Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you all for the information. Looks like HAFH is changing, and that may be my problem. Another call to SD in the morning should clear it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not sure yet how they are going to stop it unless there is some way they can change the foot print , I am doing some research to see if there is away around it.
Wayne

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wednesday SD launched the new channels. After reading all the posts here about those who called in were told they needed to pay $50 for the LNB upgrade I figured i'd just wait until Sept. when I sub to NHL CI again, and get them to install it for free. Then i figured i'd just give it a try. So I called Thursday morning. Convo went like this:
Me: Heard SD launched a bunch of new channels. I'm not seeing anything.
CSR: Yes we did. Let me check...OK you have all 6xx receviers so that's good. I see you need to change out the head on the dish. It should be free, let me check...yes it's free. The earliest I can have an installer come out is on Saturday 9-12 (in 2 days). Is that OK?
Me: Yep. Book it! Thanks.
Installer came yesterday (Saturday). Setup took about 20mins altogether. He was Dr. Dish from Alberta, had an Alberta phone number, but I'm in Ontario. Thought SD screwed up, but nope, he's out in Ontario. Side note: Such a genuinely nice person.

New channels: WOW HD locals! I'm on OVP so I get all the time-shifting channels. The advanced lineup is now a compete mess though. Before the upgrade I saw nothing at all to indicate new sat/channels. I assume this is why the channels were added as they were as they are not going to force upgrades on people so they'd rather just have people who don't have the upgrade not notice the difference. Standard def locals were added in really odd spots as well. I'm getting some channels that I'm not subbed to as well, but only the HD equivalents. The upgrade definitely isn't worth $50 since most channels are just locals unless you really want them.
Nice to see 15 NHL CI HD channels now. All games should now be broadcast in HD (hopefully).
Disappointed that Peachtree HD and Omni channels weren't added.
Triple LNB is smaller than the older one.
SD really needs to fix the advanced lineup. Annoying to got through the guide now. But i'm not complaining for a free upgrade.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Marshmellow ....In an article yesterday in Mediacaster, Peter Bissonette was quoted as saying "Shaw Direct customers won't miss a thing" (with G1 in service). If its almost full, I could wonder how Shaw will add the other HD channels (carried by the other television providers) not added yesterday, as well as new ones to come in the next couple years.
Bissonettee is such a spin doctor that I'm actually surprised that Harper didn't name him to the Senate years ago.

10 years ago, he supported Telesat's application for ku service at 118 saying that the bandwidth was required for future services. For their support, Shaw was given at option to buy 8 F3 transponders which would be used to move the services on the 8 F2 transponders used by non Shaw services. These services would be moved to F3 this giving Shaw all 32 F2 ku transponders. F3 gets launched in 2006 and what does Shaw do .. zippo. All 32 F3 ku transponders are sold to Charlie Ergan.

Move ahead 3 years .. Shaw is crying to Industry Canada that they are out of space and Extended Ku service is required at 107 and 111 to make up for the F3 Ku bandwidth they turned down 2005 - 2006. Terrestrial band users were forced to eat the costs of relocating services. Industry Canada gives Telesat up to Jan 1, 2014 to get G1 and G2 operational. Telesat goes ahead and gets all the required approvals and filings done .. and then what does Shaw do ... yes you got that right .. they pass on Extended Ku at 111.1

Shaw ... not to be believed about anything regarding satellite.

You see some posters on this forum towing the company line about MPEG4 on F1R/F2. The company line is that cable head ends are setup for MPEG2.

Here are the facts:
1) Every cable head ends require a commercial IRD for every channel they receive - both HD and SD.

2) For the past 3.5 years, all Motorola (now Arris) Commercial satellite IRD's sold have been HD MPEG4 capable.

Therefore, all Shaw HD + SD channels added in the last 3.5 years on F1R/F2 could be converted to MPEG4 with NO CAPITAL COST to any cable head end. The only cost would be to Shaw to deploy new MPEG4 encoders.

·
Registered
122 Posts
First of all great to see the additional channels Shaw Direct introduced this week, was quite surprise of the amount of HD local channels added. Did a quick comparison with the "Other" Satellite company here is what SD is missing that Bell has. (please make correction if I missed any).
Animal HD
BNN HD
Bold HD
CN (cartoon network)
CBC Newsworld HD
CBS Sports HD
Own HD
ID HD
CTV News Channel HD
CTV Two HD (any of the feeds)
Doc HD
E HD
GSN HD
HLN HD
KTLA HD
Peachtree HD
WPix HD
WSBK HD

In fairness, Shaw Direct has the following channels that Bell does not
Slice HD
NTV HD
Lifetime HD
H2 HD
Junior HD

Will Shaw Direct add a few more channels this summer, wonder if they are still negotiating for channels? I like others is hoping for NFL Network HD.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
And Rogers Cable has even more!
The Weather Network HD
OLN HD
OUTtv HD
CTS HD
Sun News HD
Travel+Escape HD
Fight Network HD
Spike HD
OMNI 1 & 2 HD
City News Channel HD (but it has been discontinued) just traffic cams and 680News playing in the background.
...and probably more HD channels.

So I think SD has a long way before they become the leader in HD.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gary - do u have digital indulgence or dig indulgence lite? If so, are u getting abcspark hd? I still am getting a "not subscribed" when i tune to that channel even though i have it in sd

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have DI and ABC Sparks HD is not coming in for me and the same with Disney JR HD. Getting the "not currently subscribed" notice. I am getting a preview of the French version of Disney JR HD though. Strange.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We also are not receiving ABC Spark HD, but suppose to be (have it in Standard). Was on the phone with Shaw D for almost 45 minutes Friday, they cannot figure out what is wrong. We have DI (digial values) package , the tech CSR appreciated us calling in as they hope to have the problem solved soon. The tech said it was weird as all channels show up on our list but Spark HD.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Shaw direct made the first HD channels available if you had the SD equivalents. Then they created the Sports HD and the HD Extra packages which you had to pay extra to get the HD channels even though in many cases you had the Std Def equivalents.

Someone mentioned a HD Extra 2 package that Shaw D is now creating SO, how do you know that you are supposed to be receiving all of these new HD channels just because you have the SD equivalents? They are bound to want some extra income from some of these HD channels aren't they?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Its clearly an issue with the digital indulgence package then. We should be getting the hd version of spark since the sd version is part of our package. Disney Jr is not part of our package so that makes sense we cant get in hd

As i previously posted, the shaw direct twitter said they are having some issues with this.

Again, natgeo wild hd and h2hd DO come in but are grey in guide. Weird.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well it has been a couple of days with the new HD channels and they look really good in HD,but the programming is all the same of coarse,just the time shift advantage which you don't really need with a PVR.
There really is not much in the way of new programming I thought,
I do hope they will add something of interest later.
Still only one PBS HD channel from poor old Detriot with is sub par programming and even worst Marco blocking picture quality.
I don't understand why We cannot subscribe to all the PBS channels?
In this day and age I think the CRTC could lighten up a bit on the Canadian content rules.I mean I have done my duty and watched every episode of The Beachcombers:p

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have DI Lite package + HDExtra + Movies. I receive ABC Spark HD. (Ontario). I also receive H2 HD but the Guide shows it grayed (not subscribed). This might be a preview only, not sure.

281 - 300 of 614 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.