Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1841 - 1860 of 1877 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Yeah. I initially thought Toronto (3 hours). Then realized it had to be rural ontario.
Do a move to Blind Bay, BC or Cold Lake and pay your bills electronically. "self move"

·
Registered
43 Posts
This might help some with G1

I found this about ANIK G1 and wanted to share my experience. I am on the VA / NC border. I could not get any G1 channels with the 75e from Shaw, I tried a 4 foot, no go, I tried a 6 foot, but it would only get one transponder , number 16. So then I installed an 8 foot offset Prodelin in order to receive G1.

I was shocked at how the signal can differ from hour to hour with the G1 transponders.

I have gone through several situations with trying three different F1X, two different 60e and one 75e LNB’s.

I found out that using the 4x8 powered switch made the signal quality a little better. I just used an old DirecTv switch.

So, this is the end result. The new style F1X, with the long neck, works when using a conical scalar connected to the very end. Also, adding the 111 LNB on the same dish caused interference for the G1 signal. I accidentally discovered that when the 13v side was disconnected, that the signal was a little better on the horizontal transponders.

So, since I the most channels that I wanted were on even transponders, I decided to leave it that way. I connected the 75e dish for the vertical transponders from 107 (missing all G1) and the 111.

My end result for the beset performance: F1x with a conical scalar on the very end on an 8 foot offset with one cable going to multiswitch, the 18v volt side. Three cables going to a 75e dish with the triple sat Shaw 75e LNB. Again, I do not get any odd G1 transponders this way, but I get transponders 13 and 14 almost all the time and 16 all the time.

I wish there were a better LNB that I could use so that I could get both horizontal and vertical without the 2 interfering with each other! From time to time, I used to get transponders 5 and 8, but this was with a F1X that went bad after around a year.

I wish that we could use one of the setup listed here

https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Documents/bulletins/2012_06_13_LNB.pdf

But, it looks like only the way to go for the setup with a residential receiver would be the $1500 option that might or might not work. I know that many say that those LNBs cannot be used with a residential receiver, but if you read the following information, I think that I might indeed be possible.

https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Documents/bulletins/2017_11_23_MPEG-4_Equipment_Update_EN.pdf

I wish there were a way to combine the 4508c with another LNB via diplexer in order to use the 4508c. If I knew more about making notch filters, I would make one that would pass the G1 signal only, and one that would pass the F1 signals only, and then combine the two.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Wow MichaelB you must of really wanted those channels! Or maybe you just like to see what a sat dish can do! Anyway that's great that you got some G1 channels. Maybe some other ppl are on the edge and can do what you did.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Help needed to correct a major mistake

I had been having problems with my HDPVR 630 remote. I found some information on line, but I mis-read the information. I thought it said "how to refresh a 630 remote" but it actually said "how to refresh a 630 receiver". I used a suggested code, but it caused the receiver to lose signal. I had a chat with an SD agent who suggested unplugging everything and then replugging, but nothing happened. The cpac (channel 252) appeared for a short time, but when I tried to change it up or down- I got a "no data" message. Something strange - I can access my PVR list, but the time and date at the top of the screen is about 12 to 15 hours ahead. This happened on Friday afternoon and the time and date was listed as Saturday morning.
I am lost without my link to Canadian news and sports.
If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, please let me know, with easy to follow information, please.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Your receiver probably needs a refresh so that it gets the correct channel maps. You could try it online or call back for an automated refresh. if you leave it on 252 it may resolve itself overnight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPDATE: I phoned Shaw Direct on Saturday afternoon and after a few minutes on hold I was connected to an agent. In less than 30 minutes he was able to patiently walk me through several steps which eventually brought my receiver back to 'normal'. One problem solved, I guess I will have to learn to deal with my wonky remote. By the way, if anyone in the Tampa - Orlando area has an HDPVR 630 remote in good working condition that they no longer need, please let me know.

·
Registered
554 Posts
When physical buttons, knobs, and visual on-box displays on consumer electronics are now longer produced in favor of on-screen menus we must depend totally on the remote control device. A wonky remote control can lead to a lot of frustration. I have a mis-firing AVR that is like that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When my remotes act up, I

1) pull the two screws under the battery cover
2) pry open the remote starting at the bottom
3) wash the back of the button silicone with Dawn and make sure it's dry
4) clean the contacts on the silicone and circuit board with rubbing alcohol and q-tips
5) reassemble and install fresh batteries

There may be better ways to do it but this method has worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
We have lost all our Global channels! Did they all move to G1? Except the TV doesn't say "lost signal." Also it doesn't say "not subscribed." It doesn't say anything! Just a black screen. I tried several different Global channels.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry to interrupt but i can't find New Posts. I'm missing a whole bunch of channels right now (105,131,175,212, etc) What's going on?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mellaby those are Global chans that we were missing too! But I just looked again and they're back. Still dunno what happened. Check again are yours back? If not maybe you lost them when we got them back. :) (Sorry not funny to you!)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
They ALL came back about 8:55pm, EST. I’m thinking a problem with either transponders, or Global’s national headend. CBS East was off as well, but I think a Global Sub was in place at the time.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
TVmaster I looked at a xpdr list and they were on different ones and also we were still getting other chans on the same xpdrs, like Global TO and the Detroit stations. So I don't think it was that. Glad to hear you got them back okay.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hmm. I thought I checked every single Global feed, which is why I figured Global itself had a problem, but you found one, working Global feed? Interesting no one else seems to have noticed....Shaw?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Oh sorry no we weren't getting Global TO I meant we were getting other chans on the same xpdr as Global TO. We didn't get any Global stations for a few hours. I was surprised I was the first one to say anything b'cuz we're in the West and I thought ppl in the East would be watching TV by then and they would say something, it was still afternoon here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
In looking through my outages, there was a fibre cut in Calgary that impacted 97 channels (between Cable and Direct) from 15:20 - 17:00 MT. I'd imagine that was the issue. Poor technicians were splicing cables in -40!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks, that is indeed what it appeared to be - as the block of channels was exclusively Global, although your times are off. The entire block returned at 19:00 mountain.

1841 - 1860 of 1877 Posts