Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3021 - 3040 of 3070 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My preferred way to reboot is pressing HELP, OPTIONS, POWER on the remote. Just the easiest way to do it via remote.
Out of curiosity - are you doing this on 6 series or 8 series receivers, or both? I can’t get that three button combo to do anything. What’s the secret?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 630 for some time now always misses starting recording of the shows by a minute or so consistently.
Has anyone see the same thing with theirs?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My 630 for some time now always misses starting recording of the shows by a minute or so consistently.
Has anyone see the same thing with theirs?
Check your units clock time vs. atomic time at any, online world time site. If your unit is behind, do a hard reset, which should correct the internal clock.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I will check but I dont think the issue is the time, its just slow to get the recording started.
Im wondering if its doing Disk flushing and it just clogs the system.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The clock is about 1 minute behind.

I noticed that when I press the play button to get the view stats with the green bar at the bottom of the screen, the green bar that shows how much into the show it is playing does not actually go all the way to the left.
There is always a small gap which means to me that the receiver started the recording but for some reason it doesn't save to the disk that minute or so of video. (kinda like when the power goes out, there is a gap in the recording?)

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I rebooted and the issue remains, there is a gap at the beginning of about 30 seconds.

Basically what is happening is this, recording set to tape at 11pm. (the two tuners are available).

The time changes to 11pm and the receiver does something that takes at least 30 seconds before it starts recording. The first 30 seconds or so are lost for whatever reason.

I have an external 1Gb drive drive installed, and total usage for the system is 50%.

Diagnostics do not report any issues with the drives so what is the receiver doing that it takes 30 seconds to start recording?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FWIW I have a 605 and recently it was slow by about a minute for days so I unplugged it and when it came back the time was okay.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
With an external drive I found 50% was too high. I know...What!!? But I found I had problems when they got to that useage.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did not try the start early function yet, but I will probably try that.

Heres a good example of what happened tonight.
Had one show taping until 10pm while I watching a recorded show.
The recording ended and at 10pm there were two shows queued.
Got the little window note at 10pm that the show ended recording and for one minute it did nothing and then started recording the first show and two minutes later it started recording the second one.

I pulled the PVR recordings and it shows in it that the first show started taping at 10:01pm and the second show at 10:02pm.

Both scheduled to start recording at 10:00pm.

So there is something delaying the start of a recording. @k801809 would have any idea what can cause this delay?
The disk usage is at 50% with both disks at around 50% occupancy as well.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
static when you looked at the shows were they cut off? B'cuz sometimes channels don't start shows right at 10:00.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes they are cut off. Also noticed that during that period of time the receiver becomes unresponsive to remote commands and executes them once the recording starts.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
@OlStatic as odd as it may seem it is probably that your disk is at or over the 50% level. As an aside I have seen when you have two programs scheduled to record at the same time with the start early feature on. One program will start recording a minute early the other one will start on time. I do not see the issue you have with late starts though. Also how many titles you in your list several hundred or scores. ie lots of half hour shows or lots of 2 hr movies. Don't know how much space has to be allocated for the show header information but wonder if you are hitting a directory size buffer with lots of show titles. I try to keep my disk to at most 40%. There are times I say I ain't going to watch all this stuff and do a purge. The only other factor I can think of is the speed of your drive and whether it can keep up as programs start.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I do have lots of recordings thats for sure.

That is why I would love for @k801809 to jump in and maybe shed some light of what the receiver is doing in the background between recordings to basically 'lock up' the machine in that window between recordings.

I do have PVR history set at 90, but that should not have any impact for recordings?

Anyway I have changed the early start to 1 minute and I am still seeing recordings starting late.

Maybe I will verify with the external drive off and see how it performs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had a few power outages over the months and I just thought if the PVR database could have become corrupted and thats what bogging down the system.
Was there a number sequence that allowed to rebuild the database without losing the recordings?
I might try that too.

3021 - 3040 of 3070 Posts