Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

521 - 540 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
My $5.00 price increase started this month. Anyone else with a price increase called Shaw to see what they could do in these troublesome times?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
U.S. Superstations, PBS, Stingray and Radio/Stingray music prices

Since nobody is around to answer the phone, and after 30 minutes waiting for a CHAT response, I gave up and started building my new package, but ran into a roadblock where no answers on the Shaw Direct programming site were available, so if anyone knows, it would be helpful :)

The U.S. Superstations (KTLA, Wpix, 38 and WGN): the only evidence I found them in was a French package. I have old notes from over a year ago but can't confirm A) how to subscribe to them, and B) how many different pricing schemes they fall under. They used to have a pick-and-pay, but I couldn't find that. Any idea how much $$ and how many different ways to get them?

The FOUR PBS channels. Currently I receive Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle AND Spokane, as my plan is from 2008. When you subsribe to the NEW plans, how many of the PBS channels do we receive, two, or four?

Stingray Loud/Retro/Vibe video channels: I see them as an $8 addition somewhere, but I also remember talking with a CSR last year who said they were alternatively available for a different price (or included) depending on how you built your plan.

Either them, or the U.S. Superstations, were possibly included with the $20 Crave/HBO Movie Pack - can anyone confirm or deny that?

Lastly, the Stingray Music AND Radio channels (cross Canada): The only place I see them is in a $8 package, but in the old days they were ALWAYS included. Any idea how many different ways to include them and for how many different $$ options?

Sorry if this is a lot to digest, but what else are most of us doing these days but helping each other out online, right?

Are you still at work these days, k801809?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It is true that there needs to be 10 days to update information - the request for withdrawal is sent to the bank 10 days prior, so any changes made under that won't be reflected. Your balance will just roll over to the following month and withdraw at once (unless you make a onetime manual payment through the website in the meantime).
Do you know what times the phones are being monitored? Is it still 7am EDT? Any idea when they shut down each day?

·
Registered
11 Posts
While looking at the Shaw support forum on the Shaw site, I came across this notice that suspended the spring rate increase for all their platforms (https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/postponed-june-1-2020-rate-adjustment-faq/ta-p/15219) due to Covid-19 but not for Shaw Direct:

"As a Shaw customer you may have received notification of an upcoming service rate adjustment for Internet, Home Phone and select TV add-on services effective June 1. We want to inform you that we have made the decision to postpone the previously announced residential service rate adjustment. No action is required as these changes will automatically be adjusted for our customers. We apologize for any confusion."

Everyone should email Shaw Direct to demand the same consideration.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I’ve seen my bill increase TWICE in the last three months. Thanks for this info, but instead, I’m going to use my online time to try and cut 30% off my services and costs. There’s really not any reason to be paying $25 for the sports channels, is there? And k801809 seems to have gone missing, so it’s even harder to get info these days.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Huh. And yet I've already been billed and paid for the increase. Let's see if they apply these changes to my next one.

It is difficult to deal with their payment system. When I once set it up for auto-withdrawals, they kept taking two payments out, three days apart. Now that I do it manually again, I note that their online bill is always out of date. So I send them what I think is the correct amount, and then check the next statement.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Since nobody is around to answer the phone, and after 30 minutes waiting for a CHAT response, I gave up and started building my new package, but ran into a roadblock where no answers on the Shaw Direct programming site were available, so if anyone knows, it would be helpful :)

The U.S. Superstations (KTLA, Wpix, 38 and WGN): the only evidence I found them in was a French package. I have old notes from over a year ago but can't confirm A) how to subscribe to them, and B) how many different pricing schemes they fall under. They used to have a pick-and-pay, but I couldn't find that. Any idea how much $$ and how many different ways to get them?

The FOUR PBS channels. Currently I receive Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle AND Spokane, as my plan is from 2008. When you subsribe to the NEW plans, how many of the PBS channels do we receive, two, or four?

Stingray Loud/Retro/Vibe video channels: I see them as an $8 addition somewhere, but I also remember talking with a CSR last year who said they were alternatively available for a different price (or included) depending on how you built your plan.

Either them, or the U.S. Superstations, were possibly included with the $20 Crave/HBO Movie Pack - can anyone confirm or deny that?

Lastly, the Stingray Music AND Radio channels (cross Canada): The only place I see them is in a $8 package, but in the old days they were ALWAYS included. Any idea how many different ways to include them and for how many different $$ options?

Sorry if this is a lot to digest, but what else are most of us doing these days but helping each other out online, right?

Are you still at work these days, k801809?

Thanks folks.
I can answer some of your questions. Over the years, I have lost track of a lot of things, mostly because of Shaw Direct's convoluted programming selection process, some programming options grandfathered and some available but not advertised. I'll only change channel/programming selections via phone or chat because online does not present the proper options nor does it correctly show what I have. The Superstations' package is one of those that has rarely been advertised but still available for subscription. I subscribe to the four channels (KTLA, WPIX, 38 and WGN) for $3.00/month. The last time I had a conversation with them, I was told that my pricing on this is grandfathered so the package is available but probably at a higher price. I believe that each of these channels is available separately but they are a stupid price.

I'm pretty sure that for PBS, you would only get one channel from one market area, i.e. one East, one West.

Stingray Loud/Retro/Vibe: don't know what you have for a package now but the best deal for these is if you have Small TV, Medium, etc., you can pick any one of these as a selection and you get all of them so basically these equal one channel.

The Superstations were always included with the premium movie channel but since this Crave thing, I don't know if they still do it.

I get the Stingray music channels but technically don't subscribe to them so they must be included in the basic I would guess. I thought that this was always the case. I don't bother with the radio channels anymore. I used to subscribe but they moved out all the Montreal radio to a separate package, even the English ones. Radio is available free through internet radio, online and probably even apps on your TV so not worth paying for, in my opinion.

Hopefully, this helps you out. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for the very long and helpful answer. I agree that IF you can get a live human, your chances of better prices/packages increase, but while I was chatting online last week, asking these questions, the CSR really wanted me to just “keep what you have or go with Total TV”.

That seemed less helpful than I was hoping for.

Also, he never mentioned that $3.00 Superstation option, even when continually prodded.

It really does seem that the CSR’s a) don't really know what options exist, or b) are allowed to make up whatever they think they can get you to agree to. It’s rather frustrating, and not at all a very mature, intelligent way to run a media empire.

I was told the Superstations ARE included with the $20 Crave/HBO pack, but when it came to the FOUR PBS channels, the CSR had no idea.

And that’s just ridiculous, as I currently receive all four (Detroit, Buffalo, Spokane & Seattle). They are clearly listed in the channel charts, but it seems like some mysterious voodoo to have someone say “yes, you can get all four, and here’s what you need to do”.

If k801809 was around, that may help, but they’ve left the scene apparently.

Thanks again, and stay tuned. One thing’s for sure, after being a loyal (never missed a payment), 19-year customer, I just can’t justify a $152 monthly bill, with zero live sports. And no, Shaw, TSN and Rogers haven’t offered ANY discounts until Covid-19 is solved.

·
Super Moderator
16,395 Posts
@tvmaster I'm surprised you still receive all 4 PBS channels. It's probably because your grandfathered package is so old that it's locked and no changes can be made to it. Here's what I posted in the Shaw Direct channel thread a little while ago.
Originally Posted by starchoice
My U.S. network feeds from Spokane on standard definition have been removed and the television info page states a new channel number but it is for Seattle, not Spokane. So I was getting the feeds on standard def and a set of different feeds on HD and now it seems that they are combining them into one.
The CRTC allows 1 local and 1 distant feed for each U.S. network (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS.) An exception was made during the launch of HD if the affiliate did not have an HD feed, so Shaw Direct was able to carry the Spokane station in SD and the Seattle station in HD. That situation was always meant to be temporary and is now over.
All the packages except Limited include the sports channels, so it's pretty hard to avoid paying for them, unless you only want your "local" networks, plus 1 or 2 pick and pay channels.

