Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am a new member of the forums, although I have used these forums in the past for information and usually found what I was looking for. This time, I haven’t, so it’s time for me to join and post….

I am a new resident of Gibsons, BC. As a previous Shaw Cable subscriber (Alberta and BC), I am not particularly impressed with what I am getting from Coast Cable (EastLink), in particular the number of available HD channels is disappointing. I am now considering a switch to Shaw Direct (Telus OPTIK isn’t available here). I've heard and read about the various potential 'issues' with satellite (rain, snow), but I'm looking for actual user input. So, if you live on the Sunshine Coast (or Vancouver Island or the Lower Mainland) and subscribe to Shaw Direct service, I want to hear from you. Please let me know what types of weather actually cause interference, and for how long. I pretty much get the snow on the dish issue, but feel free to mention it if it is truly an issue for you.

Please include the following with your post:
- your location (town, city, etc)
- whether your installation was professional or self
- how often over the last 6 months you've experienced any reception issues

I'm not interested in a discussion of who has better channel offerings (I'm capable of doing that on my own), just interested in reception issues.

(Yes, this does seem familiar....I've had to re-post and re-word in order to keep within forum rules....)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi: My sister lives just outside Sechelt and has been very happy with SD reception and its HD quality. They had the dish professionally installed about six years ago and have had mimimal reception problems. Snow build up can usually be avoided by positioning the dish sensibly or at least where it is easily accessible in a storm. That will be dependent on your site of course. We last discussed SD about a year ago and I think she said they had had only 2 brief rain outs in the last 4 years. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
reception for satellite

Hi SC RM,
I live nearby at the end of Howe Sound and been a Shaw Direct customer for about 9 years. The installation was done by myself and my dish is about 5 feet off the ground for winter maintenance out in my garden, I would have to say that rain and snow do not cause any concern. The only way to stop snow from fouling your dish is to place it under your roof overhang if you still have line of sight to the satellites in orbit, otherwise keep it low and not on top of your roof. Only a few times did rain cause pixilating and that was a very heavy rainfall, overall the new receivers and good HD selection make it worth being a Shaw Direct customer.

Cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did my own install on my covered recreational trailer up in Pender Harbour to complement my home in Abbotsford. The sunshine coast is no different than an install anywhere in the lower mainland as far as the typical satelite issues go. As long as there's no obstruction between your chosen site and the Shaw Direct satelites, which are to the S.S.E. from you, then a standard size dish will be fine.

If your dish is peaked properly, then loss of signal due to rainfall should not be an issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am in Oceanside and have the standard dish installed professionally. It works fine. I have seen the odd 'glitch' or artifact on screen during a very heavy rain but never complete loss of usable signal.

If you are concerned about reception, ask the installing dealer to bring you the bigger 75cm dish. These are used in more northerly locations. They are available. . . just insist.

John

·
Registered
709 Posts
Go for the 75e

I agree if you are not adverse to a slightly larger Dish I'd go for the 75e when setting up your account. There is no other downside to this Dish and signals are typically 10 points higher than the 60e.

I've read Shaw Direct typically not only offers these to Customers with reception issues, but also to those in a Rainforest area. (You are in a Rainforest!) I recently negotiated one for a neighbor, and you just have to insist that you want the 75e when talking to Shaw Direct.

I've had a 60e Dish get a bit pixelated during a heavy downpour last summer here in the Lower Mainland (Coquitlam) even though it had great signal strength / ebno numbers. I self installed ( a few times now) but it's quite easy => especially if you are not hanging off a wall or roof. Last summer I too put it in my garden about 5 feet off the ground. It certainly makes aiming it a simple task.

Please post back on what you decide to do. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the posts. I've decided that I will switch to Shaw Direct, however it won't be immediately. The requirement to purchase boxes means it will have to wait (as I have 4 TV's to hook up).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi SC RM, just a further opinion from what you have already received. I live in Roberts Creek, which is very treed, as you might know. 6 years ago, I had my SC now SD installed professionally and had line of sight for the install. We have a very tall house and managed to find the line from the top peak. In the 6 years, we have had rain fade, (more than fade) during heavy rains, and no signal whatsoever when we get snow on the dish, which only lasted a couple of days. I want to say that I love the SD programming, I have the digital package. Recently, as the trees have grown, we are rarely able to get any standard def programming, and always receive our HD programming without any disruption in inclement weather. My issue is that we don't get ANY Vancouver locals in HD, so I am not able to watch anything except CNN or CBC HD Toronto for news channels. All HD channels for networks are American. So, I have been trying to find a solution to this. The household complains everyday about not being able to watch anything from Vancouver and I am struggling for options. I have 3 HD receivers (505) and 2 older legacy boxes (305 maybe). So it is a big investment that makes it difficult to change out. I would recommend getting Wayne from AC out to give a line of site inspection and make sure that it won't be a problem for you.

Other than all that, like I said above, I love the quality of the picture and the choices of the programming that I think most others fall short on. If you are interested in buying a receiver from me, let me know. ;) cheers

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got 3x305s and a dish for free off craigslist. It is amazing how people that leave Shaw (usually for Telus TV) just want to get rid off the stuff without it filling landlfills!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts