Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 842 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
With a little patience and good gear, you'll hit the right Birds.

Thanks for the great info joshuals and jimsathome.

Compass Azimuth:
One thing I've never been too clear on is this Compass Azimuth info. Shaw's installation Table in their Manual for Winnipeg says Compass Azimuth = 188, Dish Elevation = 32, and Skew = 99. Satcalculator.net for our Location in Winnipeg says:
True Azimuth = 195.46
Magn. Azimuth = 191.23
Skew Angle = 98.4
Dish Elevation = 31.64

I bought one of those battery powered $5.00 Digital Compass / Organizers at the Sat Store where I got my 76 cm Dish yesterday, (their Compass's were a more expensive $25.00), but where would I need to aim the Dish to on the Digital Compass? 188 degrees like Shaw specifies or 195.46 as noted in Satcalculator.net?
First of all I think you are confusing Sat A (Anik F1R) & Sat B (Anik F2) because they are a few degrees apart (5° in your case, according to the manual).

You ignore "True" Azimuth as most compasses (any cheap one will do) don't have an accurate correction method from Magnetic readings, and besides you are tuning in the Dish. You can't simply set all the angles and "poof" you are done. I calculated it once, and 1° error in Azimuth misses the bird by about 620 Kms. It's far too easy to be off by 1° => even if you think all is plumb and set dead on.

Dishpointer.com advises that Winnipeg Sat B (Anik F2) needs :

Elevation: 31.3°
Azimuth (true): 198.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 194.7°
LNB Skew [CW]: 11.5°

My Shaw Manual advises:

Elevation: 31.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 193°
LNB Skew : 102°

And as you sweep the Dish anyway, a 1.7° error in asimuth is not a big deal. (Remember my "guide" says to start out 20° from the direcion you think the Bird is located at. IMHO the Elevation is the most critical initial setting. And as shown above, both sources agree on that.

Try to think of this process as shooting a pencil thin beam 36,000 KMs away trying to hit F1 dead center - It's 40.4 m (132.5 feet) long and 9.0 m (29.5 feet) wide with the solar panels and antennas deployed.

With a little patience and good gear, you'll hit the right Birds.;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Receiver refresh??

Ok, so I left the north for holidays, received my 60e and tripod for the tailgate party, tried a trial run at my in law's.... the receiver I am using is the new 600, already activated and functioned no problems back up north...do I need to do a refresh on the receiver for a new hit?? I can't seem to get any signal on anything but TSN HD and NFL Network for some reason, quit after a short time as it was too cold

·
Registered
704 Posts
Danny,

I think you forgot the LNBs are different. As I remember up north you use 2 separate Dishes and LNBs. The 60e has a Quad or new xku LNB. You'd need to advise SD of the change and get a re-hit I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i've had the HDPVR630 for almost a year and had it set up by a technician. tonight I was watching TV and then all of a sudden it lost signal and has been reacquisitioning the signal for over an hour now. I unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in and nothing has happened. I don't know the technical stuff about electronics. But the T1 is red and I can't get channel 299 which everywhere I read it says to go to that channel but the T2 is staying steady at 98. I haven't had this kind of problem before.

I had recently renovated my basement into a separate suite, if they got cable hooked up would that interfer with my satellite signal?

any help would be greatly appreciated and try to explain it to me in simple terms as I said above I don't know any of the technical stuff with electronics/

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same problem here is south eastern Ontario. I can get 299 but almost all HD is missing (CTV and SportsNet East) seem to work.

Any theories?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Same problem here is south eastern Ontario. I can get 299 but almost all HD is missing (CTV and SportsNet East) seem to work.

Any theories?
The HD you are seeing is from the satellite at 107.3W, the majority of HD channels are on the satellite at 111.1W. You probably need to align your dish better.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The HD you are seeing is from the satellite at 107.3W, the majority of HD channels are on the satellite at 111.1W. You probably need to align your dish better.
not to sound snarky, but I doubt a magical creature went around and moved ALL of our dishes over night...I'm having the same issue...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Old :: New setup / StarChoice :: ShawDirect / LNB problem?

OK, I know enough to make myself dangerous but not enough to solve this problem. My home and cottage are in Ontario.

Here is my delima. I moved into a high rise condo with ShawDirect services via a MDU setup. The building is brand new, circa 2011, and I know it has a brand new MDU setup including a 75(e) centemetre dish on the roof with multi-switches. So I bought a SD 600 receiver and it works great with my hdtv. I get everything I subscribe for in SD and HD... Lots and Lots of channels. Happy about this part.

So I take my 600 to the cottage for the weekend (BTW, the 600 is ultra compact and great for travelling with ;) ). Here is where the fun begins.

I have a StarChoice 60(e) centemetre antenna with clear line of site to both F1R and F2. The LNB on the dish is a quad port with the dual "eye" looking type, circa 2005. It is "not" the LNB that looks like two cans.

I only have one cable coming into the cottage from the LNB and this goes direct to my 600 receiver that I brought with me from the condo.

I know I am hitting both F1R and F2 because a) my mount is plumb level, (b) my lat/long/elevation/skew are dead nuts and (c) I am getting great power signals from channels on both F1R and F2.

