Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
3081 - 3100 of 3136 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
I wonder if the replacement 630 had a wonky fault in the horizontal/vertical selection circuit since the satellite cables all worked properly with the 600. Anyway - the replacement 630 is going to the dump.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Last night we were going to watch The Sounds on 15 minute "tape delay". I was recording on CBC Windsor (the recording was set to All Channels but that's the on it picked). I tuned to the channel and all I got was a black screen (no audio either). I then tuned to CBC Toronto and the show was playing. Back to CBC Windsor and no show. I set up the PVR to record on a different channel next time. Then I went to the PVR and the entire recording was there, apparently recorded on CBC Windsor. I'm very confused.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We have two 630 PVR's on and right now we are watching the football game on Fox 233. One of the 630's has the game on with picture and the other one has nothing on, no sound or picture. We did a front button reset and it came back for about 10 minutes and then went out again. The other one is still fine. Looking at the Status screen for the one with no picture it shows -2.7 db. The working one shows 8.5 db. My set-up passes through a switch.

Would anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m contemplating on buying a 630 that hasn’t been used and wondering if I should buy an external hard drive, or attempt to change out the internal hard drive with a larger one...

Thoughts on either scenario? Which has worked better? If I went internal which one should I get? If I went external which one should I get?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m contemplating on buying a 630 that hasn’t been used and wondering if I should buy an external hard drive, or attempt to change out the internal hard drive with a larger one...
I was just reading the threads on HD replacement in the 630 today, because mine is showing signs of impending demise. I was left with the thought that by the time I buy a drive and external eSata housing, and maybe one of the funky screwdrivers, I might be close to the warranty replacement or refurb cost from SD. I plan on pinging them next week to get a replacement cost for a refurb or even an 830 upgrade before deciding how to proceed.
If you're getting this used 630 for nearly-free (like, $20), it may be worth it for you. And if by "hasn't been used" you mean packed in a box, then you're not in a rush to do anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was just reading the threads on HD replacement in the 630 today, because mine is showing signs of impending demise. I was left with the thought that by the time I buy a drive and external eSata housing, and maybe one of the funky screwdrivers, I might be close to the warranty replacement or refurb cost from SD. I plan on pinging them next week to get a replacement cost for a refurb or even an 830 upgrade before deciding how to proceed.
If you're getting this used 630 for nearly-free (like, $20), it may be worth it for you. And if by "hasn't been used" you mean packed in a box, then you're not in a rush to do anything.
i can imagine most 630s are somewhat close to obsolete - perhaps Shaw will be bringing out a newer receiver shortly... Amy speculation on that?

·
Registered
146 Posts
i can imagine most 630s are somewhat close to obsolete - perhaps Shaw will be bringing out a newer receiver shortly... Amy speculation on that?
Yeah, the 830, several years ago. We're not seeing any investment in the satellite TV biz since then. I seriously doubt we'll see anything new in our lifetimes (or satellite TV's lifetime, whichever comes first).

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
The satellite TV business in Canada and the US is shrinking at a rapid rate. It's only going to get worse as more people get wired for fibre, and high speed internet and streaming expands. Low orbit satellite internet services such as Starlink could make geosynchronous satellite TV obsolete. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Canada's satellite TV services shut down in a few years.

·
Registered
418 Posts
nusat1: do you have other PVRs that are filling up? I'm wondering why you'd want to replace a drive on a new PVR.

I have two 630s and I've been using them for years. While there are some irritating things about the 630s, I have no need to replace them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have 2 630's and have noticed that occasionally, if I leave it on a certain channel (eg, CNN 258) while watching a recording, when I have finished watching it, Ch. 258 is black. I change channels and go back to it and it's still black. This has also happened with other channels (131 and 133).The only way to get them back is to re-start the receiver by holding the on/off button to re-boot. Has anyboby else had this problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have my 630 connected to a purpose-built WD MyBook AV external HD. Been working fine for years. Skip to January 12-14th, 2021 when Shaw did a upgrade outage. The next day I noticed the 630 wasn't on. And it would not boot until I tried disconnecting the external HD - then it was fine. I took the External to my PC, hooked it up (USB) and the PC recognized it right away. That's as far as I could go with the PC. Took the External back to the 630 - nothin' doing.
Let us assume (for now) that the External is corrupted (or something). If it is attached to the 630 and not powered up the 630 refuses to re-boot (cold or soft).
So, turned on or off doesn't matter. As long as the HD is connected the 630 will not boot up. And none of that seems logical to me. I've gone into the 630 set-up and disconnected the HD there. Doesn't make any difference. That 630 will not boot as long as that Sata cable is connecting the two units. And, I reiterate, doesn't matter if the External HD is powered up or not.
I spent over three hours on the phone and e-chat with call centre and tech support and all that happened is they got frustrated (I'm not aggressive - I worked in a proprietary satellite field so I know how to be nice to techs who are constantly bombarded and inundated with service calls. 😇)
Any ideas??????

·
Registered
106 Posts
What happens if you unplug the cable on the external case side ie leave it plugged into the 630?

Try unplugging the 630 for a few minutes and turn it on with the cable unplugged.
Once the receiver is stabe, plug the cable and turn the external drive on.

Edit by 57 - Unnecessary Quote Removed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What happens if you unplug the cable on the external case side ie leave it plugged into the 630?

Try unplugging the 630 for a few minutes and turn it on with the cable unplugged.
Once the receiver is stabe, plug the cable and turn the external drive on.

Edit by 57 - Unnecessary Quote Removed.
Tried that already. 630 locks up for a bit (will not respond to any remote commands) then shuts down.
Long shot. Do you have another cable to try.
That cable is on my shopping list at Memory Express today.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Have you tried another drive? One of the issues I've found, and why I won't use them, is that any fault with external eSATA connections has the possibility of making the main device unstable. I had a STB once that rebooted every time the eSATA cable moved. The fault was with the eSATA connector in the STB. It was a refurb so I figure someone else must have damaged it and sent it back under warranty. It seems like little as possible effort goes into testing and fixing faulty STBs so that left the next customer to deal with it. Most people wouldn't have an issue until they tried to attach an external drive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They run a lot of current through those (internal) SATA cables. I had a STB that started smoking but a replacement cable from the local Micro Center fixed it up.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
eSATA and SATA cables do not carry any current. That's provided separately using power cables, though they are sometimes called eSATA power cables due to the eSATA specific power connector. 3.5" eSATA drives typically consume about 0.5A on average when operating but it can vary from 0.1A to 1.0A. That's not a lot. The power cables can easily carry that without even getting warm. There must have been a fault in the cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They run a lot of current through those (internal) SATA cables. I had a STB that started smoking but a replacement cable from the local Micro Center fixed it up.
I do work with high end audio (home stereo) including tube amps and when something 'lets the smoke out' it usually ain't a good thing!!! :oops:

3081 - 3100 of 3136 Posts