Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just got an email from Shaw Direct. The Inside Scoop. at the bottom it says coming soon, Shaw Direct Online VOD. Watch Movies and Tv shows on youre computer. Does anyone know anything about this at all?

Also, I wonder if ever, they will offer whole house dvr like Direct TV in the US does.

Dean

·
Registered
301 Posts
will it be compatible with Wii and other consoles and blueray like Netflix or event the 600 series receivers using the Ethernet?

Having the family gather around the laptop to watch a movie just doesn't cut it for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Online VOD is coming to Shaw Direct. More details will be available soon.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee
Will it be available to Home-Away-From-Homers whose cottage (and ISP) is outside of Canada?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Most modern televisions accept PC input

Not all TV's can and not all PC can work at the TV native resolution My laptop certainly can't and the aspect gets messed up. even if it did work I don't want to have to hook up my laptop every time I want to watch a movie. I hope that they make it work with things that are already capable of streaming to the tv like game consoles and blueray Players. or the best would be through the 605/630 receivers.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Any computer with a VGA out and any TV with a VGA in will work. I sometimes need to do it, as the various PS3 media servers have issues with some of the file types.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Any computer with a VGA out and any TV with a VGA in will work. I sometimes need to do it, as the various PS3 media servers have issues with some of the file types.
As you say they will work and I do for slide shows etc but some TVs like mine will only display 4X5 with the VGA. This is a sad reality with some older LCDs. I can stretch to wide screen but that just distorts the image. But that is not my point. I am not going to install a computer at the TV just for VOD. and I dont want to hook up my laptop every time someone wants to watch a VOD movie or show. Id actually like to use my laptop for what I bought it for. Photo editing and Ham Radio stuff. I will pose the question to Ask Jim

From TV Manual
To use a PC, set the monitor output resolution on the PC
before connecting it to the TV. The following signals can be
displayed:
– VGA: 640 x 480 @ 60Hz
– SVGA: 800 x 600 @ 60Hz
– XGA: 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz
– SXGA: 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz
Other formats or non-standard signals will not be displayed
correctly.

·
Registered
301 Posts
only on computer

Nope they are not supporting game systems or the recievers at this time

from Ask Jim
Movies are not transferable to a Shaw Direct receiver. At this time, our VOD licensing does not support iPhone, iPads or game systems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts