Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1881 - 1898 of 1898 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It was time for Calgary/Alberta to become the centre of the universe for something. Finally!
The writing was on the wall quite a while ago. All this was published was it not? I believe even the French Canadians are generally lacking channels even though a fair number winter in Florida.
BTW the Okanagan has a fair sized population and it is being moved also.
Yuk yuk. Well, the ‘universe’ seems to be Calgary and Toronto. But yeah, it’s very unbalanced as to what is seen across the country. More French language channels are available than are east coast, north, prairies combined. It was published three months ago, but I don’t see any of the ‘dual-feeds’ mentioned back then, which were to remain until October?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dual feeds are in place for Shaw Broadcast only, they aren't really necessary for Shaw Direct customers.

The primary local network feeds are from Vancouver and Toronto for F2 (but attempted to have each available from three time zones). The balancing of services on each satellite comes with several considerations, including offering 91(h) channels (for Shaw Broadcast customers), potential contracts in place, and the Shaw Direct customer base.

APTN W is still available on F2 - the Northern feeds (APTN, CBC) were moved to G1 as it actually has much stronger signals in the Territories.

·
Registered
221 Posts
@tvmaster

Not sure where you see more French channels available with the new migration. There are actually a lot less. The only feed for the major French networks is the one from Montreal: CBC-French, TVA and V: no secondary markets at all. Even the Saint-Pierre and Miquelon French channel is gone. Missing as well are 2 MAJOR ones: TV5 and Télé Québec. There are no Montreal feeds for CBC-English or CTV but there is a Global one. On the English side, CBC has a Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver feed. CTV has a Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver feed. Global has BC, Halifax and Toronto.

I understand it's difficult to split the "Universe", but.....a little fine tuning should be possible, no?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
APTN W is still available on F2 - the Northern feeds (APTN, CBC) were moved to G1 as it actually has much stronger signals in the Territories.
K8 I don't think APTN W is on F2 we get a "receiver has lost satellite signal" msg. I think it's on G1. This is on ch. 264.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
K8 I don't think APTN W is on F2 we get a "receiver has lost satellite signal" msg. I think it's on G1. This is on ch. 264.
I think he’s confusing APTN with Omni W. There are no APTN feeds left, just as there are no CTV2 feeds left. And that means no more ‘Mighty Trains’, and that sucks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
@tvmaster

Not sure where you see more French channels available with the new migration. There are actually a lot less. The only feed for the major French networks is the one from Montreal: CBC-French, TVA and V: no secondary markets at all. Even the Saint-Pierre and Miquelon French channel is gone. Missing as well are 2 MAJOR ones: TV5 and Télé Québec. There are no Montreal feeds for CBC-English or CTV but there is a Global one. On the English side, CBC has a Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver feed. CTV has a Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver feed. Global has BC, Halifax and Toronto.

I understand it's difficult to split the "Universe", but.....a little fine tuning should be possible, no?
It would be at least useful to have each network from each time zone, if available. So CTV, CTV2, CityTV, CBC and Global, x five time zones. Additionally, outcast networks like APTN & NTV as well. All on F. In the case of Montreal/Toronto/, I think you’d have to offer a full complement of both, as Montreal is a cultural anomoly. I guess the writing’s on the wall for CDN’s on tour though...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry, I saw it on F2 on my channel charts - turns out it's on both satellites, but whatever map you're on is pointing to the G1 version. I've asked for it to be re-pointed to F2 on all maps, when the team has some spare time. :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sorry, I saw it on F2 on my channel charts - turns out it's on both satellites, but whatever map you're on is pointing to the G1 version. I've asked for it to be re-pointed to F2 on all maps, when the team has some spare time. :)
I’m confused about ‘maps’: aren’t there just two maps; one for the old LNB, and one for the new LNB?

·
Registered
221 Posts
@k801809

While you're at it, any chance these channels could be re-pointed to F2? (In spare time of course!)

883 SRC1M ICI Radio Canada One French
884 SRC2M ICI Musique Radio Canada French
727 ICI Radio Canada Acadie
733 ICI Radio Canada Vancouver
737 TV5
735 Télé Québec
122 CBC Montreal
123 CTV Montreal

Thank you!

·
Registered
203 Posts
@k801809

While you're at it, any chance these channels could be re-pointed to F2? (In spare time of course!)

883 SRC1M ICI Radio Canada One French
884 SRC2M ICI Musique Radio Canada French
727 ICI Radio Canada Acadie
733 ICI Radio Canada Vancouver
737 TV5
735 Télé Québec
122 CBC Montreal
123 CTV Montreal

Thank you!
Sorry, it doesn't quite work that way - those are not available on F2, so it is not possible. They would require basically an additional transponder and would have to be fully moved off G1 (with no space on F2 available). APTN W is an SD channel, taking up a fraction of the space an HD channel would, and it was duplicated on G1 specifically for Northern communities (as I mentioned earlier, G1 is stronger there).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sorry, it doesn't quite work that way - those are not available on F2, so it is not possible. They would require basically an additional transponder and would have to be fully moved off G1 (with no space on F2 available). APTN W is an SD channel, taking up a fraction of the space an HD channel would, and it was duplicated on G1 specifically for Northern communities (as I mentioned earlier, G1 is stronger there).
Any chance there were some CTV2 channels still left over in SD that could be duplicated like APTN west, or CBC from an east coast time zone and mountain time zone (Alberta)? Just seems odd the NATIONAL broadcaster was partially removed from the F birds.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
@tvmaster don't forget that the traffic planning on the birds is largely under Shaw Broadcast's control. Being that there is common ownership there may be some coordination. Moving the signals between satellites is insignificant to Shaw Direct customers because they can remap or plan the remapping in advance. For the commercial side and BDU's there is often more involved possibly even site visits to adjust equipment. Shaw Direct customers and especially those that are perhaps not in a preferred geographic location are not their primary concern.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I just thought it would have been possible to take some other duplicate channels that are on F2 and replace them with the channels I listed that are on G1. Can you tell I'm not a satellite expert? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
@tvmaster don't forget that the traffic planning on the birds is largely under Shaw Broadcast's control. Being that there is common ownership there may be some coordination. Moving the signals between satellites is insignificant to Shaw Direct customers because they can remap or plan the remapping in advance. For the commercial side and BDU's there is often more involved possibly even site visits to adjust equipment. Shaw Direct customers and especially those that are perhaps not in a preferred geographic location are not their primary concern.
thanks, totally aware of all that, was just throwing up a hail-mary :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Thank you, K8, APTN is back! We don't have any thing like this in the US so we just find it interesting to watch sometimes.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Shaw Direct customers and especially those that are perhaps not in a preferred geographic location are not their primary concern.
That is a very polite way of saying it. :) We really appreciate that K8 tries to take care of us in the "not in a preferred geographic location" as much as she can.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We really appreciate that K8 tries to take care of us in the "not in a preferred geographic location" as much as she can.
I'll second that. In fact, a thank you to all at Shaw for being patient with those of us "not in a preferred location."

Sorry to have lost TVA Rimouski on July 14, but, <sigh>........

1881 - 1898 of 1898 Posts