Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2101 - 2120 of 2148 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We may think it is a big deal to us and it is but to SD really what percentage of customers are south? Also when I switched to cable I then only went monthly for the south so next to no revenue for them. In fact I will admit that customer service did me a favor last trip and connected me to an account(not mine) for some reason and they got no revenue from me for 2 months. I tried to talk to them but was not getting friendly interaction so just accepted it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Is it mean that we can hired a company and have them change the orientation to G1!
Luc besides what 57 said (he really knows this stuff!), if you could get G1 you already would b'cuz your dish would have been set up to get G1 and F2 right from the start. (Also F1 before?) Where are you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Luc besides what 57 said (he really knows this stuff!), if you could get G1 you already would b'cuz your dish would have been set up to get G1 and F2 right from the start. (Also F1 before?) Where are you?
Sorry to be late I am in Naples Florida during the winter and did this for the last 12 years
The reason of my question was because all other time before i was able to have a technicien locally here who was able to find or align my dish to the new satellite. So if we know it is G1 I thought it was possible for them!
So case close the way i see the above thread right? because nothing in the near future with Shaw?
Unless i want to use the temporary option with 1.1.2.2 allowing me to register one channel at the time I should cancel my contract with them and only use the web from my spare computer using ToutTv or TVA Rattrapage or the best option is illico the account of my son that give me acces to everything free with Winscribe as a VPN, allowing me to have all past series or watch Hockey RDS or TVA

So unless a surprise happen I am going back home QC next month and will only used the free Illico saving a lots of money per year almost 1000$ a year on my case

Luc

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sorry to be late I am in Naples Florida during the winter and did this for the last 12 years
The reason of my question was because all other time before i was able to have a technicien locally here who was able to find or align my dish to the new satellite. So if we know it is G1 I thought it was possible for them!
So case close the way i see the above thread right? because nothing in the near future with Shaw?
Yes, sorry, anything on G1 you cannot get in Florida (like 57 said). As other ppl have said G1 is almost full but if they get a new satellite it will probably be more like G1 then F2. If the channels you want have moved to G1 then that's the end of the story for them, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
If Shaw Direct uses a different satellite, it will probably use the frequencies of either F1 or F2. The reason G1 isn't allowed to broadcast into the southern U.S. is because it would interfere with other communication that use the same frequencies as G1.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If Shaw Direct uses a different satellite, it will probably use the frequencies of either F1 or F2. The reason G1 isn't allowed to broadcast into the southern U.S. is because it would interfere with other communication that use the same frequencies as G1.
But would the footprint be like F1 or F2? Have you heard anything about a new satlite?

·
Super Moderator
17,878 Posts
Some people have mentioned steering an existing satellite into the correct orbit, but I have no idea what might be available. I haven't checked for quite a while, but launching a new satellite has a very long lead time and there was nothing on the schedule. If they use the same frequencies as F1 or F2, there's no reason they couldn't have the same footprint, but that might depend what they get for an existing satellite.

·
Super Moderator
56,759 Posts
Just remember that, as indicated in the second link of post 1 of this thread, Shaw Direct has been directed by the Canadian Government to update their equipment as economically possible and to preclude their signals from getting to the southern US. It as been a "bonus" for the Shaw Direct customers in the "Southern Provinces" to have had signals for as long as they have.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Thank you Dr. Dave and 57. Yes I know we are lucky to get SD down south and it will all go away sometime. I feel bad for snowbirds who get SD at home and want it when they come to the US. They will be sadder then ppl who aren't Canadian.

·
Registered
41 Posts
SHAW'S FATAL BLOW TO FRENCH CANADIANS SUBSCRIBERS.
They have decided to remove major French networks like Radio Canada,TVA, RDI, LCN,RDS & TVA Sport etc, instead of secondary channels like Teletoon, Addik, +,Artv, Evasion Elle,etc which are not nearly as watched as the majors. I don't understand their rationale. Had they eliminated the secondary channels we would have a reason not to dump them.
However they give us all the incentives we need to cancel our accounts!
I just don't understand!

·
Registered
259 Posts
SHAW'S FATAL BLOW TO FRENCH CANADIANS SUBSCRIBERS.
They have decided to remove major French networks like Radio Canada,TVA, RDI, LCN,RDS & TVA Sport etc, instead of secondary channels like Teletoon, Addik, +,Artv, Evasion Elle,etc which are not nearly as watched as the majors. I don't understand their rationale. Had they eliminated the secondary channels we would have a reason not to dump them.
However they give us all the incentives we need to cancel our accounts!
I just don't understand!
Totally agree. I had even mentioned this to K10189 several months ago to no avail. It is not a very "rational" decision. When one considers upwards of 500,000 Quebecers hibernate south in the wintertime, how can SD ignore those numbers? Yet I keep receiving e-mail messages from SD offering me (in Montreal) a free month by referring new subscribers. Go figure!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm no satellite expert but it seems to me looking at all the channels still on F2, my suggestion to SD would have been: move all the radio station channels, all the Stingray music feeds, all the Pay per View channels and all the adult channels to G1. Wouldn't that be enough to keep 7 or 8 French majors on F2?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm no satellite expert but it seems to me looking at all the channels still on F2, my suggestion to SD would have been: move all the radio station channels, all the Stingray music feeds, all the Pay per View channels and all the adult channels to G1. Wouldn't that be enough to keep 7 or 8 French majors on F2?
I would be curious to know the viewership numbers of channels like Cottage Life,Game TV,MTV,HLN,Documentary.etc and compare them to the ratings of all the major ones they chose to remove.Again on a business point of view their move doesn't make any sense to me.Nevertheless K801809 could certainly explain to us the reasons why they chose to remove the major & most watched channels instead of the least watched,but I doubt that he will come forward.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have tagged K8 a couple of times recently in this thread but she has not responded. Usually she does. Dunno whats up.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Don't forget Shaw Direct cannot knowingly provide service to people in the US. Channels moves should be made independent of where they might be received as well. k8 will have an idea of the scope of US subscribers by activity in this and other threads. Don't think someone from Bell also reads these threads? Bell is probably well aware of the situation. If Shaw Broadcast/Shaw Direct is seemingly moving channels preferentially to maintain the optimum channels on F2, someone from Bell might nudge someone at Shaw or a regulator to what would seem to be activities that fly in the face of not providing or maintaining US subscribers.

The current situation is unfortunate for those who can only receive F2. The ability to receive Shaw Direct for this long in the US has been a bonus. Those days are numbered as F2 ages and all it would take is the failure of more transponders or another system fault to end it altogether. The fact that they are moving channels to G1 is concerning as there does seem to be a plan to address the eventual demise of F2 in the way of either a new satellite or utilizing one that might already in orbit that has more life (than F2) left in it. My fear is that they will try to move everything to G1 with more compression or fewer PPV or a combination of both.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Firestick, is a device purchased from Amazon, and lets me watch the Radio Canada, and TVa using a VPN to block the origin of my signal.
OK got it, thank you. But how do you operate the Firestick to get those channels? And can you get other channels like RDS and TVA sports?

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK got it, thank you. But how do you operate the Firestick to get those channels? And can you get other channels like RDS and TVA sports?
I am using a VPN from the web called WIndscribe allowing me to connect in ''MTL old port'' and with this you can go to any site in French like TVS RC Sport etc
If you know someone friend of family having a ILLICO VIDEOTRON ACCOUNT LIKE MY SON YOU CAN HAVE everything ON YOUR COMPUTER AND CONNECT TO A TV

2101 - 2120 of 2148 Posts