Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please post a list of 10 HD channels that you would like Shaw Direct to launch. These HD Channels do not have to be currently offered by any other provider in Canada. Please try to limit the number of "currently unavailable to Canadian's" channels if possible (MTV HD etc.)

My List:

CBC News Network HD
CNN HD
Spike HD
CBC Vancouver HD
CTV BC HD
City TV Toronto HD
Global BC HD
CBC Edmonton HD
CTV Calgary HD
Global Winnipeg HD

·
Registered
442 Posts
I could only come up with one

CBC Vancouver HD... then replace the Toronto feed with Ottawa or Montreal.

And use the free space from SD 8PSK conversion to raise the bitrate for all HD....

One can always dream ....

·
Registered
409 Posts
give me a college sports package that then offers

espnhd
and
espn2hd (at least when college bball or football are on since i know they won't offer them 24-7)

·
Registered
3 Posts
CBC News Network HD
CNN HD
Rush HD
Equator HD
CTV & CBC West HD

Don't really need Global + City since I get them via OTA. :)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Okay in order

Raptors TV HD
CBC Ottawa HD or CBC Montreal HD (for Habs or Sens games in 16:9 SD or HD)
CBC Vancouver HD
Bold HD
Gol TV HD (I know it doesn't exist yet, but it should soon)
Global HD (for In Plain Sight)
Citytv HD (for Law & Order: UK)
CBC News Channel HD
Spike HD

That is all I could come up with. Really only the top 3-5 are ones I really want.

seanwrestledude, CBC Edmonton and Global Winnipeg don't have HD channels, and I doubt they will any time soon, especially Global Winnipeg.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seanwrestledude, CBC Edmonton and Global Winnipeg don't have HD channels, and I doubt they will any time soon, especially Global Winnipeg.
I wasn't aware of this as I figured the big 3 (CBC, CTV, Global) already had HD channels in all the major Canadian cities. Below is my revised list:

CBC News Network HD
CNN HD
Spike HD
NFL Network HD
CBC Vancouver HD
CTV Vancouver HD
Global Vancouver HD
City TV Toronto HD
CTV Calgary HD
CTV Edmonton HD

·
Registered
187 Posts
NFL Sunday Ticket: ALL games should be HD (not just a couple). At a minimum it should have the same amount of games in HD as NHL Centre Ice offers.
Also Spike HD would be great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NFL Sunday Ticket: ALL games should be HD (not just a couple). At a minimum it should have the same amount of games in HD as NHL Centre Ice offers.
Also Spike HD would be great.
While I agree that having Sunday ticket in HD would be awesome I think priority needs to go out to adding more Canadian networks locals in HD first. Maybe adding half of the games in HD for now could be a compromise. Once all the Canadian locals have been added I would be all for having every game in HD. Though you won't convince me to fork out hundreds of dollars to watch my team the Jets play a couple of games unavailable on the US Nets. I'll let Boston Pizza cover that bill. :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
FOX News HD
TCM HD
SPIKE HD
Newsworld HD
CTV News Channel HD
NHL Network HD
Superchannel 3 HD
Superchannel 4 HD
Movie PIX HD
TBS HD

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here is the Reality List as how HD channels are picked

1) HD channels that SBS can make a profit at delivering to all cable/telco headends

2) What Shaw Cable wants

3) What other SBS cable customers want

4) What vocal SD customers ask for

As soon as Shaw purchase of Global is approved, expect to see
HGTV HD
Food HD
Global Toronto

That's why SBS is clearing a F1R transponder for by moving some standard defintion channels to 8PSK

Local HD channels will be MPEG4 DVBS2 on G1 in 2013

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
SeanWrestleDude, why do you want all of the Canadian local HD channels? Many of them don't produce anything in HD. As far as I know only CTV Toronto, CBC Toronto, CTV Vancouver and maybe CBC Vancouver and Global Toronto do local newscasts in HD.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts