Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

361 - 380 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
They are constantly driving themselves out of business... I wish I had unlimited internet at home (Only have Xplornet available).

But Im more and more considering leaving Shaw for good. I dont need to spend so much to watch a couple channels.
Sure I can watch 500 channels but in the end I am always watching the same 5 or 6 channels so why should I pay for the other 495?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Anyone else get notice of a price increase. Mine will be in the neighbourhood of $8. Pretty steep in my opinion. They site the addition of new HD channels. Do you think they will drop the price as the Std Def channels disappear? No I am not really expecting an answer to that. They will be using far fewer transponders when the MPEG4 conversion and the move to all HD is done.
Yes, funny that, isn’t it? with the deletion of SD bandwidth, their satellite costs should shrink, and the free’d up space will likely get populated with on-demand, pay channels, special pay-events, or South American services. Yet the CDN customer will see a hike. Guess it’s time to sharpen up the old programming pencil, and trim the fat....

·
Registered
551 Posts
I can't believe that increase! Does anyone have ANY idea yet as to what the increase is for each individual package? We have the grandfathered Digital Advantage package at $70 and it had an increase on December 1, 2017 of $3. So if it went up another $8? That would be an increase of about 16% in a year! I've been lucky in that I've been able to get the discount for the time shift package for about a year now, but that still makes it $71 without the multi-receiver fee. At a certain point, I can't rationalize it any longer.

We're thinking about possibly just reducing to Extra Small TV (which is still too pricey at $59 regular price mind you and who knows what the increase will be coming up). Does anyone who has it know if you can get the time shift package as an add-on? Or if it won't let you do that? And it seems to include all the Sportsnet and TSN feeds. Is that true? I guess I'm wondering about what I THINK I'd get that I wouldn't get. Getting just five extra channels on top of that is possible for us providing we have sports, the time shifting for the U.S. and Canadian channels because here in the West, we like to watch "Grey's Anatomy" at 3pm haha.

Everything else we can just watch online.

Otherwise maybe the Small TV if the Extra Small TV doesn't give us the sports and allow for the time shifting.

If anyone knows about this, I'd appreciate a reply about it.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I switched from the Ontario Value Package to Small TV. They allowed me the 15 picks plus the time shift plus premium channels at extra cost, $7.00 for time shift and $4 for a premium channel.
The only difference between Extra Small and Small is the number of picks (5 to 15).
My package is going up $5.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I switched from the Ontario Value Package to Small TV. They allowed me the 15 picks plus the time shift plus premium channels at extra cost, $7.00 for time shift and $4 for a premium channel.
My package is going up $5.
Did you notice any difference with any of the Canadian and U.S. programming when you went to Small TV? And do you have all the Sportsnet and TSN feeds in HD? That $5 increase is a lot! And just so we can watch endless reruns of "Storage Wars" on OLN...

You should consider asking Customer Relations for the time-shifting discount for six months. You might get it and if you do, you should get the time shifting at 99 cents.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don’t get much in the way of kids stuff anymore but the time shift is worth it. I get all the programming from before and more. All the packages from Extra Small have all the sports channels in HD. You can’t really get a clear picture from the website. Don’t try to pick the channels from their lists, contact a live person either by chat or phone and tell them what you want.
I am getting Small TV for $59.99, time shift for .99cents and Discovery Velocity for $4.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Due to the increases coming up, I decided to look around on Optik TV and really, it's going to be hard to rationalize stay with Shaw Direct unless they'll really bargain like crazy. Optik has something called "Pick 6" or something which is $60 per month, $30 per month for the first six months. The programming would be similar to what we have now with the Digital Advantage BUT it would also include a wireless box that would be helpful to us and it wouldn't involve a multi receiver fee (it's a rental) and some of the programming is in 4K.

With our Shaw Direct discounts in place, the price for the year is similar to a year of the Pick 6 prorated, but that's also prior to the price increase. I've been with Shaw Direct for a long, long time and have generally been happy and they've been generous with discounts, but this would have to be a biggie to compete with Telus at this point and we already have our Internet with Telus.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
ok, what’s with the TMN to Crave corporate name change? Is this a way to break grandfathered rate plans? Can anyone explain how this effects Shaw Direct users, especially ones who don’t use online services like Crave due to no internet connection. It looks like plans may force Crave Streaming into the HBO / ex TMN package.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
TVmaster we are still getting all the channels okay on Shaw. Just the TMN channels are now called Crave channels. HBO is still HBO. But they broke their stupid website it doesn't have any schedules anymore!!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Due to the increases coming up, I decided to look around on Optik TV and really, it's going to be hard to rationalize stay with Shaw Direct unless they'll really bargain like crazy. Optik has something called "Pick 6" or something which is $60 per month, $30 per month for the first six months. The programming would be similar to what we have now with the Digital Advantage BUT it would also include a wireless box that would be helpful to us and it wouldn't involve a multi receiver fee (it's a rental) and some of the programming is in 4K.

