Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

541 - 549 of 549 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,587 Posts
@tvmaster More CRTC rules. Because Shaw Direct is a satellite service for all of Canada, it is required to show the local stations for each community.

The CRTC operates mainly on the complaint system, so as long as no one complains that Shaw Direct is giving you 4 PBS stations in HD, the CRTC won't do anything. If they publish a package on their web site with 4 PBS stations, some of their competitors would complain to the CRTC that they are willfully breaking the rules and Shaw would get a nasty reprimand. That goes into their permanent file that gets reviewed when the CRTC decides whether to renew their licence and with what conditions.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The CRTC has to get in line with digital OTA as a competitive source which could take away paid, cable or satellite viewers - in so much that ABC Buffalo can send up to 10 sub channels over the lake for free. Same for PBS Buffalo, so most people in Toronto or Windsor can receive four, PBS channels for FREE already. You know?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Not to veer too far off topic as much as some cord cutters might be turning to OTA, the rest of them and the cord nevers are turning to streaming. Not sure if allowing BDU's to carry the sub-channels is really going to help stop the slide in BDU subscribers. Shaw in particular might not have the bandwidth to offer the various subchannels in East and West time zones. And with the way they shift and drop from the various OTA broadcasters it may not be something that BDU's want to chase.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Vision TV Channel logo

We watch the British show "Vera" on PBS Seattle. Now VisionTV is running the program, but different years of production of the show. I sent an email to Vision asking them to 1. Show their big logo for a few seconds every so often, not continually. 2. Increase the transparency of the logo. 3.Reduce the size of the logo. 4. Move the logo the the bottom right corner of the 16:9 screen. I think the Vision logo is put in for a 4:3 standard def size screen.

I received a reply from Vision which said, "Thank you for your email. Our logo has been carefully designed to be nearly transparent so it does not obscure the content behind it. We apologize for the inconvenience, but it is standard practice to have a logo automatically added to identify the channel."

I replied, asking them if they could just move the logo to the bottom right corner of the screen. No answer.

I suppose that the clerk that replied has no authority to do anything and will likely delete my email. :frown

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi not sure where to post this, wondering if anyone else has heard that Shaw Direct is working on their receivers (I assume the newer models) PVR's so they can be used as a multi room recording. Similar other providers where you can record in one room and watch in another?? I have been told this a couple of times by CSR of Shaw D, once last fall and just recently.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
No, haven't hard this. Would not trust this information as this company has made too many unfilled promises in the past and broke some as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I ended up hardwiring my PVR using an HDMI splitter to three TVs: Living room, master bedroom, and den. The longer runs sent via HDMI to ethernet conversion. The only glitch I get is when I turn on the TV, I get a non-HDCP compliant alert for about 15 seconds before the picture comes on.

·
Registered
522 Posts
wires through walls to basement (where the den is), back up to bedroom and living room. nothing visible, makes the wife happy. Receiver is actually in the bedroom. I have the old style silver remotes in the living room and den, since the UHF on those seems to work better than in the newer black remotes.

541 - 549 of 549 Posts