Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After discovering that I can have 3HD streams, I finally decided to pull the plug and order Optik TV (in the past the website would say 1HD only).

The only thing I'm really curious about is the HD picture quality. I read different opinions about the PQ, so my question is directed to people that switched from Shaw Direct to Telus (or vice versa).

How do you compare the HD PQ between those two providers?

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
243 Posts
To help you out a bit, my brother has Telus Optik, and I have Shaw Direct. We both have identical 1080p Panasonic Plasma TVs, and I can see a difference. Certainly sharper with Shaw Direct HD, with some pixels during heavy movement. Telus is softer, but more channel choices.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DTVguy's statement is bang on. I switched from Shaw direct. If HD PQ is your biggest concern, don't switch. For me all the the extra features and HD channels with Optik outweighed the PQ. Not sure if the same argument applies today with the 630PVR but with the 530 it definately did.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers, that's pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

I like SD PQ, but I wouldn't mind trading off a little bit of it for all the features and channel, especially the possibility of bringing new channels, that Telus offers. What I don't want is to ended up with some very crappy PQ on a 60" tv.

Also, I called SD about adding a second receiver to my house and they told me I would need to buy the receiver and pay the install fee plus the 6 bucks more on my bill.
With Telus I won't pay installation and I will get the HD PVR and one HD box for free (free rental). The only downside I see with Telus is to have a 3 year contract, but I guess I could go to BB or FS and buy the PVR if I want to avoid that.

Rod

·
Registered
243 Posts
$6 more? How many receivers do you have now? Are you on an older grandfathered package? I'm assuming for the $6 more, you have one receiver, and thus may be subject to the multi-warranty BS fee for adding another, or could have it waived by changing to a bigger package.

If you're really curious, sign up for Telus, do a side by side, and cancel if you're unhappy (you should have 10 days regardless). If you're happy, call and cancel Shaw Direct.

On a side note, don't call these call centres sniffing for deals; you only get the good deals when you go through the motions: "Hi Jenny at Shaw Direct, I'm calling to cancel because I'm moving to Telus TV." This is where she'll transfer you to the loyalty department and then the deals come, depending on how loyal of a customer you've been (example: waive $6 fee, new receiver HD-PVR at little to no cost, depending on credits, cheaper programming package).

I may be way off, but someone with more info can jump in. However, 60" TV, and I doubt Telus will not look good at all. I'm surprised SD looks good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, DTVGuy.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I will get Telus installed and compare to SD before deciding which way to go. I was told I have 30 days to cancel Telus without paying any penalties.

As for the SD call center, I'm aware I won't get a deal unless I talk to Loyalty department. I will do that if I decide to keep SD instead of switching to Telus.

I just didn't quite get what you're saying about the PQ. You think Telus will look good but you're surprised that SD looks good?

·
Registered
439 Posts
digao, I had Telus and SD side by side for a month on my 42" Panny. I saw differences right away but that was due to: Telus - HDMI and SD was on Component. Once I calibrated my Panny for HDMI the pictures were pretty close in quality. Now for Operation of the PVR's: the Telus PVR is in another league than the SD 630. If you want a good quality picture with no HDMI handshake problems and a bullet proof PVR ( I won't go into all the features) go with the Telus PVR.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth. I just called SD to cancel and told them it was due to rising costs, multiple receiver fee, and low PQ in rain. They absolutely refused to waive the fee, saying it was industry standard (huh) but if I paid for higher packages it would be included. They then offered me the Digital Indulgence pack which is $48.99 (you cannot select this pack, it can only be offered by a CSR), $10 less then the digital favorites I have now, and then add on the $6 fee to save me $4 month.

Don't do me any favors guys. It is funny how they asked what they had to do to keep me from going, and then poo-poo'd on everything I suggested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts