Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

441 - 460 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
They would be auto included in Large, and available in the Music Theme Pack. Or, as mentioned in the other thread, can be taken as one of your customized options for Extra Small, Small and Medium.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
ah, ok, so the $8.00 Music pack includes them as well. That makes sense, but the website is so OUT OF DATE it doesn’t indicate that. Sorry for all the questions, but between the inaccuracies of the Shaw site, and the insane telephone hold-times, you are our best source :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Another question: if I discontinue my old, Platinum package in favour of a new package, would I still receive all the currently active STANDARD DEF channels until Shaw deactivates them? Classic East map.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If you choose a new package with with one of the legacy channel maps (Classic or Advanced) you will receive the channel in Std Def only or if both versions available, you will receive the Std Def and HD version until such time as the Std Def drops. With the new National lineup you get any subscribed channel that is HD only and Std Def channels of those that have not converted with a couple exceptions. You do not get the West Std Def feeds of a couple of channels like W, YTV, History which come to mind. They will presumably get added back in once the HD version launches over the next couple months. Not sure if that was intentional or an oversight but should resolve as the West HD versions launch.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
So if I like the west coast, SD Comedy feed, I’ll continue to get that, or lose it instantly? If the latter, I guess I’ll wait until the mandatory National lineup?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
As long as you keep the classic or advanced lineup you will keep it if it's in your package, be it platinum or a newer package. You would only lose it (instantly) with the National lineup.

Wow, Platinum that goes way back.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yeah, it’s a great package, and was at a good price. But the price has climbed nearly $50! And channels have been taken away, so it’s time to shed some expense...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am trying to convince the wife that we dont need to watch the reality shows that populate the tv scene these days.
I am having a hard time convincing her because if it was for me I would cut Shaw.
Paying $150.00/month to watch tv is not a great idea in my books.

Sooner or later she will crack and then I will get rid of Shaw. Sorry you cant continue to increase prices like this when online streaming is so much cheaper with better content.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking for the link of an old package , the Titanium bilingual. I called SD today and they told me it's still available but couldnt find any link to give me .

·
Registered
195 Posts
All of the older packages are no longer advertised online - I would recommend asking what your Theme Packs are, as that'll help you narrow down what's able to be customized in your package. Then, your base is the following (focusing only on specialty channels, so there will be more included):

1 set of US Networks
ABC Spark HD
APTN HD
CBC News Network HD
CMT HD
Cottage Life HD
CTV News HD
Daystar
E! HD
Game TV HD
ICI RDI HD
LCN HD
Makeful HD
MeteoMedia HD
MTV HD
Much HD
National Geographic HD
RDS HD
RDS 2 HD
Sportsnets HD
T+E HD
The Rural Channel
Weather Network HD
TLN HD
TSNs HD
Vision TV HD
Yoopa HD
YTV HD

·
Registered
132 Posts
i currently have ontario life which has gone up to $91 and i have a pick2 channel pack which has climbed to a criminal price of $9, and then add on the $5.99 multi receiver fee which is also criminal and my price after taxes got to over $119 a month.
I guess my option is to drop SD or try and go to a cheaper package. I was thinking of the medium package which is $93 and after taxes would be like $105 and still expensive but I would save about $15/month. Any recommendations on the best value package for your money would be greatly appreciated.

SD fluffs up the number of base channels by including dozens of CTV, Global, CBC etc. from pretty much every city in canada which to me is an absolute waste and pointless.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Agreed on the insane replication of CDN network channels. While yes, it makes sense for a particular locale to have access to it’s local nets, I don’t see why everyone has to pay for every, single CDN network affiliate. Maybe one each from each time zone, but not five?

Yes, Shaw has to find transponder space for all of them to service all subscribers, but I do feel we’re all paying way too much for channels most of us will never, ever watch.

So you’ve got CBC, CTV, CityTV & Global. Set up a pack where subscribers can choose one each of those, per time zone. That would = four zones (your own doesn’t count) multiplied by four nets, equals 16 channels. That would be all we really need, right?

And if you want to pay three times as much, you can have them all.

My bill has gone from $89 to $146, and I’ve actually lost channels along the way.
Ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
16,403 Posts
@tvmaster and @Billy34 - Shaw Direct has to carry all the locals to meet CRTC regulations. They pay a flat Copyright fee for every premises that subscribes to distant stations (time shifting), regardless of the of the number of stations involved. That fee from all the TV providers is shared among the stations according to their own formula. I don't know if there are other direct costs, but I doubt there would be much difference in the price of the time shifting package with 4 cities compared to the current plan.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I know they HAVE to carry them, which I believe was in my first sentence. Nonetheless, the costs which Shaw is increasing our rates is out of control. In my case, 50% in 10 years. Not sure about you, but nobody in our house has had a 50% salary increase in that time. Apparently, EVERYONE in the CDN satellite/broadcast industry has....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone had success with Shaw Direct CSR's regarding deals for long time customers to reduce the cost of the constant price increases?
I currently have the old Digital Advantage + Time shift for $82 /month, this has increased 24% in the last 3-years.
Any luck getting through to a loyalty/ retention's CSR?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
No. It’s nearly impossible to find a human answering a phone, unless you’re the first-caller-in at 7am. Chat also is frustrating, as typing takes waaaaaay too long to negotiate and shop. If and when I quit Shaw for Rogers or Bell, the reason will be the dreadful phone wait-times. The only thing keeping me at Shaw, momentarily, is my investment in hardware.
Are you reading this, Shaw?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I totally agree with the disgusting horrible phone customer service that shaw direct has. No matter what day or what time you call, you can never get through as they always say we are experiencing longer than normal wait times.. such BS. Even the chat is almost impossible to get through on, but I want to talk to a human if I have an issue. With the amount we are all paying for their services, you would think they could afford to pay a few more customer service employees to help people out.

441 - 460 of 549 Posts