Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
This week the Global simsubs of shows has been nothing short of terrible. The audio is messed up to the point of dialogue been inaudible.

I will be filing a complaint with SD and the CRTC.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm happy to report no simsubs here for the Superbowl. I watched it on 286 CBS Detroit with my 630 and quad LNB. Too bad the commercials sucked!

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
SD only simsubs with nearby OTA stations within grade A and B contours. For example, if there is a local CTV or Global station, the US station carrying the same program will be simsubbed. That is the CRTC requirement when a station requests a simsub.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I thought all Shaw's receivers performed the SimSubb via postal code? It used to be way better then Bells system of implementation. What changed? Shaw was performing it as per CRTC standards.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Shaw changed their method of sim-subbing a couple of years ago. Now they sim-sub only CITY and Global programs in the Maritimes. We get our closest Global show substituted over the US or Newfoundland Net (NTV), but since we do not have a CITY channel in the Maritimes they substitute the Montreal CITY. I have not seen a CTV show sim-subbed here in this part of Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Once Shaw owned Global they simsubbed Global no matter how close you were to a transmitter. For some reason they also do this for City. For CTV they only do it according to the CRTC rules.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That deal has already closed and seeing as ind the end Shaw and Corus have common owners, I would not expect the situation to change. Shaw Communications and Corus may be separate legal entities but the Shaw family is still in control of both.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Simsub Free Shows

I thought I'd start this thread for listing shows that aren't simsubbed. While simsubs don't affect me personally anymore, there is still people I know that hate them and try to schedule their recordings around them at all costs. Anyone can contribute if they come across a show that isn't simsubbed. The few that I know off the top of my head are

Law & Order: SVU - NBC HD not currently simsubbed but that can change.

Chicago Med - NBC HD

Last Man Standing - ABC HD

Supergirl - The CW

The Originals - The CW west feed KTLA HD isn't simsubbed.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Simsubs are invoked by the service provider at the request of the "broadcaster". The service provider must simsub as requested. Simsubs differ by service provider and sometimes even different areas served by that provider. There is a Simsub thread in each provider forum for such discussions due to these differences.

I have therefore moved your post to the Shaw Direct simsub thread, since I believe you're with SD or had numerous posts with SD on the topic of Simsubs.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/139945-shaw-direct-simsub-discussion-24.html#post2652897 Useful Post.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sim-Sub Wacky DVR

Lately we have been having problems with sim-sub programs. We record west coast ABC's "The Chew" on our 630. CITY sim-subs it. The DVR will glitch and display a station information bar. After the glitch, the "skip" function does not work properly, but the fast forward is OK.

As a test, we watched AND recorded the east coast ABC "The Chew". Every so often, watching the live show, the screen will momentarily go black. Going to the DVR recorded show, the skip function work fine UNTIL the screen glitches at the same spot as the live section and displays the info bar and then the skip function doesn't work properly.

We tried the same test with a non-sim subbed channel. Everything works fine.

What is going on ????:crying

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This is what I think is going on. You probably have your settings for start recording early and end late. When you start watching you are watching the ABC feed. A minute or so into the recording the simsub starts. You cannot skip ahead past the simsub insertion point. I find that even if I FF the fast forward stops at the point the simsub starts. It has been like this for a while. I do find that you can skip ahead in the body of the program however.

I have noticed a couple instances where City is the simsub that screen will go black momentarily like the simsub has been interrupted. It has done this with DWTS of late. In fact it hiccuped a couple times, the info bar would appear but after a couple hiccups the progress bar seemed to stop advancing like it was a broken recording. Other then the brief hiccups the program played to the end. Perhaps there is something in the City feed that is causing this as I have not seen it on any other channel yet, but the fall season is just getting underway. You may be better off recording the City feed so that you don't experience any simsub headaches.

·
Registered
554 Posts
CITY Sim-Sub

... Perhaps there is something in the City feed that is causing this as I have not seen it on any other channel yet, but the fall season is just getting underway. You may be better off recording the City feed so that you don't experience any simsub headaches.
Boy, am I glad to see your post LONSat! It is nice to know that other folks have seen this problem.
I don't have a start/end change, just regular recording from a timer.

We do not subscribe to CITY HD West Coast, but that is the SimSub channel recorded where we have selected ABC West. We thought about doing that, but CITY West is grayed-out.

We have the same problem when we watched DVR'ed East Coast CBS's "Scorpion" that sim-subbed to CITY. Watching NBC East HD DVR'ed "Law & Order: True Crime", it sim-subbed to Global Toronto AND the same problem...

We watched "Kelly and Ryan" on East ABC HD, which also comes on CTV at the same time. It did not sim-sub and there were no glitches. :confused:

I hope Shaw Direct is aware of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
361 - 380 of 402 Posts