Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 1875 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the mostest south western "province". I have to call them every time by CC gets hacked. I use Amex and they don't let you enter that payment method online. At least not up until the last time the Amex card was replaced.

·
Registered
552 Posts
AMEX security

I have to call them (Amex) every time by CC gets hacked. I use Amex and they (Shaw Direct) don't let you enter that payment method online. At least not up until the last time the Amex card was replaced.
It sounds like AMEX is a credit card company that has poor database security. :frown

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't remember which phone I used, but probably my cell down here.

Yes Amex could be better at security. But I've had my bank card hacked too. Maybe it's me. ;-)

You can change online, but the last few times I needed to do it there was not an Amex option online so I had to call them. I have a mailing address in Canada at a friends house (just for the dish, I don't get any mail there), so maybe that helps. The card is registered down here to my home.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Auto Debit vs AMEX

grantb5, I generally do not like automatic debit on my bank account, but that might be the easiest thing for you to do. You just have to find out your banking routing number by asking your bank. Using debit, you might even save a foreign currency transaction surcharge by AMEX if you use automatic debit.

BTW, For my internet purchases, I've found that my credit card company requires my card number match the address used to send me their bills – not the hotel address to which the purchase is to be sent.

It appears that you have had no trouble in that regard with AMEX and Shaw

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't remember which phone I used, but probably my cell down here.

Yes Amex could be better at security. But I've had my bank card hacked too. Maybe it's me. ;-)

You can change online, but the last few times I needed to do it there was not an Amex option online so I had to call them. I have a mailing address in Canada at a friends house (just for the dish, I don't get any mail there), so maybe that helps. The card is registered down here to my home.
if your card is registered to a u.s. address, that didn't bother them? Did they ask for the address to be confirmed on the phone?

·
Registered
40 Posts
if your card is registered to a u.s. address, that didn't bother them? Did they ask for the address to be confirmed on the phone?
They never asked anything other than the card # and exp. I don't think they even asked for the CVS number or whatever it is. Obviously this was billing people not tech people.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I gave up after 3 tries. My Cap One card stopped working after they replaced it. Shaw account showed a balance due. I call, they delete the existing payment info and re-enter it. Payment goes through-once. Next month shows balance due again. Repeat twice more. It succeeds once when they put it through manually, and fails again the next auto billing cycle. They did record the CVV each time, never said anything to me about why it might be failing. I wound up cancelling the account. Shaw is apparently following the lead of the streaming providers who are suddenly blocking foreign payments and VPNs after looking the other way for years. Direct debiting of a USD bank account will almost surely fail.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Snowbird US Credit Cards/direct debit

I am puzzled why your Shaw Direct account is in good standing when you pay "manually", but SD does not automatically monthly charge your credit card. Could it be that you never requested SD to automatically charge your card. Have you asked them why this is going on?

We don't know if direct debit would work since you didn't try it. It would be nice to hear from other snowbirds that pay with US credit cards or by direct debit.

It succeeds once when they put it through manually, and fails again the next auto billing cycle ...

I wound up cancelling the account. ...

Direct debiting of a USD bank account will almost surely fail.

·
Registered
520 Posts
dlongone: are you sure it's not an issue with your credit card? maybe capital one is denying payment because it's deemed a suspicious charge?

Anyway, I've never had problems updating my credit card that has a US billing address. I've done it three times in seven years as a customer. They've never asked for the address, just the name of the card holder, the card number, expiry, and 3 digit code on the back.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What's In Your Wallet?

The problem is moot for dlonggone now that he has cancelled his Shaw Direct account. Like frenchophile, I think that problem is with Capital One credit card. It would be interesting to see if a card from another credit card company would solve the problem.

When I go on vacation, I call VISA and tell them where I am going and to accept what would be unusual charges. Maybe a similar notification to Capital One or a new card company would do the trick about Shaw Direct automatic monthly charges ???

I gave up after 3 tries. My Cap One card stopped working after they replaced it. ... I wound up cancelling the (Shaw Direct) account.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Didn't know where to post this, thought this might be the place to get an answer.

I can't log in to my Shaw account. Haven't do so it in years. Wanted to understand what I have because I may want to make some changes. I sent a request to send me a new password but the site says my email address isn't valid. Yes it is, I am getting and sending emails everyday. In fact Shaw sends me notices of autopayment to my email every month. The only thing I can think of is my email address is .com not .ca I have had this email account probably before there were .ca's

Any idea why it won't take?

PS: I am traveling in the US this week so I don't dare call till I am home next week.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Shaw Direct Website split-personality

Part of SDs website sends you confirmation of payment still regards your email address is valid then there must be a problem with SDs website. You should not have a problem calling SD to inform them of the problem while you are in the USA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a house about 300 km south of CanCun and have been receiving starchoice (shaw direct) for a number of years. Standard definition only. In Canada I recently had a firmware update and had to change the LNB as well. The story was that I would get more channels. After the update and the install of the new LNB I lost my service on my Mexican system as well as one I had installed on my Canadian shop. I replaced the LNB on my shop and put one of my upgraded receivers in the shop. This system works fine.
My Mexican system does not work after I replaced the LNB and brought a working receiver from home.
Has anyone ran into this problem and found a solution?

1001 - 1020 of 1875 Posts