Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Channel moves.

Looks like they are getting ready to add new channels. They have moved their SD PPV channels to the 900s and have moved the 3D Channel from 333 on the Advanced lineup to 433.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also got this email about Peachtree moving and 200 channels being added:

Peachtree is moving.

On April 15, our third satellite was officially launched into space. Later this spring, over 200 HD channels will be available.

Due to additional channel offerings, our current Classic channel lineup has been updated. As of May 7, Peachtree will move to channel 655 from channel 650.

For more information, please call 1-888-554-7827

·
Registered
828 Posts
or better yet discontinue the so called advanced lineup and just have the classic lineup. My reason for arguing this is that we are the people who have been with Shaw and Star Choice for well over a decade; the "advanced" channel lineup people have only been with the company for 2 or 3 years. The reason for introducing the second number lineup was asinine...."they didn't want to confuse former cable customer with very high numbers"...or something like that... LOL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Only Shaw would create a dog's breakfast like the 2 different channel lineup's. My grandparents are just getting used of the Classic line up after 10 years. If Shaw decides to now standardize the lineup it will create chaos for many viewers.

NovaMan: Rest assured that Shaw will make the decision which creates the greatest amount of inconvenience to its customers. LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
or better yet discontinue the so called advanced lineup and just have the classic lineup. My reason for arguing this is that we are the people who have been with Shaw and Star Choice for well over a decade; the "advanced" channel lineup people have only been with the company for 2 or 3 years. The reason for introducing the second number lineup was asinine...."they didn't want to confuse former cable customer with very high numbers"...or something like that... LOL
BDUs change their channels all the time. They were doing you and other customers a favour by letting you keep the old format.

Shaw could just as easily force you all to switch to the Advanced lineup. Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
They needed a new layout to do two things as I see.

First, to rearrange locals by city, instead of by network.

Second, to make adding a large number of channels easier. The classic lineup is full of holes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't understand all the fuss over the "Classic" versus "Advanced" line-ups.

On my 630, I have groups of Favourites (for example: Networks, HDTV, Variety, etc.) and look through these much more manageable lists rather than memorize channel numbers. Generally speaking, 90% of everything I watch is on an HDTV channel anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, ditch the standard-def channels and free up some much needed bandwidth.

My $ 0.02.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
See my previous post.

A good deal of subscribers still are SD, or rely on those SD channels.
Shaw Direct will need to switch all those receivers to 600 models before they can shut off SD.

The new satellite will be available soon, so they can start with that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't think they'l ever shut down standard def TV there are to many people that don't have HD....some of us are HD starved but some people don't care about it.....I have a very good friend that is like that............I think he's nuts...LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
A standard def TV can still use a 600-series receiver and display HD channels, it just ends up being displayed at the TV's lower resolution. Shaw could save a lot of transponder bandwidth by eliminating the SD channels and replacing them with just HD, but they'd need to ensure everyone who has an older receiver gets a new one. That would be expensive and time consuming.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Shawdiect people are saying May 29 is slated as the official date to launch the NEW CHANNELS. If anything changes they will let us know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They said not all contracts are done for the channels......but if we are getting HD channels that we already have in SD......should be no reason why they can't give us those listings.

·
Super Moderator
16,427 Posts
Older contracts have to be renegotiated - they didn't include automatic HD rights for SD channels. That's a fairly new provision.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For what it's worth, a few weeks back I was told by a retention CSR that after the long weekend customer's will be receiving a mailer discussing the new channels, etc. we will see if this happens.

81 - 100 of 614 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.