Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

381 - 400 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I Would If I Could

I don't understand why a sim-sub would cause hiccups live and worse with recordings. Isn't a sim-sub channel simply mapped to the US channel at certain time.
What in the datastream would be different?:surprise

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Shaw Direct used to do simsubs very tightly to geographic areas where there was a transmitter. Hence in London ON we rarely saw a simsub. When Global was purchased by Shaw, Global was granted simsubs even if they did not have a local station/repeater. For some reason City also seems to have been granted increased simsubs even though nothing has really changed with regards to the Woodstock (ON) repeater. CTV does not seem to get simsubbed in London be it SD or HD. Not sure if Kitchener's CTV signal is considered local for London for simsub purposes.

I still think that when you start your program there is a moment when the ABC feed is being recorded before the simsub kicks in hence the no skipping. Or if the City signal is on a weak transponder perhaps it drops to the point that the Chew on ABC kicks in. Or there is something in the encoding of the City signal that is interfering with its time record and therefore interfering with the skip feature. I will see what happens next week on DWTS to see if I see the behaviour again.

Don't forget you could momentarily or for a short period of time you could defeat a simsub by unplugging the receiver and restarting it. Until enough of the guide data was loaded you got the original feed. This may have been true moreso for the pre 6xx series receivers.

For Shaw Direct
Global seems to get universal simsubs.
City gets universal or near universal simsubs
and CTV seems to get simsubs to the letter of the rules regarding OTA signal coverage.

Sounds like you don't subscribe to the Canadian timeshifting channels so you can't record City West directly. But being in Canada and with our bizarre simsub rules you get to see City West when it gets simsubbed. Aren't you lucky you get to see a channel occasionally for which you don't subscribe. Yeah simsubs are sometimes fun! :(

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
I don't understand why a sim-sub would cause hiccups live and worse with recordings. Isn't a sim-sub channel simply mapped to the US channel at certain time.
When a channel is simsubbed there is often a minor drop in signal or similar issue that can cause the recording to "drop" or other hiccups as discussed in this thread. This doesn't happen when you watch/record the Canadian channel because there is no "switch" happening on that channel.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There has been no DVR or Live problems as I described in the past. This strange behavior only started during the past week.
I hope this is not a Shaw Direct marketing ploy for subscription to HD channels to which I do not currently subscribe.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I've given up long ago at how badly Shaw implements subs. If I can plan correctly, I only record off the CDN channel airing the simulcast show. The thing that drove me nuts was that FF-RW gets buggered up if a sub isn't put in at exactly the correct moment, which is almost never.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find this odd with the simsubs and the ones people are saying about Global simsubbing on everything. I've been with Shaw Direct for 6 months now and have never seen a simsub on any program, from Global, City or CTV. Just clear US feeds.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think this is related to your location. If in the boonies like me, you do not see simsubs. If there is cdn broadcast content near you you see simsubs. I THINK.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As gzink says, this may be the case as I have not experienced the kind of problem with the skip forward function mentioned here and I am about 200 km from both Calgary and Edmonton.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Fixed

I recorded the sim-sub ABC HD West yesterday (Thursday, Oct 5) which went to CITY HD Vancouver. Not a glitch or wacky skip function with CITY. :smile

·
Registered
334 Posts
I changed my sim subs to their CDN equivalents. Hopefully there will be no interruptions - there were about 5 breaks in the Seth Myers recording we watched last night on US channel.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Another big Simsub mistake tonight involving Global Maritimes and NTV. I tuned in to watch the Royal St. John's Regatta Championship Races on NTV (scheduled for 6 pm to 7:30 pm Atlantic) but Shaw Direct simsubbed Global progamming over it.
Hopefully the repeat at 12:30 Atlantic on NTV will not be simsubbed over( by Global Maritimes) via Shaw Direct; but if no one is paying attention at Shaw Direct it probably will be.
The Late Show With Stephen Colbert is scheduled for 2 am on NTV and not 12:35, as it will be on Global. I'll report in the morning.
These are the types of mistakes that make simsubbing so hated by Canadians.

·
Registered
866 Posts
As I stated in the last post, I am reporting on the simsub error that occurred yesterday. Shaw Direct allowed the broadcast of last night's repeat of the Royal St. John's Regatta Championship Races on NTV. There was no late night simsub of Global Halifax. It was done correctly this time.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I thought simsubs were only to replace a Canadian signal over an American signal. I don't recall ever seeing a Canadian signal replace another Canadian signal. Is something unique to the Maritimes I don't recall ever seeing an out of market Canadian signal replaced with a local Canadian one.

·
Registered
866 Posts
@LONSat, yes that should be the rule, but in Nova Scotia, and perhaps other provinces, Shaw simsubs all Global Halifax programming over NTV St. John's programming. I guess it must be legal because they have been doing it for quite a while, but often make mistakes with it ,because NTV tends to move Global programming all over their schedule. It can be very annoying! Like the commercial says, "I want my NTV!"

381 - 400 of 402 Posts