Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2401 - 2420 of 2487 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just went through Bayguy's #388 post re:F2 channel list and it doesn't look too much different than when I left AZ in April. Therefore I plan on taking a 630 and 830 down in early November. I will look for updates on this site and I will post any furthur channels lost on F2 as we move toward the end of the year. Just hoping to get a full winter out of the present set up.
Unless you need 2 PVR's, I wouldn't bother taking down the 830. The 630 will bring in everything that the 830 can. I have one 630 in Mesa ready to turn on. Hopefully we'll get a few months out of it. I was going to replace my 630 but It looks like I'll have to return the 830 when I cancel in a few months.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Unless you need 2 PVR's, I wouldn't bother taking down the 830. The 630 will bring in everything that the 830 can. I have one 630 in Mesa ready to turn on. Hopefully we'll get a few months out of it. I was going to replace my 630 but It looks like I'll have to return the 830 when I cancel in a few months.
Gents,

My take is if you only plan to use one PVR, I'd take the 830 so you'd be protected to some degree if Shaw Direct pushes some of your channels to the HEVC (AKA H.265) codec that will be used on G1 and it will work on everything you can receive today. Of course this assumes you can get G1, which really depends on the size of your dish, and how far south you go. I doubt you'd get much in Arizona (see Telesat Anik G1 Satellite Coverage Map ) regardless of Dish size.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Gents,

My take is if you only plan to use one PVR, I'd take the 830 so you'd be protected to some degree if Shaw Direct pushes some of your channels to the HEVC (AKA H.265) codec that will be used on G1 and it will work on everything you can receive today. Of course this assumes you can get G1, which really depends on the size of your dish, and how far south you go. I doubt you'd get much in Arizona (see Telesat Anik G1 Satellite Coverage Map ) regardless of Dish size.
As of this morning Sunday Oct. 9 we are not receiving any channels in Florida. Unless there is some kind of outage today. it looks like this is the end of the road for snowbirds. :cry::mad:

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you go to the latest entries in the post called :
Shaw Direct to transition from MPEG-4 to HEVC

you will see the channels that are moving in a months time to G1.
Also see them here:
Does this mean that we need the 800 level receiver, or is it referring to the upgrade to the head unit form several years ago?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
818 Posts
The bottom line is everything is moving to the G1 Satellite, and will be using the more compact (than MPEG) HEVC Codec. The 8xx series receivers are the only current ones that can decode HEVC streams, so everyone must migrate to them or not receive Shaw Direct. G1's footprint doesn't go very far south into the USA, so a lot of Snowbirds will lose out.

·
Super Moderator
20,930 Posts
Does this mean that we need the 800 level receiver, or is it referring to the upgrade to the head unit form several years ago?
Shaw clarified in the other thread that the channels will still be in MPEG-4 format, which means the 6xx receivers will continue to receive all channels after November 9 if you can receive G1.

On November 9th, the channels listed (and a few HDPPV channels) will be migrating from Anik F2, to Anik G1, in MPEG-4 HD format.

Customers with a non-xKu LNB on their dish will lose access to these services, come November 9th. Anyone impacted would have received a message directly to their receiver on Friday directing them to this link (otherwise, there will be no impact).

·
Registered
818 Posts
But this shift on November 9th is only a Band-Aid as the plan is to move everything to G1 and 8xx series receivers as F2 is failing. They can't wait on F2 to die and lose the ability to transmit half their channels (and Customers no doubt). They need to act proactively. Undoubtedly they are going to lose some Customers by this move, but it must be their most cost effective move.

2401 - 2420 of 2487 Posts