Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2181 - 2200 of 2233 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just read the following in the Montreal Gazette this morning. Question: why can't this same type of streaming be available for Canadians travelling South or anywhere else for that matter?

Anglophiles, rejoice! If you're looking for British television programming this side of the pond, you're in luck.
Goalsgo I'm not sure I understand your question, in this Shaw forum are you asking if Shaw can carry those services so you can see them with your Shaw subscription when your in the U.S.?

Britbox and Acorn are already in the U.S. so if you come here for the winter or whatever you can subscribe to them. I don't know if you can subscribe in Canada and use the same subscription here but if not you can make a new subscription from the U.S.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Goalsgo I'm not sure I understand your question, in this Shaw forum are you asking if Shaw can carry those services so you can see them with your Shaw subscription when your in the U.S.?

Britbox and Acorn are already in the U.S. so if you come here for the winter or whatever you can subscribe to them. I don't know if you can subscribe in Canada and use the same subscription here but if not you can make a new subscription from the U.S.
@Bayguy Thanks for your reply.

I should have been more precise in my post. With G1 stealing all those channels from us when we travel South, what I was asking about is not to get access to Brit shows but rather have a platform that would give us access to Canadian channels like Britbox or Acorn provide for British expats. If Shaw Direct can offer this package for British expats (or anyone else interested), why could it not offer a similar subscription package but with Canadian channels?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am sorry to lose U.K. shows, such as Midsomer Murders and Death In Paradise, to streaming services that were formerly carried by Shaw Direct channels. I pay enough for TV channels without internet streaming channels.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Agreed. Not liking streaming at all these days. Too fragmented, fractured, overpriced and underperforming. After I pay my cable or satellite bill, I NEVER have to sign-in to a channel/service, over and over again using cryptic, keyboard on-screen layouts using a remote control.
Rubbish…not to mention they track every show I watch.
creepy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed. Not liking streaming at all these days. Too fragmented, fractured, overpriced and underperforming. After I pay my cable or satellite bill, I NEVER have to sign-in to a channel/service, over and over again using cryptic, keyboard on-screen layouts using a remote control.
creepy.
Just wondering
creepy.
Have not been on here in a bit, we are New Brunswickers with a home in Sebring Florida, wondering if there is still some channels from Shaw Direct available in Florida. I don't know if Shaw Direct channel numbers are the same across Canada but our ones here in the Maritimes are 101 to 112 we also pay for 257 and 262. That's all we watch down there ie the news and a few news bits from Bloomberg.
As we have been gone since March 19th, 2020 and still can't get back but maybe the US border will open in or around Sept 20th if so we will be going probably in October late.
I know the F1 & F2 channels were in jeopardy when we were there so not surprised if their gone.....hope not.
So if anyone knows appreciate any information, thanks!
Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You will get channels off of F2 in Florida if you have the correct LNB on the dish. You will not get maritime locals if any. You will get Toronto and Vancouver major networks along with the major US Networks from Detroit and Seattle if they are in your package. If 257 through 262 are news channels then yes you will get these.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You will get channels off of F2 in Florida if you have the correct LNB on the dish. You will not get maritime locals if any. You will get Toronto and Vancouver major networks along with the major US Networks from Detroit and Seattle if they are in your package. If 257 through 262 are news channels then yes you will get these.

View attachment 12211
Thanks very much for your speedy response, I did get responses from several in the US on the RV Net Forum in their Technology forum but they did indicate they have not lost very many channels but it would be great to have someone in Florida to check the channels I mentioned IF they have access to them.
My LNB is the latest one and in Florida we have the bigger dish, actually the one that Shaw Direct recommended and sent me back in the days when they talked to you and helped over the internet to set it up like coordinates, etc (Circa 2012?).

Oh well it is what it is and if the channels are gone so be it, in our area in Florida a regular dish picks up many channels and they are free but nice to be in contact with home via Shaw Direct, we have been through Bell also until they changed Satellites also and all went black.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
284 Posts
@Canucktraveller

Per @LONSat's reply yes you will receive channels that are coming from F2. For your specific channels, I can confirm reception for the following in Florida: from 101 to 112 only 101, 105, and 112 work. These also work: 257, 258, 259, 261. We are not subscribed to 262 so cannot confirm but if it is on F2 you should have reception.

Happy travels!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't know if Shaw Direct channel numbers are the same across Canada
It is a satellite!!

@Canucktraveller
Per @LONSat's reply yes you will receive channels that are coming from F2. For your specific channels, I can confirm reception for the following in Florida: from 101 to 112 only 101, 105, and 112 work.
Goals2go how are you getting 101, 105, 112? They are on G1!

The lowest one we can get (except 100) is 121.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It is a satellite!!

Goals2go how are you getting 101, 105, 112? They are on G1!

The lowest one we can get (except 100) is 121.
@Bayguy OK I swear I'm not hallucinating. Before writing my message this morning I checked channel by channel from 101 to 112 twice just to make sure and we had picture on 101, 105 and 112. Like you I was not expecting this but that's what we got. I thought maybe SD did some more channel switching since the last time we checked.

After reading your post, I went back and did the test again. This time there was no signal on these channels. Based on this test, I am kind of thinking maybe SD did something where they were using a feed from F2 for Global and sending it to these other Global channels?

Anyone have any other ideas for this strange occurrence?

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Canucktraveller

Per @LONSat's reply yes you will receive channels that are coming from F2. For your specific channels, I can confirm reception for the following in Florida: from 101 to 112 only 101, 105, and 112 work. These also work: 257, 258, 259, 261. We are not subscribed to 262 so cannot confirm but if it is on F2 you should have reception.

Happy travels!

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
I wonder if Shaw Direct was simsubbing another Global station for 101, 105 and 112 at the time, that happened to be on F2, such as Toronto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks goalsgo, anxious to get down to Florida, even if I can get one Atlantic channel it will be great, again thanks for your testing!....now if that US border can open.......

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks goalsgo, anxious to get down to Florida, even if I can get one Atlantic channel it will be great, again thanks for your testing!....now if that US border can open.......
Please make sure to read my post #2190 and following. There was something unusual happening when I made my test.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I wonder if Dr. Dave is right. We took all the 100s below 121 out of our guide months ago (last year?) when they disappeared.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wonder if Dr. Dave is right. We took all the 100s below 121 out of our guide months ago (last year?) when they disappeared.
He is probably right and it would certainly explain it. The thing is, why would SD do this? Is there a technical/financial benefit for them? By the way on Monday, I'll be testing again at around the same time to see if this is a recurrent event or just a one off.

We still can't figure out the rationale used by SD to select which channels would transfer to G1. Seeing this type of technical wizardry being possible, it is all the more frustrating that we lost most French channels to G1. :mad::mad: Seems to me there could have been a way to keep them on F2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
He is probably right and it would certainly explain it. The thing is, why would SD do this? Is there a technical/financial benefit for them? By the way on Monday, I'll be testing again at around the same time to see if this is a recurrent event or just a one off.

We still can't figure out the rationale used by SD to select which channels would transfer to G1. Seeing this type of technical wizardry being possible, it is all the more frustrating that we lost most French channels to G1. :mad::mad: Seems to me there could have been a way to keep them on F2.
The problem is satellite capacity Telesat is dead no new Geo satellites have been announced most of the Anik fleet are at end of life accept for G1 so are the Nimiq sats are approaching end of life

·
Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
The thing is, why would SD do this? Is there a technical/financial benefit for them?
"Sometimes, a Canadian signal from outside your area is replaced with a local signal." (Seeing Canadian Commercials on American channels | CRTC) I have a vague recollection that Global has requested these simsubs in the past. You would see your local Global station with your local commercials based on the postal code of your service address. They might only do this when they're simsubbing a U.S. station anyway.

The financial benefit is to Global, since they depend on advertising to operate. In Canada, TV providers don't have to pay for local Canadian or American broadcast networks. In the U.S., the cable and satellite companies have to negotiate with each local TV station and pay retransmission fees, in the range of $1/month/subscriber/station. So, a big company like Nexstar that owns a couple hundred local stations makes half their money from advertising and the other half from licence fees, making them much more profitable.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
In Canada, TV providers don't have to pay for local Canadian or American broadcast networks. In the U.S., the cable and satellite companies have to negotiate with each local TV station and pay retransmission fees, in the range of $1/month/subscriber/station. So, a big company like Nexstar that owns a couple hundred local stations makes half their money from advertising and the other half from licence fees, making them much more profitable.
Dr. Dave isn't that b'cuz in the States networks are only allowed to own a few stations so mostly the stations are from other companies like you said Nextstar and they don't like if you watch some other companies station from another city, but in Canada they're mostly owned by the networks so Global doesn't care which Global station you watch b'cuz it's still Global and they get the money.

2181 - 2200 of 2233 Posts