Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Shaw doesn't actually own any of the Satellites, they lease space. It's tough to say whether or not some of the unused space on Anik F1R or F2 will be leased to other customers. As compression improves, there is likely going to be little need for all the transponder space. I truly believe in the next few years, you are going to see many stations cease operations including local and specialty channels. TV consumption is rapidly changing and even though rural areas may not have the same access to new media as urban areas, the rural customers alone will not be able to support the 100s of local and specialty channels. I believe Corus has already mentioned they plan on clawing back on the amount of specialty channels they run in the next few years.

·
Registered
122 Posts
With the current conversion to Mpeg 4 (freeing up bandwidth) this year, and now that NFL Sunday Ticket is not available to Cable, Satellite providers does this offer Shaw Direct more bandwidth sooner than they might have expected? Or in the past seasons would NFL Sunday Ticket share bandwidth Shaw Direct used for NHL Centre ice, during the fall, winter?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Seasonal sports networks usually share the same channels. They are remapped as needed to carry current offerings and provide subscriber access. As LONSat stated, that can also involve reallocating or suspending other PPV programming when extra channels are required for sporting events.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Projected Final transition channel map

Is the final projected channel map for the G1 bird available somewhere? I have the ones for F1 and F2 but not G1.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
For the most part G1 is not going to be impacted by the MPEG4 conversion. No channels are (planned to be) moving from F1R or F2 to G1. When they drop the western StdDef version of some speciality channels the exisitng HD version will only be found on G1, Comedy, Family and a couple other channels are impacted like this (in 2019). The current lineup on G1 is what it is and it would only be channel additions that potentially get put there. I believe G1 is pretty full as it is.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I hope they change their mind about CBC News channel - that will be a drag if it's available in Canada only. More than ever, people to the south need to learn about Canada. According to Jimmy Kimmel the other night, some people think we are North Korea (geography fail)

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
CBC NN should be unencrypted on satellite, make that many satellites worldwide. Other countries do so with their national news stations. It should also be free to any BDU that wants to carry it, worldwide. The CBC is government funded and should use their government funding to Canada's political advantage, not to help line the pockets of civil servants.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
more importantly, compared to CNN, Fox, MSNBC and Putin's RT News (lol), it's a higher quality source of vetted info, more inline with BBC World. It's always bugged me that CNN International is available all over Europe, but no CBC. At the very least, a footprint that brings CBC to all Americans is what they need.....especially in glorious mpeg4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shaw is cutting our signal lately and asking to call them. The also leave a message on my phone. If I refresh the receiver, I get the signal back.
I guess it is for a receiver update MPEG2 to MPEG4

I only have 1 530 receiver. The other are more recent.

What will happen if I upgrade.

I still have an old LNB, will all my receivers still work.

if I had a receiver down south, would it still work with the receiver upgrade if I kept the old LNB here?

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 505 hooked up to a vcr for recording shows. Just got an email "Urgent: Contact us to avoid a service disruption". Mentions an offer to upgrade but the offer will likely be what the 600 sold for a few years back, $50.

Our 505 may have to get some issues to be replaced under the multi-receiver warranty. Especially since they don't want the 505 back. Shipping was $14 for the replacement last time i read somewhere.

When will the 505 stop getting any channels?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The 505 (any 5xx) will stop getting remaining HD channels in June of this year when those channels convert to MPEG4. Some SD channels (smaller market locals) are also scheduled to convert to MPEG4 in June of this year and will also disappear. For the most part the 5xx series will continue to get SD channels into 2019 when the remaining SD channels convert to HD-MPEG4.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts