Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3041 - 3060 of 3072 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
My 630s are immediately adjacent to each other. Yesterday I unplugged both for over a minute. When they booted up and the time displayed on the front panel, the minutes changed within a fraction of a second of each other. I booted my GPS (which I've always considered to be the gold standard for time) and it changed maybe 1/2 a second earlier than the 630s.

We've been missing player introductions on Jeopardy for some time but last night we didn't. Didn't miss the beginning of Survivor either.

Encouraging results.

·
Registered
338 Posts
By eye, my GPS was a very small fraction of a second behind the web clock. Could be lag in the display not necessarily the time used for calculations.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It looks like my 630 refurb is about to fail.
For the past few days it has been crashing randomly, and sometimes doesnt even boot.
My previous 630 had the same problems and was told it was because of some capacitor that would not charge anymore or something like that...

Im annoyed because getting a new receiver means losing all the recordings that I have.

There should be a way for an external drive to move from one device to another without losing its content.
What a pain.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Curiously, our 630 (purchased new way back) is also having random reboots just recently. So far seems to be when playing back previous recordings.
I have two 830s that I could rotate in, but the 630 is the one with all the scheduled recordings, and manually having to regenerate all those is a pain, so I'm avoiding that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I dont have a problem setting up the recordings, I think you can actually back them up to an USB drive somewhere in the settings.
My gripe is losing the recorded shows. I usually record full seasons of shows just in case they are cancelled midway and now I am going to lose them.
I am talking hours and hours of recorded stuff.
Shaw needs to change this. Its a pain, especially when the 630 is unreliable as heck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Last time I tried a backup/restore of the settings to a USB drive, it did not include any recording settings. It only included the "user settings".
And I have no reason to believe that a backup from a 630 will be readable on an 830.

But I totally agree on existing recordings. I don't use an external drive myself, so I'm doubly-boned if my 630 dies. :-(

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it's a cap in the switching power supply it's probably fixable. If I had some good search terms for the model number I could investigate. Then it would be a matter of finding someone to make the change.

·
Registered
558 Posts
DVR630 Married to HD for Life

bpsmicro, it is my understanding that the hard drive of a Shaw Direct DVR machine is married to the hardware of the DVR receiver. The receiver will not recognize recordings made to an HD not associated with the receiver. No backup is possible.

I am sorry to say that your recordings are lost if the receiver or hard drive goes kaput. An external drive may be recycled by a re-format by a new DVR – again old recordings are gone.

There is something to say about cable TV and their central cableco server based DVR service.
Does anyone know if any USA or Bell Canada satellite service offers a similar server based DVR service?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bell satellite uses a hard drive as well. And would suffer the same loss of recordings in the event of a failure.

For me, it's not something I lose sleep over, because these days pretty much anything I care deeply about will be on some sort of streaming service sooner or later (Crave, Netflix, etc), and for everything else, either roll back again on repeats or I just choose not to care.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Update on my receiver problem with the recordings...

I end up doing a PVR Flush as a last attempt before I would call Shaw to get a replacement and it fixed the receiver problems.
It now starts recording on top of the hour, no longer gets locked up for seconds/minutes at the top of the hour.

So there was definitely an issue with the database. (Likely caused with the many power outages we had last year).

Receiver is working fine for now.

One suggestion that I have for the devs is that it would be nice in the PVR List it should indicate if the recording is saved on the external drive.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It would be nice if the drive was specified, but the default is recording to the external drive so all recordings from the date the external drive would be on that drive.

Glad to learn that your receiver problems were rectified.

·
Super Moderator
56,466 Posts
...the default is recording to the external drive
Is that true? On Rogers PVRs, although the first few recordings would go to the eHDD, once the amount of space on each drive was equal (percentage-wise), then the next recording would go to the drive with more space, percentage-wise. Also, if there were two simultaneous recordings once the drives were "even" one would go to each drive. Of course the firmware on SD may be different from Rogers, but many PVRs work this way.

The two-tuner Bell PVRs (9XXX) with eHDDs are totally different as they are used to archive.

With SD it would be possible to test by disconnecting the eHDD and seeing if any recent recordings cannot be played... Of course if the iHDD was quite full when the eHDD was added and if you didn't delete any recordings from the iHDD, then all recordings would go to the eHDD since it would never get to the "equal" point.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In the options screen (where you can see the signal quality, trip count, map id, etc), press INFO on the remote to get access to that information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live down south, otherwise I'd probably call Shaw on this.

I took a phone call, paused my DSR 630 and left the room. When I returned there was no picture and a blank display on the 630. So, I did a reboot (held down power button.) Seemed normal, until... Sequence was the lower segment of the number LEDs for a short time, then the middle segments, then nothing. I waited a while and still no video or what I would expect next on the display (StRt). I can tell the receiver can get remote signal as when I select the power button I see two quick flashes of a period (.), which looks normal. When none of this worked I unplugged the receiver for five minutes, plugged it in and had the same result.

I listened close to the receiver and can hear the hard drive being accessed when I restart the unit (which makes sense to me), but I've had failed hard drives in computers act the same (like it gets part way through and then experiences a bad sector while loading the OS.) Sadly, the only way I could test that theory on my own would be to replace the hard drive, losing all programs I have recorded (sigh.)

Has anyone else seen something like this? Is there a guide to what the segment LEDs mean prior to the StRt display?

One last thing, I have another 630 in the house which worked fine through this whole time. I did a soft reset (power button) and watched the boot sequence. It worked as always.

I'm hoping someone can help. If not I can contact the folks I bought it from, but they aren't open until Monday morning. (It's Friday now.) My uneducated guess, without knowing the LED diagnostics would be to either swap out the hard drive or upgrade to an 830.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You correctly mentioned your southern options of buying a new 830 from your southern dealer or installing a new internal drive into the 630. Depending on the Canadian "connections" of your dealer and his technical competence you might want to go either way. I think that I would choose the new 830, but either way is OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow up to my post of 29 May.

Strange events. I'm now running a 630 which had been in my bedroom as my primary receiver. So, I connected my "bad" 630 in the bedroom to see what would happen. It appeared to have the same problem as before, and it had not "booted up" when I went to sleep. But, when I woke up in the morning it was up and running like normal. I tried a reboot to see if it was indeed operating like normal (ok, I'm stupid). It had the same result - the boot sequence took a number of hours. I still think there's probably a hard drive problem, but at least I have a way of watching the recordings I hadn't watched before (for now).

My guess is it will fully fail in the near future. The only solution would probably be a hard drive replacement, but then I'd still have a ten (or more) year old receiver. At this point I'm thinking of replacing it with an 830. Are there any flaws in my thinking? (I'm assuming the 830 has all the kinks worked out by now.)

Thanks.

3041 - 3060 of 3072 Posts