Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3061 - 3070 of 3070 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Follow up to my post of 29 May.

Strange events. I'm now running a 630 which had been in my bedroom as my primary receiver. So, I connected my "bad" 630 in the bedroom to see what would happen. It appeared to have the same problem as before, and it had not "booted up" when I went to sleep. But, when I woke up in the morning it was up and running like normal. I tried a reboot to see if it was indeed operating like normal (ok, I'm stupid). It had the same result - the boot sequence took a number of hours. I still think there's probably a hard drive problem, but at least I have a way of watching the recordings I hadn't watched before (for now).

My guess is it will fully fail in the near future. The only solution would probably be a hard drive replacement, but then I'd still have a ten (or more) year old receiver. At this point I'm thinking of replacing it with an 830. Are there any flaws in my thinking? (I'm assuming the 830 has all the kinks worked out by now.)

Thanks.
The 830 has:

No front panel clock
No front panel "Presently Recording" indicator
No front panel "Satellite Signal lost" indicator
No rear "Component" output

If those are not important for you then the 830 would be the logical choice.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In my case, I run HDMI to my media room TV elsewhere in the house and component to a TV close to the receiver TV. Since I've upgraded the 'local' TV I suppose I could use an HDMI splitter instead of one HDMI and one component.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Converters

That is an interesting article. Also interesting are all the other converters that are featured at the bottom of the Wiki. I like to know that there seems to be a converter for almost any situation, Even the oldest piece of equipment one finds in the attic or basement can be joined to almost anything modern.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been trying to find the answer before posting because I'm pretty sure I read about this over the years... I think the HD on my 630 is going out so I want to reformat it, and replace it if that doesn't work. What is the procedure to reformat the hard drive? I seem to recall a hidden remote sequence.

·
Registered
468 Posts
DSR6XX Factory Reset:
  • Hit the Options button at the bottom of your remote (next to 0)
  • Press 4-9-8-8-6
  • Contact ShawDirect for a rehit (can be done online or over the phone)

3061 - 3070 of 3070 Posts