD and request it?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no idea here....all I know is that I fell asleep on the couch with the tv and receiver left on, when I woke up about 230am, the greyish coloured screen with all the numbers and such was there....checked it when it finished, and sure enough, 06.22....I had thought that a receiver had to be turned off in order to receive an automatic update...obviously not....

·
Registered
468 Posts
There is no way to force an update until your receiver is targeted. And the CSRs don't have a way to target specific receivers. You just have to wait until your receiver gets targeted. SD targets receivers in manageable bunches, to reduce the number CSR calls from irate customers in case the update goes awry.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The online manual indicates it is for receivers with 06.xx. The only changes I have been able to see looking through the manual is a change to the "Record New Episodes", Record all Episodes" and "Record this episode". They are now called "Smart Record New Episodes", "Smart Record all Episodes" and "Record this airing".

Other than that I really didn't notice much else other than something called "Auto Tune" and "Auto reminders" for the 600 & 605. I think this is something new since I've heard people complain about not being able to set timers.

I really hope this update fixes the pixallation problem. That is the one thing that most of us have found to be the most annoying with this 630.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok....as GaryE said above, the wording has changed in the recording options........another thing I noticed is that when doing a search, it does seem a bit quicker than before....So far, I have noticed no pixelation on both SD and HD channels....I dont own an esata hard drive, so I cant check that out....doubtful anyways...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Forcing the download...

Although you can't force a download unless you have been "Targeted" (Options-4-7 Line "I"), you can download it right away if you have been "Targeted".

Options-4-9-7-7-2. If the "Start Download" is in Yellow then click on that button to begin the download. DO NOT change channels or play with the remote buttons, just let it go. Not sure how long the download will take but when 04.06 was made available it took about 50 minutes to complete so I would assume this update will take up the same amount of time.

If the "Start Download" button is still greyed out then you are not "Targeted" yet.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If there is an auto tune feature like that found on the 5xx series and older then that is the one feature that was keeping me from pulling the trigger on upgrading. The authorization message and pixelation issue would be the other reason I haven't upgraded. Fix those I will probably look at what deals I get to upgrade. Looking forward to the experience of early and early-ish adopters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I activated my 630 a few weeks ago and they told me that a new update will be coming up in the next few weeks . The guy said that it's about the pvr , we can see now if we have watch a recording or not . Kind of a check mark if we did ... something like that.

I guess that's the update he told me about

·
Registered
235 Posts
Holy crap

an update is happening without us all knowing about it for months and then seeing it delayed for months?

I mean I know we all know an update is needed and would be coming, but I hadn't read anything about 6.22 coming on a certain date like we usually do.

Wow.

What happened to our SD insiders, the ones who tell us an update is imminent and then telling us what all is new and exciting?

I feel cheated not waiting in vain for months for a promised update, checking here everyday just waiting for that first person to post that they got "THE UPDATE".

Can't wait to hear what it's like! (and to get targeted!)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Doesn't appear to part of the update but I see that SD has changed A channels to CTV2xx in the guide with the CTV two logo. Interesting that CTV2 - CKVR is labelled CTV2TO as in Toronto and not CTV2BA for Barrie.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The update is probably just channel logos....so not really a firmware upgrade if that is the case.

What happened to SD 630 Support? According to his/her profile - Last Activity: 2011-07-05 11:45 AM - Almost 2 months ago..........

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The update is probably just channel logos....so not really a firmware upgrade if that is the case.

What happened to SD 630 Support? According to his/her profile - Last Activity: 2011-07-05 11:45 AM - Almost 2 months ago..........

Cheers
hard to say, maybe was told that posting in forums and speaking 'for' the company is no longer permitted....or maybe never was?....

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The channel logos don't require a software/firmware update on the 630. They can be done whenever the guide data is downloaded nightly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The channel logos don't require a software/firmware update on the 630. They can be done whenever the guide data is downloaded nightly.
...looks like what you said....changed the 'wording' on the recording options to 'smart'....might have to wait for a heavier rain to see if the auth error still comes up...

·
Registered
115 Posts
06.22 updates all 6xx receivers

SD said that the 06.22 update is for all 6xx receivers, but did not say what it did! Still waiting for my 605 to update.

1 - 20 of 299 Posts