Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have to agree w/ Checkers. I have had Shaw Direct for 6 months now. I had Shaw Cable for many years and the picture quality was generally quite good. I had always heard that Star Choice/ Shaw Direct had good pq as well.

Some channels and certain programs the quality is good, but more often it is poor. Fast moving pictures are definitely the worst for blocking and artifacts.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I am coming off of a four year period of being a chord cutter and watching ota.

I have found their call centres to be as good as any of their competitors. At least their call centres are located in Canada. I ended up w/ Shaw because I refused to be forced in to a contract to receive a competitive price.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can only say that for us, the HD PQ is absolutely wonderful. We have a Sony 4K TV and it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between the Shaw picture and broadcast OTA at 1080i. This is with both the 600 and 630 receivers.

Because we don't have a Bell set-up we can't compare the images but based on what 57 said, it would have to be inferior because it is only 720p.

Having said that, Standard def. channels on Shaw are not a pretty picture. And the larger the TV screen is, the worse it is. That's why when they were having problems with the HD channels RDS and RDS2, it was not a pleasant experience. Just wish all channels were HD and be done with Standard Def.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree about the standard def channels. They are bad PQ when stretched out to fit the screen which you have to do with them if you don't want those annoying bars :) With respect to the comparisons, we have found that Shaw Direct is better than Fibe, Fibe is better than cable, and OTA beats all of them. A lot of PQ is due to your TV and the settings on it.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
...Fibe is better than cable...
A bit OT for this thread, but I disagree completely. Fibe is 720P and soft. Most Cable (certainly Rogers Ontario) provides the channel without downconverting to 720P, leaving 1080i as 1080i and 720P as 720P when sent to your home. All else is not equal, so format is not the only criteria, certainly the compression methods and bitrate are different too - the topic for another thread.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have had Bell Satellite before, I now have Shaw Direct for 18 years (6 receivers) and have Direct TV. I am surprised at people saying that Shaw Direct has better picture quality than anyone. I find it by far the worst out of the three. My system is professionally calibrated, audio and video, and my screen is 174" so I notice any issues what so ever. I watch Direct TV as much as I can because it is by far the best, there are some channels I don't even notice compression artifacts or mosquito noise at all. Last nights Leaf game had terrible video quality on Shaw Direct, not to mention the audio only coming through in stereo...........but that's something else I have been trying to get fixed for over a year, it's now in the hands of The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picture Quality - Sports

Hi everyone,
I've had Shaw for a few months now and am satisfied for the most part.

However - watching football I notice that the picture is fuzzy as the camera pans across the field. The greens/grass in particular go fuzzy the most.
As soon as the player stops it seems ok.
I notice this sometimes in Hockey as well.
Movies and regular TV - not an issue.

HD PVR from Shaw and a 58" Panasonic plasma.

I did not notice this with Bell.

Thanks .............Ken

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
1. Try various output settings on the PVR (I assume it's a 630). 1080i may be better than 720P for example.

2. Bell downconverts and sends all signals as 720P, therefore they can look "softer" and you don't notice the various artifacts as much.

3. Perhaps a proper optimization of the TV would help reduce these sorts of artifacts. For example, turn off any edge enhancements, other automatic settings and reduce the sharpness to say 25 out of 100.

4. Here are a few relevant FAQs:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76129-faq-hdtv-formats.html

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/57741-hdtv-frequently-asked-questions-please-read-before-posting-forum.html

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76161-faq-what-you-need-do-your-new-hdtv.html

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Had both (currently SD) - Bell in my opinion is better overall.

Example -Watch CTV Toronto (HD) and the pixelation is terrible!

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Picture quality on ctvnewsnet hd

Has anyone noticed that the scrolling news feed at the bottom of the screen seems to have a shake in it? A few other channels I have tried have what looks like dropped frames from compression.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Picture Quality

Just curious if others are seeing alot of background flicker on their HD channels, especially in darker areas. Im noticing this on most hd channels. Trying to figure out if its a tv issue or Shaw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that the picture has got a bit dark over the last few days. Watching some things like the Big Bang Theory on comedy and the picture seems really dark on a brand new Oled. Dark areas are crushed and Im seeing this on all 4 of my tvs. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I use a Pioneer AVR and 65" Samsung LCD TV set with my DVR630. I have not seen any problem as you describe. Unrelated: Lots of audio and some video dropouts now, mostly on CNN, but other channels too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
No problems like you describe on any of my TVs. I get flickering on black backgrounds when I'm watching SD (even on an HD channel). Sounds like you have a problem with your new TV or cabling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone noticed any better picture quality with all the new MPEG4/HD upgrades? Just guessing but you would think it should help the PQ.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have notice Picture Quality get even better on some of the MPEG 4 channels.
Vision TV HD is running a remastered HD version of the Waltons right now that looks remarkable for such an old TV show.
Lucky the Waltons were shot on film so it looks like they have made new prints and scanned them into HD.
I’ll make a note and see what other channels have improved on MPEG 4.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts