Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1901 - 1920 of 1941 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
That footprint map is misleading (It duped me into becoming a customer); I believe G1's footprint ends at the Maryland/Pennsylvania state line. I am in Northern Virginia and I can only receive that satellite on a 'good' day. At this point I am just waiting for Shaw to decommission Anik F2 and then I am done.
Thanks. That’s unfortunate news. I wonder if you lose those degrees right across the full latitude line. It appears all of Oregon is safe, but now I wonder...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
To be fair it does show a very much weaker signal in your area.

Click on link (below quote from the site)
quote:.................
A glance at the bottom map above will show you the coverage of Anik G1, but its contours are only shown down to a +48 dBw. What this means is that if you are more than about 50 miles beyond the +48 contour, it will become increasingly difficult to receive Anik G1 on a stock Shaw Direct 75E antenna system with Xtended Quad Ku LNBF. Signals drop off rapidly, but there is a region of perhaps 300 to 400 miles past this contour where it is still possible to use a larger antenna to get both satellites on 107, the size determined by how large it needs to be to get Anik F1R. You could then install a separate 75 to 90 cm dish to receive Anik F2 from the 111 satellite position, and join signals with an electronic switch. Or you could finalize the setting for Anik G1 and F1R with a very unique LNBF that we sell specifically for these two satellites on 107 West, and then improvise an adapter bracket to install a conventional 10750 MHz local oscillator type LNBF for Anik F2 at 111 West, using the same large dish. UNQUOTE

·
Registered
45 Posts
To be fair it does show a very much weaker signal in your area.

You could then install a separate 75 to 90 cm dish to receive Anik F2 from the 111 satellite position, and join signals with an electronic switch. Or you could finalize the setting for Anik G1 and F1R with a very unique LNBF that we sell specifically for these two satellites on 107 West, and then improvise an adapter bracket to install a conventional 10750 MHz local oscillator type LNBF for Anik F2 at 111 West, using the same large dish.
Do you have any pictures of the equipment you mentioned? [electronic switch, 10750 MHz local oscillator type LNBF, 90 cm dish etc.]

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Sorry, I quoted from the link on a US site. Did not mean to mislead anyone. Click on the red font.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That website is run by Mike Kohl. I think he is semi-retired, but I believe he had a database of people outside the footprint who had success with larger dishes. If memory serves correctly, people had success getting G1 in Colorado and Tennessee

·
Registered
45 Posts
Update:

Today was a 'good' day. Partly cloudy, 88 degrees. I am 12 miles from the Maryland/Virginia state line and I was able to pull in between 63->65 signal strength on G1 transponder 9. Which is not always the case; if it rains forget about it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Update:

Today was a 'good' day. Partly cloudy, 88 degrees. I am 12 miles from the Maryland/Virginia state line and I was able to pull in between 63->65 signal strength on G1 transponder 9. Which is not always the case; if it rains forget about it.
Curious as to what dish you are using? I believe that people had success at your lattitude with a 90 cm FTA dish with an xKu LNB.

·
Registered
532 Posts
KU Sat in Montreal used to sell a hybrid xKu/Ku LNBF that worked with FTA dishes. I don't see that on their website anymore, but it might be worth giving them a call to see if they still sell them.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
KU Sat in Montreal used to sell a hybrid xKu/Ku LNBF that worked with FTA dishes. I don't see that on their website anymore, but it might be worth giving them a call to see if they still sell them.
I believe the pressure put on them by either Bell or Shaw has taken them out of supplying / supporting the way they used to

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I might have to contact Shaw to fix a rcvr problem. Okay to call from a US phone? If I use chat they would see where I am too. Called a few yrs ago and it was okay but is it still?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It’s always best to use a VPN service that shows IP addresses originating from within Canada. SurfEasy is a good one. Few bucks a month. As far as phones, I can’t recommend, other than to turn off your call-display setting so the person receiving doesn’t see a phone number.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Or use a voip service where you can change the call display. I recommend not to use the phone otherwise. I was unlucky once when I did it without thinking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use the phone every few years to change my CC number on file with them. They don't take Amex on the web page, but they will if you call them. Never any issues. Knock wood.

·
Super Moderator
17,491 Posts
As far as phones, I can’t recommend, other than to turn off your call-display setting so the person receiving doesn’t see a phone number.
If you call a toll-free number, you can't block caller-id, since the called party is paying the long-distance bill.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
True, mostly. You can also three-way call from someone IN the area code. But with cell phones from all over, VOIP area-code client selection, I’m thinking a CDN area code wouldn’t matter much anyway. Anyone like to chime in on personal experience?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Gzink what happened when you called SD?

Dr. Dave I don't think the SD number is toll free.

TVmaster can you really turn off the phone number on an iphone?

BTW I did two refreshes and our channels came back. Lots of ppl were having the same problem. So I didn't have to call SD, whew.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Gzink what happened when you called SD?

Dr. Dave I don't think the SD number is toll free.

TVmaster can you really turn off the phone number on an iphone?

BTW I did two refreshes and our channels came back. Lots of ppl were having the same problem. So I didn't have to call SD, whew.
Not sure about an iPhone. I have a Vonage account as a land line, and it can be turned off. But as far as that toll - free thing? What you could do is pick some other, random Toronto company which has a toll-free number, like Yamaha Canada, Ford Canada, etc., and ask them if they can see your number. But your fine for now, so that’s good. You could always call Shaw and say you’re on vacation and your pet sitter is having a problem and you’re sorting it for them. If they mentioned the exchange, you’d know.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
bayguy, it was just a snarky response and a don't bother calling again, service experience. I was concerned that would be it and caused me some worry, but I guess it wasn't recorded on my file because things were ok with service back home.

1901 - 1920 of 1941 Posts