Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shaw Broadcast has put out a bulletin that Anik F2 will reach end of life by the fall of 2025. There is no plan to keep signals operating at 111 so all video signals will be limited to Anik G1 only. To accommodate this change, Shaw Broadcast will be transitioning all signals to HEVC by the fall of 2025. Some signals will make the transition in 2023 for testing with the remaining transitioning in the Spring/Summer of 2025.

This means that all Shaw Direct customers will need new hardware that supports HEVC compression. Only the 800 series receives are capable of decoding HEVC signals. Those with 600 series receivers will need to change out their equipment. It's very likely that Shaw Broadcast will be under Rogers Communications by then along with Shaw Direct. Linear channels will likely continue to decline during this time as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Shaw Broadcast has put out a bulletin that Anik F2 will reach end of life by the fall of 2025. There is no plan to keep signals operating at 111 so all video signals will be limited to Anik G1 only. To accommodate this change, Shaw Broadcast will be transitioning all signals to HEVC by the fall of 2025. Some signals will make the transition in 2023 for testing with the remaining transitioning in the Spring/Summer of 2025.

This means that all Shaw Direct customers will need new hardware that supports HEVC compression. Only the 800 series receives are capable of decoding HEVC signals. Those with 600 series receivers will need to change out their equipment. It's very likely that Shaw Broadcast will be under Rogers Communications by then along with Shaw Direct. Linear channels will likely continue to decline during this time as well.
Thank you for the news we didn't want to hear. :mad: I remember asking a long time ago what was the capacity left on G1 and I seem to recall reading it was pretty well maxed out. Turns out there's plenty of space left.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Shaw created some spare bandwidth when they transitioned to MPEG-4 (AKA H.264) a few years ago. The transition to HEVC (AKA H.265) will improve compression by about 25% to 50%.

I've got to wonder why Shaw hasn't shut Shaw Satellite down or sold it to Bell. I doubt they are making any money and satellite TV services are losing more customers than other types. In the US, DirecTV and Dish might be merging to create a single and only US satellite TV service. That doesn't bode well for Canada keeping two services.

·
Super Moderator
20,931 Posts
Here's a link to the Shaw Broadcast bulletin. One additional note: "This timeline may change, given recent technical anomalies (publicly disclosed by Telesat) which could shorten the serviceable life of Anik F2 and require a more expeditious transition."

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
The MPEG-4 transition was a mixed bag for receiver upgrades. The best deals went to people who waited, called when they actually lost channels and threatened to cancel if they had to pay for new receivers. I doubt Shaw will offer any upgrade deals at this time. By 2025, the satellite TV marketplace could be completely different. Rogers may then own Shaw Direct (or is that Rogers Satellite?) and have completely different policies.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Down the road I would rather see Shaw Direct drop the fringe channels that don’t get a lot of viewers and at least offer 1080p or even 4K for the more watched channels.
You see a lot less Bell/Telus dishes here in Alberta these days.
In the major centres Shaw and Telus (still behind Shaw where its available) offer 1gig + download speeds which makes streaming on multiple TV’s a breeze.
I still find watching Hockey live on Shaw Direct better then any streaming.The CBC Hockey games watching them with an antenna is just a bit better Still.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Down the road I would rather see Shaw Direct drop the fringe channels that don’t get a lot of viewers and at least offer 1080p or even 4K for the more watched channels
Unless Telesat replaces the old Ku Satellites at 107 and 111, 4K will never be a reality via Satellite. Shaw Direct is only going to have 16 transponders. My guess is once G1 reaches end of life, that will be the end of Shaw (Rogers) Direct. With more of rural Canadians getting access to Starlink over the next several years, there will be even less people that will want Satellite. My guess is Bell's satellite service days are numbered too. The Nimiq satellites will be approaching end of life soon too and as far as I'm aware, there has been no orders to replace them.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This timeline may change, given recent technical anomalies (publicly disclosed by Telesat) which could shorten the serviceable life of Anik F2 and require a more expeditious transition
My guess is if they have to speed up the timeline a bit, they will likely power down transponders on F2 to extend the life (depending on what the issues are).

·
Registered
174 Posts
The original issue back in 2016 was an software error update they did and the Bird went into Safe mode.
Now I would assume it’s 15 Service life ended in 2019 and now is on borrowed time.
I agree there better alternatives such as the lower orbit new generation of Birds coming on line.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got to wonder why Shaw hasn't shut Shaw Satellite down or sold it to Bell
This might change under future Rogers Management but in my opinion, Shaw has been much more committed to keeping its SRDU business relevant. Bell still carries SD signals and there are many channels (especially locals) that aren't even offered in HD. I haven't kept up on Bell receivers but I'm not even sure if any of their current receivers even have the capability of HEVC. Bell is very likely going to have bandwidth constraints in the near future even if they don't change their product. Nimiq 4 which is at 82 was launched in 2008. So that satellite is already approaching EOL, it will be on borrowed time as of next year. Nimiq 6 at 91 was launched in 2012 so there is still about 5/6 years of anticipated life cycle left. Much of the MPEG-2 equipment they have in place is also reaching or passed EOL. If they dropped all their SD equivalents and just kept the MPEG-4 HD channels, they could probably squeeze everything on one satellite. I'm assuming since there hasn't been any order to replace at least Nimiq 4, Bell doesn't plan on operating at 82 for much longer.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Once the transition is complete we shouldn't need a Multi-satellite dish, correct? Will an ordinary shaped Ku band satellite dish work if it has the correct LNB? Will it be easier to set up on the run (RV travel, etc) when we are only dealing with one satellite?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't know what it is about Shaw dishes that make them so hard to setup. When I had Expressvu and I was travelling, I could look at the position of the sun, my watch and figure out how far off I was from the previous lat / long and over 50% of the time I'd get a signal when I first set the dish on the tripod. With Shaw Direct, it's a two person job and I never get it on the first try. Having said that, it's only about 5 minutes to get maximum signal.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Latest trip in San Diego area I set up rv got the dish out, looked at compass checked elevation, leveled tripod, aimed and had 77 signal. Fine tuned in a minute. Total time about10 minutes, aiming 2.
Included slight elevation change, new location. 630 pops in quick. Before 630 it was a pain.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Once the transition is complete we shouldn't need a Multi-satellite dish, correct? Will an ordinary shaped Ku band satellite dish work if it has the correct LNB? Will it be easier to set up on the run (RV travel, etc) when we are only dealing with one satellite?
Sorry to be late to this thread. Not only could you use a different Dish & LNB, but wouldn't this be the right time to migrate to single (or 2) cable feed into a multiswitch?

·
Registered
818 Posts
A combination of Voltage and a Tone is required to switch Satellites and Transponders

The present combinations are:

13V. That's the G1 Vertical Transponders

13V/22KHz. That's the F2 Vertical Transponders

18V That's the G1 Horizontal Transponders

18V/22KHz. That's the F2 Horizontal Transponders

If they drop F2 as planned, and put everything onto G1, then they only need:

13V. That's the G1 Vertical Transponders
18V That's the G1 Horizontal Transponders

That drops the Tone to switch to F2, and should mean you only need 2 Cable Feeds from the present Xku LNB to get all the channels into a Multiswitch for distribution around the house. Of course they could do something completely different that I don't know about (like multiplexing the signals with a new LNB and a Demuxer before the receiver) and going to a single feed. I think everyone would love that.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

This pretty much devalues DSR6xx series devices to the dust bin, as of immediately, no? Great time to make low-ball offers at Kajiji & eBay, yes?

1 - 20 of 260 Posts