Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Armchair Tourist on channel 979

Armchair Tourist is currently on channel 979, which was previously airing the Fire Log Channel. I just noticed it in the past hour. Hopefully Shaw Direct will continue airing this service.

You can also view it online: ArmchairTourist: travel HD video | HD wallpaper video for your television and you can watch it on Hulu, Apple TV (airplay) and Chromecast. It's also on Youtube.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Armchair Tourist is currently on channel 979, which was previously airing the Fire Log Channel. I just noticed it in the past hour. Hopefully Shaw Direct will continue airing this service.

You can also view it online: ArmchairTourist: travel HD video | HD wallpaper video for your television and you can watch it on Hulu, Apple TV (airplay) and Chromecast. It's also on Youtube.
You will have to watch it online, now, because it has disappeared from the Shaw Direct line-up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The re-branded bio. is now showing in the guide as Viceland. The channel itself doesn't launch until later today, but there's a barker running.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fight Network HD has appeared on 610 (110 Classic), CP24 HD on 597 (97 Classic) and CBC Ottawa HD on 542 (all Advanced) (42 Classic). I can't tune into them yet - they just give the 'Not Subscribed' message - but they're in the guide. I think 'mark_42' noted this in another thread on February 9th so he deserves credit for the notice :)

·
Super Moderator
16,573 Posts
Here are the new channels currently listed on Shaw Direct New Channels page. There may have been some other new channels that were added that are no longer on that page.

Max HD Channels 248/388 (Classic/Advanced)
Musique Plus HD Channels 249/389 (Classic/Advanced)
Super Ecran 4 HD Channels 284/454 (Classic/Advanced)
Wild TV HD Channels 177/477 (Classic/Advanced)
CMT HD Channels 187/487 (Classic/Advanced)
DTOUR HD Channels 171/471 (Classic/Advanced)
Gusto HD Channels 162/462 (Classic/Advanced)
Teletoon HD Channels 229/399 (Classic/Advanced)
Animal Planet HD Channels 181/481 (Classic/Advanced)
BNN HD Channels 191/491 (Classic/Advanced)
Cooking Channel HD Channels 163/463 (Classic/Advanced)
Crime + Investigation HD Channels 184/484 (Classic/Advanced)
OWN HD Channels 164/464 (Classic/Advanced)
RDS Info HD Channels 263/443 (Classic/Advanced)
Travel + Escape HD Channels 172/472 (Classic/Advanced)
Yes TV HD Channels 31/531 (Classic/Advanced)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It means the signal is changed from one format to another without a conversion period (dual feed). Seeing as the conversions generally happen at 10am EST any signal being Light Switched is being flipped from MPEG2 at 9:59:59 to MPEG4 at 10:00:00 Just like you would flip a light switch on the wall.

I setup a manual recording on one of the channels light switched in the last go round. The recording on the list indicated that is was broken and you could only play it up to the conversion point. It would seem that there is a momentary interruption in signal or authorization that requires you to retune the channel.

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The following channels have converted to MPEG4
CBS HD Detroit
PBS HD Detroit
City HD Toronto
Global HD Toronto
Paramount HD

The following channels have launched but not necessarily on the Advance channel #'s that Shaw Direct indicated before. It did say subject to change.

DIY HD --- Adv Ch 475 *
Fox News HD ---- Adv Ch 496 *
Discovery Sci HD --- Adv Ch 482 +
HLN HD --- Adv Ch 494 *
MSNBC HD --- Adv Ch 493 *
Treehouse HD --- Adv Ch 457 *
FYI HD --- Adv Ch 467 *
Cottage Life HD --- Adv Ch 474 *
American Heros HD --- Adv Ch 479 +
AMI French HD --- Adv Ch 889 +

Treehouse HD is supposed to launch today but couldn't fine it.

* = launched on different channel number from original published info
+ = launched on the same channel number as published on Shaw Direct site.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Now receiving DIY 175, Fox 196, HLN 194, MSNBC 193 & Cottage Life 174, on Classic map, old, Quad LNB.

Great, four American news services, and only two Canadian channels added to F1/2 in HD. Because that's what the bigger, southern footprint needed - American news channels. lol. Who arranged this, Uncle Sam?

We do get all three OMNI's in HD, so how about CBC News, CTV News, CP24 on the F birds? Leave the 'Murican stuff on G1

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Ok so Shaw published that Treehouse was going to be on Ch 568 Advanced. That would have replaced one of their bookmark channels. "Kids HD starts here". So instead of placing it with the other Kids HD channels and dropping the bookmark they place it at 457 nowhere near the other kids channels but after the French Super Ecran channels and before some of the recent HD English lifestyle channels. Better yet it is placed before the bookmark "New HD bookmark". So rather then keeping it with the other kids channels they keep the bookmark channel which is now wrong because of the random placement of Treehouse. Do they even think about this stuff or play rock paper scissors for how to place channels.

The bookmark channels were one of the first things I hid so, for me anyways, they are useless. I suspect there will some more random channel number placements on the upcoming launches.

When they introduced the advanced lineup it showed some forward thinking and planning for future channel placements now that seems to have gone out the window.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Confirmed. I now have Treehouse HD on channel 206 in the classic line-up via Anik F2. Now if they would just move the rest of the HD kids channels to that bird....

·
Registered
554 Posts
I receive AHC (American Heroes Channel) on Classic channel 555. Funny thing; my 600 receiver picked up the new HD version on channel 179, but my 630 receiver said that I was not subscribed. I called Shaw and got a re-hit from their automated system. Blam - 630 got the channel within a few seconds, even before ending the call.

I thought it odd that my 630 got the other recently added HD channels, but not AHC.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Shaw added the following HD channels on Aug 28

Channel Adv Classic
Moi & Cie 429 244
Yoopa 391 235
Unis 415 237

I can confirm the Advanced Channel numbers were the ones used at launch. Not sure on the classic channel numbers.

These appear to have launched on the G1 bird, can anyone confirm this by their absence because of the equipment or location?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The following channels have launched today in HD on Shaw Direct
Channel numbers are the advanced channel number. Most of them different from the initial channel numbers that Shaw Direct inidicated on their website.

OUTtv HD 469
OLN HD 622
Peachtree HD 661
Game TV HD 470
Cosmo TV HD 465
BET HD 488
BBC World HD 497

In addition CNBC SD was switched to Mpeg4 so some people might lose that if they have old equipment.
Shaw Broadcast indicates that CNBC is not available in HD. Do any other BDU's have CNBC in HD.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts