Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thanks LONSat. I had already tried all of those,could not get any to work, and was just wondering if someone had the One 5 digit # that actually applied to that one particular TV? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sadly there's also some RCA models that don't have any codes, even with the Scan method. Seems to be some incompatibility between the standard used by RCA and the standard used by Shaw Direct remotes.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
That looks like a fairly new TV, and the 600 remote is a good 5 years or more old. RCA has been resold many times over the years, and now is just a name slapped on Chinese TVs.

Chances are there is no compatible code in the remote.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Very true, but, all but one of the Top 8 Largest TV Manufacturers, by Market Share, in 2019 are located in Asia. 3 from China, 2 from South Korea and 2 from Japan.

https://blog.technavio.com/blog/largest-tv-manufacturers-by-market-share

So this makes RCA just one of the boys.. Today RCA is an American trademark brand owned by French multinational corporation Technicolor SA, which is used on products made by that company as well as Voxx International, ON Corporation and Sony Music Entertainment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_(trademark)

·
Super Moderator
16,573 Posts
That Wikipedia article is incomplete.

RCA - Smart Televisions, DVDs, and LED TVs (www.rcatelecanada.com)

"RCA IS A TRADEMARK OF TECHNICOLOR USA INC USED UNDER LICENSE TO CURTIS INTERNATIONAL LTD., 315 ATTWELL DRIVE, TORONTO, ONTARIO, M9W 5C1. CANADA."

I discovered this a few years ago when I tried to set up an RCA TV for someone on a different provider. When none of the RCA codes worked, I looked at the cardboard box the TV came in and saw the name Curtis in small print. I tried the Curtis codes and one worked.

If none of the Curtis codes work, it's possible:
* The TV was sourced from the U.S. where the RCA brand is licensed to a different manufacturer.
* Curtis has come up with a new code since the Shaw Direct remote was designed. All manufacturers, including the brand names like Sony and Samsung do this from time to time.
* Curtis has sourced the TV from a third party and a search may work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use the search function every time regardless of model. I figure I’m at the break even point as far as time consumed goes, but it’s a lot easier to just sit there and keep hitting that channel+ button TIL she turns off..:)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Using the above information and this article:

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/tv-brands-arent-always-what-they-seem/

from Consumer Reports I found the code under ProScan. " the ProScan name is owned by Technicolor, which controls RCA as well. The brand is currently licensed in North America by Curtis International, an Ontario, Canada, manufacturer and distributor of value-based consumer electronics products."

The correct code is 12256. Thanks for all the interest from digital home members.

·
Super Moderator
16,573 Posts
Proscan was one of the brands listed on the RCA Canada web site under the contact link. Others were Sylvania, Igloo and Curtis.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sadly there's also some RCA models that don't have any codes, even with the Scan method. Seems to be some incompatibility between the standard used by RCA and the standard used by Shaw Direct remotes.
See Dr. Dave's statement above and you will probably find it eventually.

If you are like me (quantity instead of quality), with 7 TV's, basically one in every room, you are bound to own one of these. ha ha

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've noted that the UHF feature on the newer (black) remotes doesn't seem to be working as well as compared to the older (silver) remotes. I have a 630 connected to three TVs via an HDMI splitter, and the TV furthest from the receiver where I use the older remote is way more responsive. I changed the batteries in the other remotes without any success. Anyone else experience this as well?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree the newer, black remotes aren’t nearly as responsive with regards to UHF manipulation. Slow, wrong button presses (all the time) and delayed command entries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Curious if anyone has purchased a ROKU ONN TV and tried to program the Shaw Direct Remote to control the volume on the ONN TV, can't find any codes in the SD info re the usual five numerals and tried the searching method with no luck, we are in Florida and can of course change channels with the regular remote but have to use the ROKU ONN remote for volume, kind of a pain, thanks for any info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see where my message was moved from the southern Shaw Forum (US & Other) to here by their moderator, he probably is unaware of the reason I put it on that forum is most ROKU owners are in the USA and would get the most exposure but that's ok, I think ROKU users are fewer in Canada but if anyone has an answer to the remote I would really appreciate it, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Most remotes have a "scan" feature that runs through all of the codes that are in the remote. If you run the scan and the TV doesn't turn on/off, then it's not in the remote. The remote may have been manufactured before that code was available/programmed in. I found the following link on how to do that, but there's probably something on the SD website that may be newer...

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/152863-shaw-direct-remote-control-discussions-2.html#post1457868

Perhaps someone else has other ideas...

You may wish to consider a programmable remote like the Harmony - it can be programmed for all of your devices and can do many "activities" with one button press. The Harmony 665 is on sale during boxing week for about C$50.

·
Registered
45 Posts
630 remote

I have an older (black) 630 SD remote. Although, I gave it a thorough cleaning, several of the buttons are still not working properly. I am looking for an inexpensive remote that has an easy to use PVR function.
Any suggestions?

141 - 160 of 168 Posts