Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2261 - 2273 of 2273 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Last Sunday - NFL games and simsubs for viewers in Montreal.

The 1pm game between the Packers and Bengals was available on Fox E and Fox W. The 4pm game between the 49ners and Cardinals was available on Fox W.

I must be thick because I can't understand why the Fox signals were not simsubbed since the games were also carried on CTV?

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
I must be thick because I can't understand why the Fox signals were not simsubbed since the games were also carried on CTV?
Neither of those games were carried by CTV Montreal, so they wouldn't be simsubbed for you. They probably were for the relevant cities. Extract from Bell Media's press release below.

Sunday 1 p.m. ET
Game 2 – Green Bay @ Cincinnati
CTV Toronto, CTV BC, CTV Alberta, CTV Ottawa, CTV Kitchener, CTV Northern Ontario, CTV Saskatchewan, and CTV2 Atlantic
Game 4 – New England @ Houston
CTV Montreal, CTV Atlantic, and TSN4

Sunday 4 p.m. ET
Game 7 – New York Giants @ Dallas – Kickoff 4:25 p.m. ET
CTV Toronto, CTV Montreal, CTV Ottawa, CTV Kitchener, CTV Northern Ontario, and CTV2 Atlantic
Game 8 – San Francisco @ Arizona – Kickoff 4:25 p.m. ET
CTV BC, CTV Alberta, CTV Saskatchewan, CTV Winnipeg, and RDS

·
Registered
303 Posts
@Dr.Dave - That part I understand. What I'm confused about is why the 1pm game was not blacked out on the Fox E and W channels since it was carried by CTV. Wouldn't that mean viewers in Toronto had the choice to watch the game on Fox (I assume with US ads) or CTV Toronto with Canadian ads?

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Green Bay @ Cincinnati wasn't shown on CTV Montreal, so it couldn't be simsubbed on your local station. It was shown on CTV Toronto, so it was probably simsubbed for people in that city, meaning that if they tuned to either Fox channel, they would see the Canadian broadcast with Canadian ads.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Got it. Can I assume if I had watched the game on Fox from Montreal it would also have been the Canadian feed with local ads?

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Got it. Can I assume if I had watched the game on Fox from Montreal it would also have been the Canadian feed with local ads?
I don't understand your question. Green Bay @ Cincinnati wasn't shown on CTV Montreal, so you would see the U.S. feed on Fox.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Green Bay @ Cincinnati wasn't shown on CTV Montreal, so it couldn't be simsubbed on your local station. It was shown on CTV Toronto, so it was probably simsubbed for people in that city, meaning that if they tuned to either Fox channel, they would see the Canadian broadcast with Canadian ads.
I can confirm that CTV Toronto feed was simsubbed over the Fox feed in GTA

·
Registered
303 Posts
OK so that's confirmed, thanks @frenchophile. Since both the CTV Toronto and Fox feeds were available in Montreal, my question was what feed would we see in Montreal? In other words if we selected 133 CTV Toronto would we see the simsubbed Toronto feed and if we selected 233 Fox would we see the non-simsubbed Fox feed or the simsubbed Toronto feed?

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
if we selected 233 Fox would we see the non-simsubbed Fox feed or the simsubbed Toronto feed?
You should see the non-simsubbed Fox feed on 233, but I'm not sure what you would have seen on CTV Toronto. That depends on exactly how the Shaw Direct software is written. It is meant to emulate what would happen in a terrestrial TV provider.

For example, if you had Bell Fibe TV in Montreal, which carries all the CTV channels, you would see the U.S. feed on the Fox channel, since the authorization for CTV to simsub a signal is based on the same program being shown in the broadcast area of your local station (CTV Montreal).

Keep in mind, as far as Shaw knows, you are in Montreal, and you saw the Fox feed with the U.S. ads. My guess is that if you had tuned to see the CTV Toronto feed, you would have seen the simsubbed game with Toronto ads. It should have been visible to you since CTV Toronto is on the F2 satellite.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That depends on exactly how the Shaw Direct software is written. It is meant to emulate what would happen in a terrestrial TV provider.
Do you mean if I had an OTA antenna in Montreal tuned to the Fox channel in Vermont, I would see Canadian ads?

·
Super Moderator
18,639 Posts
Do you mean if I had an OTA antenna in Montreal tuned to the Fox channel in Vermont, I would see Canadian ads?
Nobody is able to change the OTA signal that you receive from Fox. Terrestrial TV providers are cable like Videotron and IPTV like Bell Fibe TV.

2261 - 2273 of 2273 Posts