Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Space HD is on 363...

Ideally, and I've had this conversation with Shaw Direct, there wouldn't be a single SD channel. The reason they aren't implementing 8PSK is because they don't want to swap out the old boxes. Their Facebook page has the bulk of my conversation.

NFL Network
CBC Newsworld
CTV2

West HD networks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ideally, and I've had this conversation with Shaw Direct, there wouldn't be a single SD channel
You are correct. With every F1/G1/F2 transponder running 7 HD channels/transponder in MPEG4 8PSK, there is bandwidth for every present channel to be HD if SD is eliminated.

Shaw has passed on Extended Ku @ 111.1. Telesat's licence from Industry Canada for Extended Ku @ 111.1 expires in 2014 for G2 to be launched. The next chance for increased bandwidth in this arc is Reverse DBS @ 111.1 in 2023 at the earliest. Shaw is betting that 3D or UltraHD does not become the defacto standard before then.

Else we will see posts in 2019 like "Why does SD only have 12 UltraHD channels while everyone else has over 100?"

BTW. LG will be showing UltraHD sets at CES this year.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/26/lg-display-is-bringing-ultra-hd-tvs-in-multiple-sizes-high-res/

·
Registered
284 Posts
A Few Suggestions

BBC World HD
BBC Canada HD
PBS Seattle HD
CTV News HD
CBC Newsworld HD
CP24 HD
Bravo HD
TV5 HD

Won't be greedy; just asking for eight - unless Shaw realises one day that there are viewers who would love to see Euronews HD and TV Japan HD!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts