Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1921 - 1940 of 1941 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Gzink what happened when you called SD?

Dr. Dave I don't think the SD number is toll free.

TVmaster can you really turn off the phone number on an iphone?

BTW I did two refreshes and our channels came back. Lots of ppl were having the same problem. So I didn't have to call SD, whew.
A couple of answers:

1- The 888 toll free number works from the US

2- *67 works on iPhone. Simply dial *67 and the number with area code all together.

3- To hide the iPhone number automatically without dialing *67, go to Settings > Phone > Show my caller ID and toggle on or off at will

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm presently using Shaw Direct in Southern California and in Southern Nevada. My home in Big Bear Lake, CA is at 6,900 feet elevation (2,100 metres). I started-out with a Star Choice receiver and the original 60cm Two-LNB dish. I got the e-mails telling me I needed to upgrade, but I never did as I know I stand no chance of ever seeing the Third Satellite. The 60cm dish this far south works well unless it rains, then it becomes sketchy... but honestly, that's so rare I don't care.

In Nevada (another elevated house at 6,300') I bought a 75cm dish with the newer LNB that sees all Three satellites (it only sees 2 given my distance south of the border) and I get about 10% more signal than in Big Bear Lake. It holds-up better with weather than the Big Bear 60cm, Star Choice 2-satellite LNB dish. So overall (for now at least as-of September 2020) All is good, the channel maps on both receivers with different LNBs are the same as-far as I can tell and I'm quite pleased!

The CA set-up is about to be moved to Utah where I'll be moving. California has just gone MAD! My house there is at 3,500 feet appx. so I'm hoping my 60cm dish will see through that additional atmosphere I'm not cursed with at 6,900' in California! Stay-Tuned!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Moto for that info.

I hope to be in Phoenix again one day this coming winter (or whenever that occurs) and was wondering if I should switch out my 60 dish for a 75 dish in the hope of pulling in a stronger signal on F2. I understood how latitude would affect things but did not know the extent that elevation would play. . Given your post I may try it. If anyone else can provide some feedback, it will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

I hope to be in Phoenix again one day this coming winter (or whenever that occurs) and was wondering if I should switch out my 60 dish for a 75 dish in the hope of pulling in a stronger signal on F2. I understood how latitude would affect things but did not know the extent that elevation would play. . Given your post I may try it. If anyone else can provide some feedback, it will be appreciated. Thank you.
Even for the CDN north, 75cm is recommended. So if it isn’t a problem, you’ll have better luck in rainstorms at least. In Arizona. lol

·
Registered
443 Posts

I have 75 dish in Mesa and I don't have any signal loss. I do loose a lot of programming due to my home location of Calgary.

·
Registered
42 Posts
75cm dish in SoCal with latest LNBs (@ approx sea level). Rare signal loss due to storms of one sort or another. Normally hovering around 80-83% signal strength. This tech is outside my comfort area so whenever I need a major change (like, moving) I get a "repair" guy from Palm Springs area because they are familiar with the objectives. Still on the 630 receiver and even have my older model in a box someplace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you to all, it looks like it is worth it to make the change. With the 60e, it was sketchy with any weather change or maybe I didn't have it pointed perfectly.

Can someone point me to where I may find what is currently on F1 and F2 or provide a link. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It was a good couple of days reception-wise at my location. It appears that G1's foot print boundary for some reason drifted south past the PA/MD state line well into Northern Virginia. I was pulling in 65%- 67% signal strength on G1's transponders for some reason almost like the days of Anik F1.

Come on Shaw, Can we leave it like that, say forever?

·
Registered
35 Posts
To further on venture2000's post, yesterday I lowered the height of my 2.6 m dish, which always has had 24/7 G1 coverage in central Colorado. This was only to reduce shading of our solar arrays, but required a new realignment. Afterwards I've been tracking EcbN0 (signal quality) on a couple of G1 transponders and was surprised by its relatively small variation ever since. This translates to a significantly higher average signal quality than I've seen over the years.

I've been wondering about this ever since. Before it appeared G1's output was being adjusted to limit it's footprint into the southern provinces, per agreement with the FCC, to prevent interference to US terrestrial interests. It could be that simply by lowering my dish height, I've merely better shadowed local terrestrial interference, because the dish peeks over my roofline. However I'm unconvinced that fully explains what I'm seeing. It's possible G1's orbital 'box' is currently fairly small or perhaps they now have permission to alter its footprint either by changes to pointing or power output. Something is different.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
To further on venture2000's post, yesterday I lowered the height of my 2.6 m dish, which always has had 24/7 G1 coverage in central Colorado. This was only to reduce shading of our solar arrays, but required a new realignment. Afterwards I've been tracking EcbN0 (signal quality) on a couple of G1 transponders and was surprised by its relatively small variation ever since. This translates to a significantly higher average signal quality than I've seen over the years.

I've been wondering about this ever since. Before it appeared G1's output was being adjusted to limit it's footprint into the southern provinces, per agreement with the FCC, to prevent interference to US terrestrial interests. It could be that simply by lowering my dish height, I've merely better shadowed local terrestrial interference, because the dish peeks over my roofline. However I'm unconvinced that fully explains what I'm seeing. It's possible G1's orbital 'box' is currently fairly small or perhaps they now have permission to alter its footprint either by changes to pointing or power output. Something is different.
shhhhhhh. lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Short of me creating a new PDF with only the F2 channels, this is your best resource
So do we know what Shaw's plans are for the F2 satellite? [a year from now? two years from now?] Because if they shut it down, it is game over for us here in the states.

As a back up, I had a slave receiver located at a relative's house [within the G1 satellite's footprint] and was accessing that via a slingbox. But I found out that that fabulous device is being shutdown and bricked in 2022 abandoning all their customers. I have been one of theirs for twelve years.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Seeing as Telesat has not announced any new launches related to the Anik series I suspect they will have to move an exisitng satellite into replace or colocate. From what I can see from their press releases they are focused on the LEO (Low Earth Orbit) satellites at the moment. I would think replace as the are only using a few transponders on F2. Pure speculation here but seeing as most satellites in service now would probably have a pan North American pattern and not one that mimics the G1 pattern ( Canada only) then the replacement would probably have a similar pattern to F2.

And something will have to used to replace the transponders that F2 is using as G1 is nearly full and would not be able to carry all the signals on F2.

Shaw Broadcast has yet to announce the final C Band plan for F1R although if as it seems F2 is acting up on some transponders then I would expect a plan to be announced in the spring. Again speculation on my part.

1921 - 1940 of 1941 Posts