It's possible that all the packages except Limited include the Stingray audio channels. (Don't know about Radio) CRTC regulations say that TV providers can only provide the mandatory channels in the Limited package.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Dr. Dave, thanks. They have our hands tied with the sports thing. They really should make them optional in ALL packages for the next year at least. As far as the PBS channels, like I said - ALL FOUR are listed as HD channels in the new, National guide. I’d think if they were only available via an old, grandfathered clause, wouldn’t they just delist them from the guide?

·
Super Moderator
16,395 Posts
If the channels exist in the grandfathered package, they still need a channel number.

In the old days, Shaw would let you pick your "local" network and your "distant" network, if you had timeshifting. Some people used to game the system by choosing Spokane (which was only SD) and getting Seattle as the HD equivalent. Likewise for the eastern channels. I don't know what Shaw does for the new packages. Either they let you pick one east and one west, or they pick them for you.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I ‘picked’ my package long before Shaw had ANY HD channels. I guess I’ll keep trying to connect to a human being in hopes of keeping all four. If Shaw smartened up and offered all four as a channel pack, $5 let’s say, I bet they’d get a lot of subs, because every one of them has their own, independent schedule.

·
Super Moderator
16,395 Posts
CRTC regulations limit the U.S. networks to one local and one distant station per subscriber. The CRTC refers to them as 4 + 1. (ABC, CBS, NBS, FOX + PBS) Used to be 3 + 1 before FOX started if you can remember that far back.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the old ability to choose Spokane as your PBS source which use to be only StdDef and you would get Seattle PBS as PBS West HD and likewise choosing Buffalo PBS which was once only StdDef and getting Detroit PBS as the PBS HD version for the east. If you have an old package the HD versions replaced the StdDef versions in the last year and voila 4 PBS sources.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yup, I kinda understand that, but it’s just odd a member here knows the CRTC rules of carriage but. Shaw CSR doesn’t.
So to make a long story short, If I tinker with my grandfathered plan, there’s no way Buffalo or Spokane would be allowed as choices anymore?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
With a new package you would you would have either Spokane PBS or Seattle PBS and either Buffalo PBS or Detroit PBS assuming you have a time shifting package or US package. Basically you have Seattle Nets (ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC) with a choice of either Seattle or Spokane PBS's and Detroit Nets with a choice of Buffalo or Detroit PBS's (East Nets Detroit with exception of Fox Rochester).

I wouldn't expect the CSR to know the CRTC rules. They are shown the codes that they can punch into the Shaw system that change the packages. Most of them wouldn't know any of the rules behind why some of the packages are they way they are, whether they are CRTC rules or Shaw Direct bundling restrictions.

The four PBS anomaly is probably more a computer programming glitch in that nobody built in a conversion to look at the PBS preference on individual accounts to see that Spokane was the preference and Seattle PBS should be dropped. The same with Buffalo PBS. It is also possible that because these are grandfathered plans that is was considered too much trouble to create new "grandfathered plan" system codes that honoured the PBS selection choice. There may not be that many subscribers that have this "issue" to warrant a fix.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It’s amazing how much great programming there is, and DIFFERENT, prime time shows.
it really is cool having four PBS channels. Buffalo caters to Torontonians, and Detroit has some great entertainment programs. Last week, just one of the PBS channels ran a RSO concert (Richie Sambora/Orianthi), while they other three - nada. This happens a fair amount.
Shaw - offer all four as a single channel pick.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Although you might not get a certain programme on first airing, I find that a single PBS channel will eventually carry all the non-local PBS programming. I used to pay for time-shifting with Rogers to get Seattle, but I found it wasn't worth it.

Granted, it may take months for a certain programme, say Vera, ACL, etc, to come from one affiliate to another, I have not missed anything like that yet. I watch almost all the British detective series. I probably watch more PBS than any other channel.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yeah, that’s what I figured with this RSO concert, but nothing. Looked ahead in the guide two weeks, still nothing. I’d just prefer all four. Goodness knows we’ve got 25 CTV feeds...

521 - 540 of 549 Posts