Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2201 - 2220 of 2233 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
Global prefers that you watch the local station, because they get paid by the local advertisers, like "Joe's Pizza Shop". They get paid by the national advertisers like Ford regardless of which Global station you watch. If you watch a program on a U.S. station and it is simsubbed to Global, that gets counted as part of that Global station's viewership. Global doesn't get any money from Shaw Direct.

You're right. The U.S. networks are only allowed to own stations in 39% of the U.S. market and companies like Nexstar, Sinclair, etc. own the rest. That's why U.S. cable and satellite can only allow you to subscribe to your local stations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anik f2 is at end of life more transponders are being shut down G1 has 16 extended ku Canada beam Shaw has no choice to move more channel over to G1

Edit by 57 - Superfluous quotes removed.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Anik f2 is at end of life more transponders are being shut down G1 has 16 extended ku Canada beam Shaw has no choice to move more channel over to G1

Edit by 57 - Superfluous quotes removed.
Satdish are you talking about stuff that's been going on for a long time or did something just happen to F2 this weekend?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Global prefers that you watch the local station, because they get paid by the local advertisers, like "Joe's Pizza Shop". They get paid by the national advertisers like Ford regardless of which Global station you watch. If you watch a program on a U.S. station and it is simsubbed to Global, that gets counted as part of that Global station's viewership. Global doesn't get any money from Shaw Direct.

You're right. The U.S. networks are only allowed to own stations in 39% of the U.S. market and companies like Nexstar, Sinclair, etc. own the rest. That's why U.S. cable and satellite can only allow you to subscribe to your local stations.
Update: this morning at 11:40 am Eastern, 101 and 105 are showing Rachel show. 112 is no picture because it is not the Rachel show.

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
That definitely looks like an intentional simsub. Rachael Ray is a syndicated show, so it airs on various U.S. stations. I see it airs on WGN at the same time, so Global was probably simsubbing a U.S. station and asked SD to do all other Canadian stations as well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That definitely looks like an intentional simsub. Rachael Ray is a syndicated show, so it airs on various U.S. stations. I see it airs on WGN at the same time, so Global was probably simsubbing a U.S. station and asked SD to do all other Canadian stations as well.
Except not all the Global stations had picture: some still showed as Satellite lost signal.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Update: This morning (Tuesday) it seems there is no Rachael Ray show being broadcast. However The Morning Show was available on 101, 105, 112, 121 and 131 this morning. None of the other Global stations had signal.

Seems like there is no logical answer to this question.

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
goalsgo, makes sense to me. Those were the only Global stations that were broadcasting The Morning Show at the same time as your "local" Global station, so those were the only ones that could be simsubbed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
goalsgo, makes sense to me. Those were the only Global stations that were broadcasting The Morning Show at the same time as your "local" Global station, so those were the only ones that could be simsubbed.
Dr. Dave, I should have been more detailed: yes it would be logical except that according to the on screen program Guide, Global channels 143 (Kingston) 142 (Peterborough) and 139 (Durham) all had The Morning Show at the same time but they had no Satellite signal.

To your point yesterday of simsubbing, I thought this practice only applied when a US show ( example Rachael Ray) is carried by a Canadian network at the same time in Canada. But since The Morning Show is a Canadian show and not carried on a US station, why would SD simsub it? And only to certain markets?

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
OK, I see your point about the Southern Ontario stations. My only guess is that they left those alone because anyone in that region could be considered a target for local advertising on any of those stations. Simsubbing is normally used to replace U.S. ads, but the CRTC regs allow simsubbing Canadian stations.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I can tell you that Shaw Direct definitely simsubs a Global Ontario station for Global Montreal, Atlantic, and NTV in primetime. It wouldn't surprise me if it happens in daytime, too. We get ads for the Wee Tartan Shop which I believe is in the Kawarthas

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Pittsburg-Buffalo NFL game is not available on F2 channels in Southern provinces. Anybody know why SD is playing games like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a current printable list of channels that are available down south?

I am planning on being in AZ in November. I remember a couple of years ago there was the Shaw Direct full channel list with a bunch of crossed out channels in red on the list to indicate what would not be available. That was much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
Is there a current printable list of channels that are available down south?
If no one has a current list, you can always use the spreadsheets at Shaw Broadcast Services - Channel Charts (which are kept up-to-date, currently July 19, 2021)

F2 is the list of channels you can receive and G1 is the list of channels you can't receive - take your pick. (F1R is no longer in service) The channel numbers that SB uses are different than SD, so you'll have to go by the description.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If no one has a current list, you can always use the spreadsheets at Shaw Broadcast Services - Channel Charts (which are kept up-to-date, currently July 19, 2021)

F2 is the list of channels you can receive and G1 is the list of channels you can't receive - take your pick. (F1R is no longer in service) The channel numbers that SB uses are different than SD, so you'll have to go by the description.
Dr. Dave - I'm afraid because of what SD is doing right now, it's not possible to know which channel is coming from what bird. Apart from the Global channels I reported on last week, even 133 (CTV Toronto) or 214 (CTV Vancouver) and both US CBS feeds (all on F2) were "Satellite Signal Lost" on Sunday afternoon for the Steelers-Buffalo Bills game. As soon as game was over, signal came back on.

Is there any way of knowing what feed is being sent to a specific channel by looking at System Status or other?

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
Is there any way of knowing what feed is being sent to a specific channel by looking at System Status or other?
Maybe someone else can answer that. I've never had Shaw Direct. You probably won't be able to tell since you aren't receiving G1, but someone who does receive it may.

Out of curiosity, what city does Shaw think you're in based on your service address? It might make it easier to understand the simsubs.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You can tell by some of the hidden status screens which channel is being simsubbed but you would need to compare the frequency it shows to another channel, presumably on G1. Shaw Broadcast has up to date charts and there have been no planned moves between F2 and G1 for the foreseeable future. I believe Dr Dave is on to something with the question about your service address. If your service address is in Alberta for example it is possible for something like football a local CTV station coming from G1 is being simsubbed over both CBS feeds from F2 and the Vancouver CTV station. This may even be at the request of CTV or the local station so that you see local ads and not Detroit/Seattle ads in the case of CBS or Vancouver ads in the case of CTV.

·
Super Moderator
4,504 Posts
You can tell by some of the hidden status screens which channel is being simsubbed but you would need to compare the frequency it shows to another channel, presumably on G1. Shaw Broadcast has up to date charts and there have been no planned moves between F2 and G1 for the foreseeable future. I believe Dr Dave is on to something with the question about your service address. If your service address is in Alberta for example it is possible for something like football a local CTV station coming from G1 is being simsubbed over both CBS feeds from F2 and the Vancouver CTV station. This may even be at the request of CTV or the local station so that you see local ads and not Detroit/Seattle ads in the case of CBS or Vancouver ads in the case of CTV.
Salmon Arm BC used to be a good place for Starchoice / Shaw Direct and simsubs as they only had no programming substituted as there were no local stations.

2201 - 2220 of 2233 Posts