For example, these channels work great:

. Channel .. Options 4, 3, 1 and 7 ........ Map ... Power .. Ecb/No
......................................... Status

CTVBC 004 4128 / A5 / F1R QPSK / 00EE .. 490-4343 .. 96 ..... 8.1
CBCHD 300 4128 / A5 / F2. 8PSK / 0D5C .. 490-4343 .. 93 ..... 7.2
GOLFHD316 4128 / A5 / F1R 8PSK / 0001 .. 490-4343 .. 89 ..... 6.4
TSNHD 310 4128 / A5 / F2. 8PSK / 0D5C .. 490-4343 .. 93 ..... 7.2

OK, so above are examples of SD and HD channels coming in and working great on my receiver and TV from both F1R and F2 at the cottage.

But HD channels TSNHD2, CNNHD on F2 have zero power reading, nada reception!
And SD channels CBCTOR, CTVTOR on F1R have zero power reading, nada reception!

"Receiver has lost satellite signal. Signal re-acquisition is in progress. Please wait."

Dazed and confused... any help?

PS, yes I am subscribed to these channels and they show on my guide as being enabled just can not "tune them in".

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am just guessing here, but is it possible your receiver's V code needs to be changed because the different style LNB ?

I'm just saying this because I was just converted to a new style LNB from a 'circa 2005' one and the installer had a heck of a time getting everything right until the v code was updated to the right one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well maybe call us amazingly lucky, but after authorization yesterday (which took 4 Hours) we finally tried setting up the new 2nd user (Home & Away Plan) Shaw 76 cm Dish and Shaw Direct DSR600 Receiver today in Winnipeg.

Using a Sears Digital Level we Leveled the 7 feet high portable Quad Pole from an old 7 Ft Mesh Dish, mounted the Shaw hardware and 76 cm Dish on top of the Quad Pole. Properly leveling the Pole and Shaw mount on top took about 1/2 hour. Set the Dish Skew to 99, & set Elevation to 31.6 (checking with the Sears Digital Level). Tuned the Receiver to channel 299, then as per Jimsathomes' advice we slowly panned the Dish from far West back to the East and overshot a bit, then turned back West and got a great 100 Signal Quality on channel 299 / Anik F1R. Switched the 600 Receiver to Channel 700 / Anik F2 and saw a Signal Quality of 100 again. Job Done. Total elapsed time to setup & fine tune the Dish for great reception was about 6 minutes. Fantastic, thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well maybe call us amazingly lucky, but after authorization yesterday (which took 4 Hours) we finally tried setting up the new 2nd user (Home & Away Plan) Shaw 76 cm Dish and Shaw Direct DSR600 Receiver today in Winnipeg.

Using a Sears Digital Level we Leveled the 7 feet high portable Quad Pole from an old 7 Ft Mesh Dish, mounted the Shaw hardware and 76 cm Dish on top of the Quad Pole. Properly leveling the Pole and Shaw mount on top took about 1/2 hour. Set the Dish Skew to 99, & set Elevation to 31.6 (checking with the Sears Digital Level). Tuned the Receiver to channel 299, then as per Jimsathomes' advice we slowly panned the Dish from far West back to the East and overshot a bit, then turned back West and got a great 100 Signal Quality on channel 299 / Anik F1R. Switched the 600 Receiver to Channel 700 / Anik F2 and saw a Signal Quality of 100 again. Job Done. Total elapsed time to setup & fine tune the Dish for great reception was about 6 minutes. Fantastic, thanks guys for the help.
Glad to be of assistance. (And Happy you proved my advice works.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
12 percent signal Help...

Hi,

I am trying to set up a Shaw Direct (formally Star Choice) receive at a second location in Manitoba. We are located in Cooks Creek, Manitoba and the main reciever is located only 10 minutes away. The closest main city is Winnipeg. I am very inexperienced with setting up this stuff but thought I would give it a shot.

I am trying to hook up a Star Choice reciever DSR 207 to an elliptical Star Choice dish that was on the property when we purchased it. The reciever is already activated and I have followed the set-up instructions on the Shaw Direct website.

I have correctly attached all the cords, aligned the dish to 111.7 and 107.3, set the evelation, skew and exerything according to the chart for Winnipeg and ensured there was a direct line from the reciever to the dish. After all this no matter what I do I can't get any signal better then 12.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi,

I am trying to set up a Shaw Direct (formally Star Choice) receive at a second location in Manitoba. We are located in Cooks Creek, Manitoba and the main reciever is located only 10 minutes away. The closest main city is Winnipeg. I am very inexperienced with setting up this stuff but thought I would give it a shot.

I am trying to hook up a Star Choice reciever DSR 207 to an elliptical Star Choice dish that was on the property when we purchased it. The reciever is already activated and I have followed the set-up instructions on the Shaw Direct website.

I have correctly attached all the cords, aligned the dish to 111.7 and 107.3, set the evelation, skew and exerything according to the chart for Winnipeg and ensured there was a direct line from the reciever to the dish. After all this no matter what I do I can't get any signal better then 12.

What am I doing wrong?
Have you tried this proceedure?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1326727&postcount=165

If so is the Dish Assembly the same in both locations? In particular does the LNB look the same? I suspect it isn't and you need to have the same LNB type as the reciever was setup with initially; or you'll need to call Shaw to have it remapped to the different LNB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shaw Direct

Hi Jim,

I've read the directions you gave me and they sound identical to want I tried but, I will try it again and follow it step by step. I did also checked out the LBN and they are both quad LBN with an elliptical dish.

Steph

181 - 200 of 842 Posts