Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2981 - 3000 of 3072 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
@mellaby. In your once the recording is setup, it would be probably best for you to edit the recording in PVR options and choose specific channel to avoid the system picking an unavailable channel.

·
Registered
438 Posts
@mellaby. In your once the recording is setup, it would be probably best for you to edit the recording in PVR options and choose specific channel to avoid the system picking an unavailable channel.
That's what I've been doing. I really don't see why It doesn't. I have Telus Optic TV in the summer and I can record the channel I pick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Assuming you select smart record episodes with any HD channels, it would be nice if the system would try to avoid recording 2 shows at once to try and always keep one tuner free, if there is a chance to record one of the 2 shows at at different time. Of course if both shows are only available at the one same time, then the system has no choice. Basically what I am asking for is the smart record feature should always avoid recording on both tuners at the same time unless there are no other recording time options. Hope this makes sense. Some of more advanced systems, like BlueSky and Telus allow you to record up to 6 shows at once which is absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
@LONSat Oh great, didn't know that. I will try it out. so if I enable this, then the smart record will work around it it it can't record 2 programs at the same time then. However I guess, if say I try and manually record a program while one tuner is recording then it will not allow me to though. Anyhow, thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
@Billy34 You may have to play around with priorities as well, say two programs are on at the same time but only one has a later showing. I think I have seen that if the show with only the one showing has a lower priority then the show with the higher priority will get the first recording slot and the other show will not record because it is lower priority. Sometimes you have to review the recordings look for conflicts and play with the priorities or cancel one so it picks up the later slots. Smart recordings work great most of the time but are no fool proof especially if you reserve a tuner for live viewing.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What’s with the new ‘current run time’ counter when you hit ‘Play’?

Just a day or two ago, if you hit the Play button on a DSR630, an indicator appeared at the bottom of the screen, showing you were 10, 30, 45 minutes into the program.
Now....an indicator appears at the right, reading out Time-of-Day where the recording currently sits. For example, if a recording fired at 7pm, the time indicator now reads 7:42:39 (eg). Yes, seconds have also been added.

Can we have the old system back please, or at least give us the choice of display? Now, I have to do math.

I don’t want to do math while I’m watching TV.

And for those who said the DSR630 would be ‘overworked’ with features ‘not many people want’, well, I don’t want this, it would appear it adds overhead (now counting seconds), and to my knowledge Shaw didn’t ask any of us if we wanted it anyway.

Sometimes, improvements just AREN’T.

;)

I’ll get used to it, and adapt (which is more than Shaw Customer Service does), but for now, “Get off my lawn!”

Later Edit: Ok, it turns out the time-of-day counter is only while the program is being recorded live. Like I said, I can adjust. Whew. Thought it was like that all the time. Rant over. lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
6XX features have not, and will not be changing, since November/December 2017. Any updates since then have been under the hood improvements only.

·
Registered
338 Posts
630 stuck on 144??

One of my 630s front panel display says 144 with no sat LED lit. There is no TV display and the front panel does not light the indicator that says it sees the remote. I've rebooted several times and tried a different dish with no effect. Normal boot sequence on the front panel but then 144. My other 630 works just fine.

It was working a week ago. Any suggestions to bring it back to life? I can't do a factory reset because it doesn't see the remote.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
To eliminate a line issue or multi-switch if one is in the mix can you move the non functioning 630 to the location of the working one to see if things improve?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Now I'm confused - I switched the sat leads off my working 630 and the malfunctioning 630 slowly came back to life. Then I switched back and both 630s are working. Maybe an intermittent connection on the coax?

Also, many of the buttons on the remote don't work. I have a sneaking suspicion that something may have been spilled on it. Time to take it apart and clean it. This certainly contributed to my thinking the rx wasn't working because it wasn't responding to button pushes.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The caller ID on my 630 is enabled, but it only works about 25% of the time. The rest of the time, when the phone rings, nothing appears on the screen.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know what causes it, and better still, how to resolve the issue?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Shaw Direct DSR630, DSR605 and atomic time - off?

Hi. Compared to various online, atomic time internet sites, and my cable company box, my Shaw Direct receivers are at least 25 seconds behind REAL, Atomic time.
Of course, this is messing up the start and end of recordings.
Where, who and how do we either reset our boxes (which I don't think will fix the problem) or find the correct contact person at Shaw to have a look at their internal time systems?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have had two receivers side by side and the time between them has been off by 10 or 15 seconds. Eventually they seem to resync. Not sure why they get out of sync. Perhaps try a front panel reset (hold the power button). To see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
ok. considering they get their time from outer space, there should be zero delay, unless the delay is caused by the length of coax running to each physical drop. That seems unlikely

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not sure if they get a time sync daily, when the guide updates, when the keys roll or some other schedule. I agree at most they should be only a couple seconds out of atomic time when allowing for uplink, downlink and processing.

2981 - 3000 of 3072 Posts