With our Shaw Direct discounts in place, the price for the year is similar to a year of the Pick 6 prorated, but that's also prior to the price increase. I've been with Shaw Direct for a long, long time and have generally been happy and they've been generous with discounts, but this would have to be a biggie to compete with Telus at this point and we already have our Internet with Telus.
I was on the verge of switching but under closer scrutiny, the "Small" tv package seemed to fit the bill with a choice of 15 individual channels. I was allowed to keep my grandfathered "Superstations" package, the channels apparently only available grouped with the expensive Movies package or individually at about $4 a pop. TELUS has them but as a theme pack so eats up a selection. What put it over the line which ShawDirect does not seem to advertise is that there is no more Multi-Receiver fee with the new packages. It is now "included" so you still get the benefit but no additional charge.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Multi-Receiver Fee and Warranty

That is a terrific feature that they should advertise. I never understood their website regarding the free unlimited time warranty on equipment and the multi-receiver fee.

... ShawDirect does not seem to advertise is that there is no more Multi-Receiver fee with the new packages.

·
Registered
551 Posts
What put it over the line which ShawDirect does not seem to advertise is that there is no more Multi-Receiver fee with the new packages. It is now "included" so you still get the benefit but no additional charge.
Are you sure about that? Because I was told the multi-receiver fee was NOT included with the packages.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Are you sure about that? Because I was told the multi-receiver fee was NOT included with the packages.
Absolutely, 100%. Normally, I would not take anyone's word but I have received my billing with the new channel selections and there is no MRF.

I thought something was up when I was looking at their packages and noticed that "Limited TV" stated "Multi-Receiver Fee extra" but nothing for the others.

·
Super Moderator
16,587 Posts
I pointed out a year ago that with the new packages, only Limited charges an extra multi-receiver fee.
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/227537-shaw-direct-programming-pricing-discussions-19.html#post2975410

Here was one of the responses. :)
I called today as I had a promotion on my Digital Advantage package that was over next week...But I was also able to find out a few things about the new packages, the Small, Medium and Large. Firstly, they DO include the multi-receiver fee, except for Limited TV...

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you are on the Small or Medium packages, how many times can you change your pick 5/15 channels? I assume you can do this online?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I pointed out a year ago that with the new packages, only Limited charges an extra multi-receiver fee.
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/227537-shaw-direct-programming-pricing-discussions-19.html#post2975410

Here was one of the responses. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHans
I called today as I had a promotion on my Digital Advantage package that was over next week...But I was also able to find out a few things about the new packages, the Small, Medium and Large. Firstly, they DO include the multi-receiver fee, except for Limited TV...
Haha...too funny. Someone told me the other day that I'm such a smartie pants that I forgot more than most remember. And I thought they were being sarcastic, but it's true...

And thanks for that original post that I clearly forgot about. Sorry @Dr.Dave

·
Registered
551 Posts
I got my new bill today and finally saw my increase -- Digital Advantage up to $74 from $70! I phoned with the hope of drastically reducing my programming without losing timeshifting, sports and HD channels. I was figuring the Extra Small TV, which was good enough, particularly considering the multi-receiver fee was included. BUT I had two discounts -- one flat one per month good for about a year and timeshifting at 99 cents. They didn't want to let me keep my timeshifting and wanted to charge me $8 for that alone.

It was tough, considering I could get a better deal with Telus for Optik for more channels. Honestly, it wasn't just about the channels though. I wanted to stay with Shaw Direct for some other reasons. Finally they agreed to let me keep my discounts including the timeshifting. So now I'm OK with the Extra Small TV. But I think the writing's on the wall as the timeshifting expires in six months and I'm NOT paying $8 for it after that.

But it's good for now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Question :

I changed my programation recently and i now have the english small package ( basic + 15 english channels ) i also took the extra french package ( 10 channels for 20$).
When i called i tried to get the english medium ( basic + 30 english channels ) asking if i could chose english AND french channels for my total of 30 picks.
Sadly they told me that it wasnt possible, i couldnt pick enlgish AND french channels in my 30 since i took an english programation.

Any of you were able to get a mix of English AND French with the english medium ?

361 - 380 of 549 Posts