Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
3121 - 3136 of 3136 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
My old 630 appeared to have gone T up Needed four hard reboots to get going.
Mine was also doing this, rebooting all the time and also having problems recording complete shows.
I replaced the factory HDD with an SSD drive and the unit is now flawless, and a lot snappier.

I used a 1TB Western Digital WD RED SA500 SATA SSD 2.5" (WDS100T1R0A).
CDN$ 173.24 on Amazon.ca

Reactions: QCK

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine was also doing this, rebooting all the time and also having problems recording complete shows.
I replaced the factory HDD with an SSD drive and the unit is now flawless, and a lot snappier.

I used a 1TB Western Digital WD RED SA500 SATA SSD 2.5" (WDS100T1R0A).
CDN$ 173.24 on Amazon.ca
You replaced the internal drive? Is there a procedure online or some instructions for the setup (formatting, etc).

·
Super Moderator
56,971 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you. I was not aware of that thread.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My last 630 (owned) is finally circling the drain. It's a secondary (bedroom) unit, and the hard drive has been showing signs of failure for a year (mostly hanging/crashing during playback). After a couple of power dips due to thunderstorms recently, it's now saying it doesn't even detect a hard drive, nor a second tuner (which I assume is a direct correlation).

Any tips on how best to get SD to replace it (refurb is fine) at lowest cost? Should I go ahead and try to connect through to Retentions (does that even exist anymore?) or just the usual tech support route. Anyone done this recently and know the replacement cost?

I have two 830s which are doing fine, so I may just swap this out with a non-PVR.

·
Registered
539 Posts
After a little over 10 years, it looks like my 630 has died. There really was no warning, it was working fine since I swapped out the hard drive (four years ago, I think?)
The unit powers on and displays the horizontal bars, but then nothing ( ie, STRT, RUND, HOLD) comes on the receiver. Interestingly, when I push remote buttons, the indicator light blinks.

I opened it up to see if I could see anything obvious. I cleaned out the dust and tried to turn it on again, but nothing happened.

Anyway, I'm open to ideas/suggestions to try to repair this

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting situation last night as the thunderstorms rolled in: our main 630 that I was watching lost sat signal; my wife was watching the same channel on our other 630 and it never once lost signal. Maybe I have a cabling problem, but I've never seen a signal strength much less than 90 (except for weather events).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yesterday (Dec. 25) the football game between Colts and Cardinals was carried by Sports Net on 311 and 313. We were tuned in to 311 with picture. We wanted to record the game so I pressed the "record" button on the remote: nothing happened. We switched to 313 with picture. I pressed the "record" button on the remote. This time we got the "Do you want to record this program" message etc. and it started recording. This was on our 630 PVR.

We have never experienced this before. Any "expert" ideas as to what happened there?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm trying a second time to hopefully get some answer on what happened to us a couple of weeks ago. The game between the Colts and Cardinals was carried by TSN on 311 and 313. Since we were going out that afternoon we wanted to record it. We were tuned in on 311 with picture and hit the Record button on the remote: Nothing happened.

We then switched to channel 313 and hit the record button. This time we got the "Do you want to record this program" message etc. and it started recording. This was on our 630 PVR.

We had never experienced this before so any ideas that could explain what happened would be welcome.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm trying a second time to hopefully get some answer on what happened to us a couple of weeks ago. The game between the Colts and Cardinals was carried by TSN on 311 and 313. Since we were going out that afternoon we wanted to record it. We were tuned in on 311 with picture and hit the Record button on the remote: Nothing happened.

We then switched to channel 313 and hit the record button. This time we got the "Do you want to record this program" message etc. and it started recording. This was on our 630 PVR.

We had never experienced this before so any ideas that could explain what happened would be welcome.
Hello! Sorry I've missed this - I don't totally recall what region of the country you/you're account is located in or if you've mentioned it previously. You should be aiming to use the Sportsnet channel from your region primarily even if the same program is airing across two channels. Is 311 or 313 more applicable to your region? Thinking this might help me understand. Here is the provincial designation:

Sportsnet Pacific for BC/YT
Sportsnet West for AB/SK/MB/NT/NU
Sportsnet Ontario for ON
Sportsnet East for QC/NB/NS/NL

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello! Sorry I've missed this - I don't totally recall what region of the country you/you're account is located in or if you've mentioned it previously. You should be aiming to use the Sportsnet channel from your region primarily even if the same program is airing across two channels. Is 311 or 313 more applicable to your region? Thinking this might help me understand. Here is the provincial designation:

Sportsnet Pacific for BC/YT
Sportsnet West for AB/SK/MB/NT/NU
Sportsnet Ontario for ON
Sportsnet East for QC/NB/NS/NL

Thanks!
@k801809 Thank you for the response. (y)

In answer to your question we are in Montreal. FYI the game was not carried by Sportsnet: it was on TSN. I'm assuming your recommendation to use the channel carried in our region is to avoid running into a regional blackout issue. But as mentioned in my message, we had picture on both 311 and 313 so it's not like one channel was blacked out and the other not. Also, we have never experienced this before: we are always able to record a channel that has a picture on it.

We were tuned in on 311 with a live picture and hit the Record button on the remote like we do hundreds of times. But in this case nothing happened. There was no error message or anything to tell us we couldn't record on 311. We then tuned to 313, had the same live picture and hit the Record button on the remote. This time we got the "Do you want to record this program" message etc. and it started recording.

We lucked out because we were home to start the recording but what would have happened if we had programmed the recording in advance on channel 311?

Ah, Sweet Mystery of Satellite TV Life!

·
Registered
419 Posts
"We lucked out because we were home to start the recording but what would have happened if we had programmed the recording in advance on channel 311?"

It probably would have worked. OR you'd have to watch CFL.

3121 - 3136 of 3136 Posts