Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3101 - 3112 of 3112 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you tried another drive? One of the issues I've found, and why I won't use them, is that any fault with external eSATA connections has the possibility of making the main device unstable. I had a STB once that rebooted every time the eSATA cable moved. The fault was with the eSATA connector in the STB. It was a refurb so I figure someone else must have damaged it and sent it back under warranty. It seems like little as possible effort goes into testing and fixing faulty STBs so that left the next customer to deal with it. Most people wouldn't have an issue until they tried to attach an external drive.
Don't have another drive to try (not yet anyway). As is often the case there's recorded material on the External that I'm rather anxious to recover. A few TV shows where I was interviewed - my Mrs. kinda' wanted to keep those. And I had some Allman Brothers and Tragically Hip concert stuff I enjoy. Among others.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
It may be that the external case or the drive's power block is faulty. With a SATA to eSATA adapter cable, the external drive can be tested on a PC. Some PCs have an eSATA adapter on the back panel. It's usually possible to remove the actual drive from the external case and install it in a PC or another case for testing.

p.s. Due my previous experiences with eSATA, I opted for installing a larger internal drive over using eSATA with the 630. There is a thread on replacing the 630 hard drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
eSATA and SATA cables do not carry any current. That's provided separately using power cables, though they are sometimes called eSATA power cables due to the eSATA specific power connector. 3.5" eSATA drives typically consume about 0.5A on average when operating but it can vary from 0.1A to 1.0A. That's not a lot. The power cables can easily carry that without even getting warm. There must have been a fault in the cable.
That may be true in a PC, but not all STB are created equal (though we would like to hope they are from reputable sources). Go to your local electronics store and gaze at all the cables. Or Google "sata power adapter cable".

·
Registered
389 Posts
That may be true in a PC, but not all STB are created equal (though we would like to hope they are from reputable sources). Go to your local electronics store and gaze at all the cables. Or Google "sata power adapter cable".
eSATA for the 630 STB has to be externally powered e.g. wall wart.

sata power adapter cable is the, well, power cable. The sata data cable is a small flat cable that doesn't carry power.

There's an 11 pin esata cable that does carry power, but not in this case.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have an HDPVR630, last few days the recorded video is all jittery. Plays everything fine live, only affects recordings. Tried re-booting the receiver, makes no difference.
Might that indicate a bad internal hard drive?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Have an HDPVR630, last few days the recorded video is all jittery. Plays everything fine live, only affects recordings. Tried re-booting the receiver, makes no difference.
Might that indicate a bad internal hard drive?
I’ve had every recording be effected with drop-outs the last three days. MSNBC, CBC, Discovery Velocity, Etc. Tonight was the first time I’ve watched any of those channels without disruptions. Something got better at Shaw. And you?

·
Registered
407 Posts
@tvmaster ours always played live tv fine, but we use it to PVR quite a bit, only notice the stutter problem on PVR playback. Seems to affect all recordings made over the last 3-4 days, was intermittent before that. Just checked the satellite TP signals, they all are very good right now but it's clear and not terribly windy. It's warmer today too; just realized the problem might have started when the really cold weather started so that could be a clue... No recordings scheduled until later this evening so we'll see how that turns out. Maybe LNBF issue showing up in cold weather?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
@tvmaster ours always played live tv fine, but we use it to PVR quite a bit, only notice the stutter problem on PVR playback. Seems to affect all recordings made over the last 3-4 days, was intermittent before that. Just checked the satellite TP signals, they all are very good right now but it's clear and not terribly windy. It's warmer today too; just realized the problem might have started when the really cold weather started so that could be a clue... No recordings scheduled until later this evening so we'll see how that turns out. Maybe LNBF issue showing up in cold weather?
Yes, me as well. Live sounds fine, but there are obviously tiny disruptions in the live feed which are causing recording errors of some kind. That, or the drive is too full. I try and keep it 20% empty.

·
Registered
221 Posts
With HDPVR 630s aging, if you don't use the feature, I'd recommend turning LOD (live off disk) off in the Tuner/PVR settings. This would make it so that you can't automatically rewind live TV you've been sitting on, but may increase the lifespan of the hard drive.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cleaned out the PVR and tried some new recordings, recorded one of the NCIS programs. It was so jittery it is almost unwatchable. There was no indication of pixelation or jitter in the live image or sound. In fact there is really no pixelation in the recorded stream just horrible jitter. Leads me to believe it's either something in between the receiver and recording system, or a bad drive. Likely the latter.
Is there a way to re-format the HDD in this unit? We usually don't use more than 20% of the drive so maybe a re-format would delete a bad sector and the drive would still be usable... Just a thought. I'll have to look through the destructions I guess.
Never have had this issue with the FTA equipment, however it all records through the network on a NAS. Wish I could do that with this receiver.

3101 - 3112 of 3112 Posts